All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I appreciate the help with the word. Although I knew what it was just didn't have the brain cells functioning enough this morning to spell it. Also, it's already been noted that Ohio State has found that 15% of their athletes post covid have shown signs of myocarditis. In a D1 college athlete one can assume that they are health and active. Thus, this disease will leave long lasting affects on any person, not just the older or unhealthy group. Also, per the article you posted, it states that it affects children more so than older generation and men more than women.

My point was that with only a year into this disease we have literally no idea how this disease will affect our bodies over 5/10/20+ years. No one is saying shut down the economy. All I said was we shouldn't be doing in person competitions since we have people that can't act responsibly during a pandemic. We have successfully done virtual competitions and I believe we should continue to do them. Especially since it's been proven that parents will send their kids to competitions with this disease. As a group, we really should be demanding better out of the organization that over sees this industry AND the company that heads most of the competitions we all go to.

It's called myocarditis and the good news is C-19 has brought more attention to it, but it has been in existence pre C-19 and has always been known to be caused by various viruses, bacterial infections, medications and auto immune diseases. Myocarditis is not novel to C-19, but what is new is the amount of EKG's and CT scans being done after C-19 versus other viruses and infections. Not so fun fact: In the US, 14% of the population has auto-immune diseases, many life threatening, but we can't shut down the economy for every virus or bacteria that has caused one.

What Is Myocarditis and How Is It Linked to COVID-19?

COVID-19 and Myocarditis
Science Magazine tells us that researchers are currently investigating “Whether SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, induces cardiac injury including myocarditis more often, or with greater severity, than other viruses…”
This is why I say- there is SO much we do NOT know... SO MUCH! How will this virus impact us 5-10 years from now? Will mask wearing impact us at all? Will all the sanitizing and cleaning products used have an impact environmentally or on our health? How many strains will we have and are they becoming weaker or more aggressive? Are certain climates/regions certainly more susceptible to certain strains? It’s insane- sometimes I’ll spend hours reading articles and my head will spin.
I am glad to see that MOST case counts and deaths are starting to dip nationally so that makes me hopeful- but I look at our sport and I think will we ever get back to jam packed arenas of shoulder to shoulder people or has this evolved our thought process entirely to where we will forever remain on the socially distant/crowd conscious/cautious side?
I have to say... I hope the attention to cleanliness, self care & hygiene remains staple... also wouldn’t mind everyone remaining cognizant of personal space

My point was that with only a year into this disease we have literally no idea how this disease will affect our bodies over 5/10/20+ years. No one is saying shut down the economy. All I said was we shouldn't be doing in person competitions since we have people that can't act responsibly during a pandemic. We have successfully done virtual competitions and I believe we should continue to do them. Especially since it's been proven that parents will send their kids to competitions with this disease. As a group, we really should be demanding better out of the organization that over sees this industry AND the company that heads most of the competitions we all go to.

Nobody knows what ANY viruses will do to people's bodies in 10 or 20 years. Viruses are linked to all sorts of diseases, including cancers. 90% of the population is infected with Epstein Barr virus--- most people have no long-term issues with it (they may get an illness like mono), but others end up with very serious medical issues that might be linked to the virus. But we can't shut down the world because most people are going to end up with Epstein Barr virus in their systems.

Likewise, we can't freak out every time a kid tests positive for Covid. Most are going to recover just fine, and a lot of people have few, if any, symptoms. There are extreme cases for every illness in the book. You can get in a serious car accident on the way to the competition too.

Some people are regular watchers of the nightly news, and if you watch that, you may end up afraid to ever let your child leave the house again. I don't think the answer is keeping kids home indefinitely. I think we should be focusing on how to make in-person activities as safe as possible. Enforcing mask wearing, limiting the amount of teams/spectators in the building at a time--- these are easy ways to make competitions safer. If you tell teams, "If you're caught anywhere on the property taking team photos without masks on, you're disqualified", you won't find any teams doing that anymore.

There doesn't need to be thousands of people in a convention center at a time for a cheerleading competition. Heck, most parents only watch their own kid's 2:30 routine and then are mostly just wandering around the building the rest of the time, eating chicken fingers and putting lipstick on their 8 year old (and then sharing that lipstick with 6 other girls). So much of that can be eliminated (especially the sharing of makeup!), and the numbers in the building can be kept very low if they really try.

But there's no way to make viruses disappear. If we're waiting for that, we'll be waiting forever.

Last edited:
This is why I say- there is SO much we do NOT know... SO MUCH! How will this virus impact us 5-10 years from now? Will mask wearing impact us at all? Will all the sanitizing and cleaning products used have an impact environmentally or on our health? How many strains will we have and are they becoming weaker or more aggressive? Are certain climates/regions certainly more susceptible to certain strains? It’s insane- sometimes I’ll spend hours reading articles and my head will spin.

That's why I don't read or watch the news about this virus, because watching repetitive coverage of it only creates more stress for me.

I think people replying to me have missed my original point. Which was...

