Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. ChicagoCheerDad

ChicagoCheerDad I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

I was told this 3 months ago by a gym owner that they were being told it would be virtual but a lot can change in that period of time

2. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Not sure if it helps to know this or not but if you're wondering about NCA All Star, I do know that NCA HS Nationals just moved dates (but appears to still be in person.)

Wondering if that means same thing will happen for All Stars?

3. CLynn

CLynn When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That is the way I feel. I've heard if it happens, spectators will be limited and the idea of traveling with all the risk along the way to perform and then just leave is not very appealing. And going with huge crowds is def. not appealing!! Though I think we should be in a much better place with the virus come late February, it doesn't feel like a wise idea to bring thousands of people together from all over the country. I mean really, what could go wrong?? But I am sure others would rather in person at any cost vs virtual. It is NCA after all ;)

Housing information was sent and every hotel I looked at was non-refundable. Hope people hold off on booking in that case...

4. retiredl5cheer

retiredl5cheer Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Well that's appalling.

5. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

TGLC wore masks except for when they performed.

ETA: Apparently their decision not wear mask were agreed upon with their parents.

6. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes, when Spirit Celebration got canceled in Dallas, many were fighting to get a refund from their stay to play Hotel reservations. :/.

7. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    CDC COVID Data Tracker
    There has not been a significant difference between the two states in the past several weeks. The case data since Jan is a bit different (SC has 4,961/100,000 versus NC has 4,205/100,000 although still not a huge difference). I follow this information closely each week because MA where I live (and NC) have far more restrictions than SC and I like to compare the data between the two states.

8. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So for our virtual game day comp... kids that had not been isolated were tested before... wore masks all throughout socially distanced practice, outdoors and then it was advised they remove masks for “full out routine filming ”- filming that was under 1 min (kids had to remain socially distant, eliminate multiple formation changes & stay 6 ft apart) ...they had to put masks on right after performance was done and sanitize and we had to minimize “cheering” ... yes in -Game Day, but we did what we could.
    To an observer of a video, one could say- that team “doesn’t care” they just don’t wear masks... when in reality - a team could believe adamantly in wearing them ALL the time and go off of the directive of our district and local health authorities- (who advise our kids to remove masks during short spurts of vigorous socially distanced activity)

this is just Game Day, High school, let alone a level 6 team.

plainly put, today there’s so many people aching to call each other out. LOOKING for the minute a team or a kid steps “out of line”... true, some teams/coaches/kids in general don’t care... but some people are ready with daggers before there’s even a war which kinda makes me sad...

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. CLynn

CLynn When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Fair enough, overall stats can be skewed as some states were hit harder earlier. But the overall point remains that you can't just consider overall numbers but numbers relative to population.

Ugh. that really stinks. I understand it is buyer beware which is why I looked at the refund policy and decided no way, I'd hold off. I am accustomed to premium NCA hotels (omni, maybe Hyatt?) being non-refundable but not all the hotels. That said, those same hotels if booked without a housing company would be refundable so it is such a ridiculous squeeze on parents.

10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'd be careful with mask-related finger pointing and such.

I struggle with this because this type of calling out is usually less motivated by wanting to keep people healthy and more about targeting specific programs.

Example: Mega Gym does not wear masks, cue outrage. However, when the mom and pop small gym near you is also not doing it, there is no outrage to be found.

11. Knowcheering

Knowcheering Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    Yes. Twitter is enormously toxic, and unfortunately, kids hang out there now instead of these message boards. People there are constantly looking to hate and "cancel" people and find fault with people who are generally doing more with their lives than themselves (they love to call people "problematic"). I'm guessing a lot of kids who sit on Twitter are teased by their "real life" peers or are unhappy with their own lives, and social media gives them an outlet in which they can feel like a tough guy/big shot. So it's no surprise that the mega gyms frequently get called out by the "cheer anons", sometimes for nonsensical things. Fortunately that site is slowly decreasing in popularity with the rise of TikTok or whatever, and I'll be happy when it's gone. But I'd miss Cheer Updates' tweets lol.

So yeah, some people will watch a 3 minute video of a team performing with no masks and then just jump to the conclusion that they don't care about masks and aren't wearing them at all. Hopefully most teams are still being safe even if they choose not to compete with a mask for those 2.5 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  12. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I dunno. I'd like to see a set of rules from Varsity (let's not play semantics..... it's Varsity) stating standard mask rules for spectators, warmups, and when competing on stage. Make it consistent so everyone is on the same page. I'd like to see a standard set of rules for everything related to this situation for spectators, athletes, coaches, parents, etc when it comes to crowd size and everything. Leaving it up to individual competitions, gyms, and teams causes problems and risks. I'd honestly rather just have it consistent, standard, and equally enforced for everyone.

13. coacha

coacha I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The problem with that is location and local rules. Even the NFL has different rules on crowd size depending on where the game is

14. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think Varsity is subject to wherever the event is being held.

So even if they tried to issue blanket guidelines, you'd get:

*"Our city doesn't require that, we're not doing it."
    *"Our state requires xxxxxxx, this event is unsafe."

Or "we refuse to attend any Varsity events because ..."

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think it has to be an ownership thing decided with parent input.

Ex:

"Based on what our stakeholders are saying, we are only doing virtual right now."

Or "we're only attending face to face comps with XYZ guidelines."