Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It can't hurt. We had to bring a kid in for an EKG and it was incredibly easy. We had an appointment with our local children's hospital two days after I called. (ETA - it was completely non emergency too. Just needed to be cleared to start a medication)

2. HeatUniqueJ

HeatUniqueJ Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Very informative thank you!

In the article the doctor said you are supposed to take at least 3 months of before returning to any kind of more intense activity (sports). While this seems like kind of a long time I would probably do it myself since no one really knows what all Covid does to our bodies.
    As a Coach i will definitly be paying more attention to this in the future then we have already done when someone was sick with the flu or a cold or anything of that matter.

3. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If anyone wants to read the entire detailed guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics, which includes the step by step return which @CheerItFullOut posted <click here>. It goes into every aspect of youth competitive sports (including mask wearing in cheer). I would hope the majority, if not all, parents would listen to their child's pediatrician if their child ever tests positive for C-19. The unfortunate reality, however, still remains that 80% of all cases are asymptomatic or mild and a good percentage those people don't realize they have, or have had it, to follow a protocol. Each state is at varying places within the CDC guidelines to return to business and every family has varying levels of health risks. As these higher risk states open up, people will find themselves making personal choices to protect their family no matter what is allowed.

4. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    thank you for providing the link!
    For you coaches out there, a recommendation (and have your parents review this with your Covid protocol sheet and as an athlete makes their way through return to play if they are coming back from a positive after being cleared with their physician ...monitor and track their progress daily in a binder. Again, we have not had any positive cases yet so I have not had to do it but we do this with concussion protocol.
    As an athlete completes a “phase” without incident they initial their page and we report to their parent they are cleared to move onto the next portion. This may seem a little tedious but it helps athletes and parents understand where and why they are where they are daily in their journey back into their sport safely.

5. cac4life

cac4life I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I think my problem with the big mask debate is that it has literally been said by doctors that you should not wear a mask while doing cheer...

6. retiredl5cheer

retiredl5cheer Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'd be interested to see that research because I've always been curious what the professional opinion is. Would you mind sharing your resource?

7. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It is in the above link from the American Academy of Pediatrics <click here> under "When Should Cloth Face Coverings Be Worn." From the AAP guidance (last updated 12/17/2020):

Cloth face coverings should not be worn for competitive cheerleading (tumbling/stunting/flying) and gymnastics (while on the different apparatuses), because the covering may get caught on objects and become a choking hazard or accidently impair vision.

ETA: I do appreciate the fact there are higher risk areas than others when it comes to C-19 and Varsity leaves that decision up to the gym while in warm ups and competing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  8. cac4life

cac4life I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    hey, so catlady posted a good source, and almost every doctor and pedtrication is saying this.

9. retiredl5cheer

retiredl5cheer Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just saw that. Thanks!

10. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Literally don’t know why this was disliked ... like I get that masks are important and should be worn but good grief - there MAY come a day where we MAY be able to take them off... please allow yourself to be open to actual FACTS provided by valid sources- one day experts and physicians could tell us we are safe without them.

11. WhatAmIDoingHere

WhatAmIDoingHere I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Two weeks later and we have a Covid positive test for one of the girls on the team.

Sooooo many reason why we should not be doing in person competitions.

12. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Why? As dangerous as covid can be for a small percentage, a positive test doesn't equate to a major issue for most of those who would be attending an in person competition. For the amount of people who have attended an in person competition over the past several weeks, I have yet to hear of any serious issues related to covid - and given the nature of the industry of anons and others just waiting to spread bad information, we most certainly would have heard.
    We competed in person when covid was here last year - it just wasn't all over the media yet so no one gave it a second thought.

13. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @quitthedrama

Here's some great data I think you will both appreciate <click here>. The New York Times is updating daily each states C-19 case curve and includes business and mask restrictions info. Georgia was one of the first states to open up and California was one of the last. If you go by each state's population, GA's (10.5 million) and CA's (39.5 million), and use the highest peak average daily case amount number stated on the NYT data GA (10,000 cases) and CA's (50,000 cases), the percentages are GA (.001%) and CA (.0012%) for highest daily avg cases by population and their curves are almost identical. Another state that has been predominantly open and does not require mask wearing is FL population 21.7 million and highest avg daily cases (20,000) which equates to .00092%, slightly lower than GA and CA. The data is coming out and showing closing businesses is not making the dent in the case numbers as they had hoped. The data on mask mandates (emphasis on mandate versus a business requiring) is showing people and businesses will, and do, take on the responsibility for their health, their customers, and others.

14. WhatAmIDoingHere

WhatAmIDoingHere I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Given that this virus is only a year old we do not yet know the long term side affects will be. However we are beginning to get an understanding of what they could see. See pages 115-116 for links to articles related to young athletes who have developed serious heart conditions post Covid.

15. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It's called myocarditis and the good news is C-19 has brought more attention to it, but it has been in existence pre C-19 and has always been known to be caused by various viruses, bacterial infections, medications and auto immune diseases. Myocarditis is not novel to C-19, but what is new is the amount of EKG's and CT scans being done after C-19 versus other viruses and infections. Not so fun fact: In the US, 14% of the population has auto-immune diseases, many life threatening, but we can't shut down the economy for every virus or bacteria that has caused one.

What Is Myocarditis and How Is It Linked to COVID-19?

COVID-19 and Myocarditis
    Science Magazine tells us that researchers are currently investigating “Whether SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, induces cardiac injury including myocarditis more often, or with greater severity, than other viruses…”