All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just some intel from myself and a friend I was talking to (I coach a high school team and also cheer on an open team at Top Gun in AZ, so a smaller location of the main branch). One of my friends has been working for Varsity since 2011, first as a UCA staffer and then I believe four years ago as an actual employee with Varsity. She got a message today that she no longer had a job due to COVID 19. So Varsity is starting to feel the pain, that much is clear, and they're beginning to lay off the non top-tier employees (she wasn't the state rep, but the step directly below that). Reached out to my uniform rep and she said the same thing, laid off today with no warning. There is no winning here, and honestly Varsity is going to be taking a huge hit no matter what ends up happening, as is every business. Multiple athletes on my team lost their jobs and can no longer pay for cheer, even if the season does continue. On the other end, the gym is still asking for tuition so they can stay afloat with the promise to waive registration fees for next season and a 10% discount on tuition for those who stick it through. The coaches are panicking because they only coach one online class a week and have lost a huge source of their income.

Long story short: every single person working in the cheer industry is getting hit by this, as are most jobs that aren't medical, grocery, or education related. Nobody knows what the other end of this will look like and no matter what happens, everybody's losing something (whether it be their final senior season, a huge chunk of money, their whole gym, etc.)

Just some intel from myself and a friend I was talking to (I coach a high school team and also cheer on an open team at Top Gun in AZ, so a smaller location of the main branch). One of my friends has been working for Varsity since 2011, first as a UCA staffer and then I believe four years ago as an actual employee with Varsity. She got a message today that she no longer had a job due to COVID 19. So Varsity is starting to feel the pain, that much is clear, and they're beginning to lay off the non top-tier employees (she wasn't the state rep, but the step directly below that). Reached out to my uniform rep and she said the same thing, laid off today with no warning. There is no winning here, and honestly Varsity is going to be taking a huge hit no matter what ends up happening, as is every business. Multiple athletes on my team lost their jobs and can no longer pay for cheer, even if the season does continue. On the other end, the gym is still asking for tuition so they can stay afloat with the promise to waive registration fees for next season and a 10% discount on tuition for those who stick it through. The coaches are panicking because they only coach one online class a week and have lost a huge source of their income.

Long story short: every single person working in the cheer industry is getting hit by this, as are most jobs that aren't medical, grocery, or education related. Nobody knows what the other end of this will look like and no matter what happens, everybody's losing something (whether it be their final senior season, a huge chunk of money, their whole gym, etc.)
I work in healthcare. Our hospital is being very open and transparent through this, which I'm very appreciative of. I feel pretty confident with the knowledge they give us that my job is safe right now, but a nearby clinic closed for good last week and a neighboring hospital laid off 200 yesterday. Even the healthcare industry isn't immune from facing layoffs. Patient counts are down due to all non-emergent surgeries and tests being cancelled. This will effect many, and for many when it comes down to paying mortgage/rent/food... cheer won't be a priority.

^^^True but I've seen folks REALLY STRETCH to get a kid's activity in the budget in the past.

Even if it meant skipping bill payments on utilities, go fund mes, etc.

Reasoning: "I don't want my kids to suffer because our money is tight." or "My kids lifestyle should not change because one of us got laid off."

A lot of people will go without themselves to keep an activity for their child.

People I know personally have said that it was worth it because everything was so crazy for the family, soccer/baseball/etc. kept things routine for the kid.

Would I do same? Not sure. I would say no but I've also never been in a position to have to make those choices.

It also probably depends on the activity too. Someone can probably scrape together enough for their kid to still play soccer at the Y this year if it's like $120. An entire cheer season is a different story.

^^^True but I've seen folks REALLY STRETCH to get a kid's activity in the budget in the past.

Even if it meant skipping bill payments on utilities, go fund mes, etc.

Reasoning: "I don't want my kids to suffer because our money is tight." or "My kids lifestyle should not change because one of us got laid off."

A lot of people will go without themselves to keep an activity for their child.

People I know personally have said that it was worth it because everything was so crazy for the family, soccer/baseball/etc. kept things routine for the kid.

Would I do same? Not sure. I would say no but I've also never been in a position to have to make those choices.

It also probably depends on the activity too. Someone can probably scrape together enough for their kid to still play soccer at the Y this year if it's like $120. An entire cheer season is a different story.

I know you are "playing devils' advocate" but what kind of message are we sending to our kids when we prioritize paying for a sport over keeping the lights and heat on? I understand parents going without so a child can continue an activity. Sure, I think we've all done that. I've put money toward a cheer bill when I would rather have spent it on myself. But if the entire family was in danger of having our lights or water cut off, then paying for cheer would be the least of my worries.