Someone's irresponsible actions at an in person event has contributed to the Covid spread within our event. Most of what I personally have experienced are people visiting a relative or traveling somewhere and getting through that means. I have yet to hear (personally) of someone catching it at an All Star competition.

So there you go. We have a documented case.of someone's actions at a competition infecting an athlete.

Now beyond that....

We can debate all day about other viruses and long term effects. But ultimately those virsuses have been around a lot longer and have more scientific studies on them. What you can't say about covid is that we have the same amount of time to have studied this virus. I'm not panicking by any means. But I've also seen way too much evidence showing it does contribute to heart conditions to just simply ignore it as an everyday ok occurance like a lingering cough. Let's just agree that Covid is new and there just simply hasn't been enough time to study the long term effects. Yes?

We have two potential in person comps on our schedule. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous. I've worked so hard to keep my kids safe and healthy, and I do worry about the long term effects on then heart and brain. Sadly, I suspect my kids have all already had it. We were deathly ill in February and two weeks later, the case count around us exploded and we know with certainty we had been around friends whose grandmother was in a care facility that was devastated by it. We all seem to be fine, but I'll never really know. If that was it, I really don't want it again!!! The cases of covid inflammation syndrome in kids are rising also. I'm not going to keep my kids locked in a bubble, but I don't allow them around people who don't adhere to safety guidelines. My friends kids are required to hav weekly testing to play football. I don't see why varsity couldn't require it before a comp. it's far from a perfect science, but it would help.

I think my problem with the big mask debate is that it has literally been said by doctors that you should not wear a mask while doing cheer...
i do agree, but i think its 50/50 now, some recognized organizations say its safe to wear them during vigorous activity and some still say it isnt.

Why? As dangerous as covid can be for a small percentage, a positive test doesn't equate to a major issue for most of those who would be attending an in person competition. For the amount of people who have attended an in person competition over the past several weeks, I have yet to hear of any serious issues related to covid - and given the nature of the industry of anons and others just waiting to spread bad information, we most certainly would have heard.
We competed in person when covid was here last year - it just wasn't all over the media yet so no one gave it a second thought.
You may not hear it because the gym doesn’t share it and parents keep quiet. There are many gyms with large numbers of covid cases. Just because they are more likely to spread within the gym rather than to other teams doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem. The biggest issue is that many people aren’t open about exposure or infection. If one athlete is exposed the whole team can’t compete which means that many are ignoring symptoms or returning to quickly to the gym.

Some people are acting as if keeping kids isolated from school and sports and wearing masks don't have any long term effects on their brain and physical health, as well. Stress, isolation, muscle atrophy, loneliness, increased screen and social media, and babies and young children learning facial expressions and relating it to emotional recognition..... I am more concerned about the long term effects of those things on the world versus a virus that has proven to spread whether we're locked down or not. I 100% believe the initial lockdowns were needed, I 100% know we can't overwhelm our healthcare, but to continue to ignore the well established basics of mental and physical development on our kids, and deterioration on our elderly, is incredibly irresponsible and cruel. An article pre C-19 on the importance of faces for babies and young children <click here>.

You don’t know that someone was irresponsible; many people have zero symptoms.
The effectiveness of non-medical grade Mask is still up for debate.
and you cant pin point when/ where they got the virus.

Don’t come for me- I wear my mask and adhere to social distancing, and the only time i leave my house is to drive to cheer and food shop.

I think people replying to me have missed my original point. Which was...

Someone's irresponsible actions at an in person event has contributed to the Covid spread within our event. Most of what I personally have experienced are people visiting a relative or traveling somewhere and getting through that means. I have yet to hear (personally) of someone catching it at an All Star competition.

So there you go. We have a documented case.of someone's actions at a competition infecting an athlete.

Now beyond that....

We can debate all day about other viruses and long term effects. But ultimately those virsuses have been around a lot longer and have more scientific studies on them. What you can't say about covid is that we have the same amount of time to have studied this virus. I'm not panicking by any means. But I've also seen way too much evidence showing it does contribute to heart conditions to just simply ignore it as an everyday ok occurance like a lingering cough. Let's just agree that Covid is new and there just simply hasn't been enough time to study the long term effects. Yes?

Off topic a bit-
how do you score a team that is marking a stunt and / or a portion of the pyramid.
Obviously it is happening a lot more with people quarantined from practices.

You don’t know that someone was irresponsible; many people have zero symptoms.
The effectiveness of non-medical grade Mask is still up for debate.
and you cant pin point when/ where they got the virus.

Don’t come for me- I wear my mask and adhere to social distancing, and the only time i leave my house is to drive to cheer and food shop.
Please see the original post that I replied to where the Poster clearly mentioned that there were people at the event that KNEW they had covid but still went and competed.

Most of these virtual competitions seem to be posting their results at 7PM on the Tuesday following the weekend of the event. Imagine not knowing the results of NCA Nationals until 2 days after it happens. I'm hoping there will be an attempt to make that competition feel a little more "real" since it's normally a big deal. Can we at least get results the day the videos are released. This should not be too much to ask of a sport.

Last edited:
Back