All-Star Crossovers And Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Dad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
How many crossovers (dropping down) and by how many levels does it take before you have trouble considering that team to be a true level X team?

Have at it...

**Don't be silly, it's only sandbagging when OTHER teams do it.**

Personally don't like crossovers at all.
I don't have as much of an issue wit crossovers as some depending on their use. 1 or 2 won't make or break a team in my opinion but obviously half a team, especially when they drop multiple levels, is a bigger issue for me.

**Don't be silly, it's only sandbagging when OTHER teams do it.**

The problem is "1 or 2" crossing down 1 level snowballs into most of the team crossing 3 levels because Gym A starts it and then Gym B has to add more to beat Gym A and Gym C then needs to add even more to beat Gym A and Gym B and so on. It is going to become more common for "crossing over" to turn into sandbagging as more teams do it and it will be an issue unless USASF makes some restrictions on crossovers.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

I look the idea of someone who's not quite confident in the higher level crossing over to a lower level to build confidence. Like a level 4 flyer who isn't very comfortable with level 4 skills, crossing over to a level 3 team so she carries that confidence back to level 4, but it's hard to justify someone with consistent level 5 tumbling and stunting competing with a level 3 team, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, the magic number is 20% more than 1 level. On most teams, that's enough to effect multiple stunt groups. I know most people focus on tumbling when talking about sandbagging, but I think tumbling 2 or more levels lower can come back and bite you in the hiney. Muscle memory, anyone? I've seen multiple layouts that were supposed to be BHS. Oops...
Stunting, though, can make or break a team. If you have a L2 team of 20 and 4 backspots form your L4 team cross down, they can probably single handedly save those extensions. Same with any position, IMO.
As far as the team not be a true level team? I'd say 40-50%.

My daughter is a Junior level 4, but she crosses over to a Senior 4.2. She flies on the 4.2 team, and bases on the J4 team. The J4 team has a ton of very young (youth, even mini age, one of them) very short fliers. She is 5'1" already at 12, and just looked too tall in comparison to the other fliers. They needed a level 4 flier on 4.2, so we let her crossover because she enjoys flying (she also enjoys basing, she pretty does what ever they tell her to do, lol.) Anyway...we are glad she has the opportunity the keep working on flying, while also learning level 4 basing. It really doesn't seem like her team was created to sandbag...there are only about 5 girls on it who are level 3 or higher. They just wanted to make a team for high school aged girls who wanted to compete but only had a handspring. Actually, there are a couple of girls who aren't even quite level 2 tumblers yet. It really doesn't bother us competing against teams that have the majority of the athletes at higher levels. Bottomline, they can only do what they are legally allowed to do...our girls can perfect their own skills & performance. They have taken 1st at 3 comps so far this season!

This is something in the sport that drives me nuts. Crossovers should only be allowed in the same level, in my opinion. One gym we sometimes compete against has level 5 girls with double fulls on level 5 and level 3. It's ridiculous. Our 4.2 team has also run into several teams with level 4/level 4.2 crossovers. And as someone else mentioned, it forces other gyms to do the same thing to stay competitive.

It is why I love NCA Nationals, you can only crossover across the same level and only 5 crossovers per a team.
Unfortunately @Kris, NCA is not ironclad safe either from blatant sandbagging...If a team comes in with 2 teams, one lvl 5 and lvl 1 that gym can place all of their lvl 4 athletes on that lvl 1 team and get away with it...just saying!

Unfortunately @Kris, NCA is not ironclad safe either from blatant sandbagging...If a team comes in with 2 teams, one lvl 5 and lvl 1 that gym can place all of their lvl 4 athletes on that lvl 1 team and get away with it...just saying!
Really? NCA sates you can only crossover within the level. That would go against that rule.

How? You can only crossover across the same level. I am confused.

Last edited:
Back