All-Star Cost Of Allstar Vs Cost Of Other Sports

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know that allstar is not cheap, but seeing these answers about other travel sports lets me know allstar is not more expensive than baseball or hockey or dance. I think a common misconception among cheer peeps is that allstar is WAY more expensive than anything else.

Not sure how accurate this is, but on Dance Moms one of the mothers said she pays $16,000 a year. Not sure if that's just tuition, or travel costs included.

Not sure how accurate this is, but on Dance Moms one of the mothers said she pays $16,000 a year. Not sure if that's just tuition, or travel costs included.

I would think for everything - I see they are always taking a bus lol together, guess the moms can't be trusted to get them there :) They have to have a different costume for every different dance routine, so I am sure that adds up -plus the solos fees some of them do are extra, for music and choreo and entrance fee on top of the team entrance fee. I think I will stick to cheer lol

So when talking about Allstar in a general context and someone says this is a very expensive sport we are in should we take the stance that this is just as expensive as any other serious kids activity? I wonder if violin could be this expensive?

And, with how things are nowadays, you HAVE to specialize early to make your high school team (unless you live in a rather small town). To play baseball in our area in your high school you would need to have been playing travel ball for years. Those costs can be extraordinary.

Just bothered me I heard someone describe allstar as too expensive as compared to other sports. (though I am all for cost cutting measures... don't get me wrong!)

And, with how things are nowadays, you HAVE to specialize early to make your high school team (unless you live in a rather small town). To play baseball in our area in your high school you would need to have been playing travel ball for years. Those costs can be extraordinary.

At the high school I work at the only girls that get field time on varsity soccer are those that play on the coach's wife's club team. The jv and varsity girls volleyball teams are chosen well in advance of tryouts based on club play. Same with softball. Cheer down here is one of the few that doesn't have that yet. My youth 2 could whoop every varsity high school squad in our county.

At the high school I work at the only girls that get field time on varsity soccer are those that play on the coach's wife's club team. The jv and varsity girls volleyball teams are chosen well in advance of tryouts based on club play. Same with softball. Cheer down here is one of the few that doesn't have that yet. My youth 2 could whoop every varsity high school squad in our county.

that is how it is with everything these days. if you want to go to an ivy league school (as a colleague pointed out) you can't make that decision your junior year. you need to have been preparing possibly as far back as elementary school. start being in the advanced program and taking more advanced classes in middle school, and finally having your upper level / AP courses as well as ALL the extra curricular activities to make you stand out from your fellow students. one day when cheer is as widely popular as football or baseball it will be the same situation there as well.

Happily??? While I do think its worth every penny, its really is taking every penny from me! Raise to to twice as much? My daughter will be doing competitive crocheting.
I was of course joking...but I do think it is worth the money at least for the kids like mine that are totally obsessed. Not sure i would pay this much for something if I didn't see the dedication that is needed. BTW I struggle each year to pay for it but somehow we get it done.

kingston said:
that is how it is with everything these days. if you want to go to an ivy league school (as a colleague pointed out) you can't make that decision your junior year. you need to have been preparing possibly as far back as elementary school. start being in the advanced program and taking more advanced classes in middle school, and finally having your upper level / AP courses as well as ALL the extra curricular activities to make you stand out from your fellow students. one day when cheer is as widely popular as football or baseball it will be the same situation there as well.

Have you read the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell? I think it would interest you- it discusses this.

My own experience from having cp in competitive dance, high school cheer and now all-star cheer...cheer is much less expensive!! and less of a time commitment!
My cp danced 6 days a week/12-14 dances. With the tuition, costumes, shoes, tights, makeup, team jacket, travel, hotel, meals, etc is was over $6000 per year. Her dance studio was in a smaller community and therefore tuition was less costly than in the big cities here. With cheer, it's not even close :) She is in the gym 4 days a week right now (2 are for private tumbling) and even with the private tumbing costs we're not anywhere near the $6000/year.

My CP is starting allstars this year with a half season team. She also dances 5 hours a week. A full season at the gym we will be joining is about $3500 plus travel expenses for 2 overnights within driving distance. We come close to that with dance between tuition, shoes, coustumes, recital fees ect, and we don't compete there. I shudder to think what it would cost if we did.

I think, with all of these things though, you have to take into account the 'level' of comp play. Are we talking a smaller local gym that is cheaper but doesn't compete at as many 'big' nationals or doesn't have to travel as much? A club team for soccer or volleyball that stays in the region? Same goes for dance, my studio had a lot of inner-city kids who would work things off by teach other classes, some costumes were passed down to other dancers, etc. I used one of my sisters old group costumes for my solo to cut down on stuff..it would say it was about $2500 a year or so to dance which was about what I paid for Open (I think?). You figure though- most cheer gyms drop a lot of money on a uni that (usually, seems to be the case in this economy) lasts for a couple seasons. Whereas for things like dance, they need a costume for each routine and those change every year. My mum did say that my brother was the cheapest with volleyball, cost her about $400 or so for the whole season, plus they went to nationals which was $400 for that trip alone. Not the most travel-heavy team, I think the farthest they went from CT all season (besides nationals) was Penn State.

Gymnastics was about equal to cheer. The only thing that was significantly more expensive was the tuition, and the higher the level, the higher the cost. As for gear, competition leotards were near to $300 like cheer uniforms (less fabric too -___- ), warm ups varied in cost but were around $100 and grips were around $60 for the high quality ones. Thinking back on it, gymnastics probably was more expensive than cheerleading was for me!

As you go the the high levels of gymnastics it gets really expensive. Just the monthly fees alone can get really high.

Back