Having a routine for kid is important but routines can change. I'm not sure if people know this, but recreation programs operate on a donation system (at least in my state). I've known parents who could not afford to pay for basketball and since it was a donation , their child could still participate without them paying. So there are options that provide a routine and exercise without the exorbitant cost of cheer.

Another thought. I just spoke with a friend who works in the medical supply chain. The talk amongst various health facilities is that they fully expect some type of social distancing restrictions through the summer. The 20/21 season is in a lot of danger as well.

I know you are "playing devils' advocate" but what kind of message are we sending to our kids when we prioritize paying for a sport over keeping the lights and heat on? I understand parents going without so a child can continue an activity. Sure, I think we've all done that. I've put money toward a cheer bill when I would rather have spent it on myself. But if the entire family was in danger of having our lights or water cut off, then paying for cheer would be the least of my worries.

Having a routine for kid is important but routines can change. I'm not sure if people know this, but recreation programs operate on a donation system (at least in my state). I've known parents who could not afford to pay for basketball and since it was a donation , their child could still participate without them paying. So there are options that provide a routine and exercise without the exorbitant cost of cheer.

Another thought. I just spoke with a friend who works in the medical supply chain. The talk amongst various health facilities is that they fully expect some type of social distancing restrictions through the summer. The 20/21 season is in a lot of danger as well.

True. There are rec program cheer and dance teams that are very much "pay what you can and fundraise the rest" with the goal that no one is denied cheer/dance due to $. Is it cheer/dance with Summit and all the things? No, but if you kid enjoys cheer or dance, it's better than doing nothing.

I keep seeing "possible quarantine til October." Yikes.

True. There are rec program cheer and dance teams that are very much "pay what you can and fundraise the rest" with the goal that no one is denied cheer/dance due to $. Is it cheer/dance with Summit and all the things? No, but if you kid enjoys cheer or dance, it's better than doing nothing.

I keep seeing "possible quarantine til October." Yikes.
I am 100% behind the health and safety of people before anything- but quarantine until October is not possible - not physically and not economically - we would have EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE in the nation go Bankrupt, a complete collapse. There would be extreme poverty, illness and disarray. The implications of isolation of a quarantine until October psychologically would be devastating... you’d have depression, anxiety, rioting, violence not to mention the crime rate would rise to unheard of levels.
At SOME point, we will HAVE to slowly attempt a return to less restriction and there will ALWAYS be risk- 8-12 ...even 14-months from now. The virus is UNCONTAINABLE and completely Uncontrollable- we can not stop the spread- only try to “curb” or “manage” it...

This is oversimplifying, but we as a society are choosing how to balance between two terrible things:

1. the rapid spread of the coronavirus and the resulting sickness/death/hardship that it will directly (and indirectly) cause

2. the decline of the US/World economy with massive business failures, skyrocketing unemployment, and economic depression - and the resulting sickness/death/hardship that those directly (and indirectly) cause

No sane person wants either one to happen but ultimately, how long we quarantine/distance has a huge impact on each one. Quarantine/distance longer and it improves #1, but hurts #2, make them shorter and it hurts #1 and helps #2. I certainly don't have the magic answer or formula for how to balance those, but I think we can discuss it without automatically claiming the other side is cold and heartless.

Last edited:
I did want to point out that I'm not the biggest Varsity fan but I do think they're trying the best they can given the WHO KNEW that is unfolding right now. No one could have predicted this at all.

I do still think parents are generally going to do what they can to keep their kids cheering. Until they can't. On the other side of this, gyms are caught in the "being flexible because recession" v. "we need to pay our bills" debate which is never fun,

I can't blame gyms for dropping out of Worlds but I would never in a million years and want to be the owner or coach who has to have the "Can we really do this?" discussion with kids and parents. Lots of tears for sure.

Nobody is winning here. Ugh.

Georgia public schools closed for the rest of the school year. I agree with the decision but am still sad. There will probably be no cheer activity until at least June either.

might be an obvious maybe dumb question, if it hasnt been brought up already, but does it even matter what varsity says, i would think disney holds all the power here, regardless of what contract varsity has with them, they could simple pull the plug and say no to varsity wanting to delay worlds, etc.

might be an obvious maybe dumb question, if it hasnt been brought up already, but does it even matter what varsity says, i would think disney holds all the power here, regardless of what contract varsity has with them, they could simple pull the plug and say no to varsity wanting to delay worlds, etc.

Yes, but keep in mind Disney is also a business losing millions of dollars every day they are closed. If possible, they want those cheerleaders in the parks when they re-open, whenever that is. They don’t care if it falls within our normal season.

This is oversimplifying, but we as a society are choosing how to balance between two terrible things:

1. the rapid spread of the coronavirus and the resulting sickness/death/hardship that it will directly and indirectly cause

2. the decline of the US/World economy with massive business failures, skyrocketing unemployment, and economic depression - and the resulting sickness/death/hardship that those directly and indirectly cause

No sane person wants either one to happen but ultimately, how long we quarantine/distance has a huge impact on each one. Quarantine/distance longer and it improves #1, but hurts #2, make them shorter and it hurts #1 and helps #2. I certainly don't have the magic answer or formula for how to balance those, but I think it is certainly worth discussing and debating without resorting to claiming the other side is cold and heartless.
The hard part is, I feel at this point we're stuck. If we open the economy back up it doesn't actually help # one or two.

Playing out the scenario of opening the economy and life back to normal... It would be a matter of weeks before the spread of the virus is even more uncontrollable. Some people will blissfully go back to life as usual. Others will still choose to self quarantine, only it's not mandatory anymore, so now their employers don't have to allow their choice. Aid isn't available, bill companies don't have to work with you. You now have to choose if you're punished for doing what needs to be done, or if you risk your and your families health everyday bc the economy is open. Most businesses will still struggle bc while some will come out, a lot still won't either bc they can't afford the risk, or they can't afford it financially. Schools will go back, but kids will miss for being sick, or out of their families fear of them getting sick. Same for teachers and subs, so now classes are getting combined. Now the school is in trouble for absences and funding is at risk. Then schools close for sick days, and now parents are back to having to miss work bc kids are home with no supervision. It's a cycle, and everything is connected. We're seeing other countries now let up on isolation, only to go back to it.

So yes, doing #1 hurts #2; but doing #2 really won't help either. I don't know how it stops. I hope someone does, because I agree just #1 isn't sustainable currently. Things would have to majorly change.

The hard part is, I feel at this point we're stuck. If we open the economy back up it doesn't actually help # one or two.

Playing out the scenario of opening the economy and life back to normal... It would be a matter of weeks before the spread of the virus is even more uncontrollable. Some people will blissfully go back to life as usual. Others will still choose to self quarantine, only it's not mandatory anymore, so now their employers don't have to allow their choice. Aid isn't available, bill companies don't have to work with you. You now have to choose if you're punished for doing what needs to be done, or if you risk your and your families health everyday bc the economy is open. Most businesses will still struggle bc while some will come out, a lot still won't either bc they can't afford the risk, or they can't afford it financially. Schools will go back, but kids will miss for being sick, or out of their families fear of them getting sick. Same for teachers and subs, so now classes are getting combined. Now the school is in trouble for absences and funding is at risk. Then schools close for sick days, and now parents are back to having to miss work bc kids are home with no supervision. It's a cycle, and everything is connected. We're seeing other countries now let up on isolation, only to go back to it.

So yes, doing #1 hurts #2; but doing #2 really won't help either. I don't know how it stops. I hope someone does, because I agree just #1 isn't sustainable currently. Things would have to majorly change.

I think this is spot on. Also I still see a lot of people not taking the social distancing/quarantine seriously. Last week my daughter’s friend went to some tik tok event out of town. School cheer coach still thinks we are going to camp in May, she also told cheerleaders to deliver gifts to their cheer littles’ homes since we can’t do traditional reveal. Parks still crowded. All this even though county is under mandatory stay at home order.

The longer it takes for people to comply the longer this will drag on. It’s frustrating.

Love her explanation, very heartfelt:

“The hardest decision I have ever had to make but in my heart, the right one. The risk of injury on taking athletes to any further events when they have not trained in so long... not knowing when our gyms are going to be able to open. Putting stress not just financially but being that parent to have to tell their kid.. "I'm sorry but we cannot afford to go"... it's just not fair to anyone.

Someone the right decision is the hardest and although everyone may feel differently and they have the right to... I'm making the decision because of safety, the financial future for our customers and the emotional roller coaster we are keeping everyone on.... and with that... our season at Midwest Cheer Elite West Chester is officially over.

Let's focus now on training athletes for the future, making sure our customers are okay and letting us do what we are great at... helping mold the leaders of tomorrow!!”

I’ve seen so many posts about how devastated kids will be and how cancelling *big event* takes away from all their hard work, etc.

Are we not worried that we are raising kids who can’t handle disappointment or changes in plan? Do we really want our kids to be so fragile that they can’t understand that stuff happens and we must carry on?

Not paying bills just so your kid can cheer??? No way I want my kid being taught that her hobby runs my household. I teach and it is always obvious which kids have households who revolve around them and which kids don’t. I don’t want mine to think the world revolves around her. Bills before cheer and learn to deal with disappointment.

Back