All-Star Crossovers And Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A team I saw this weekend competed as Junior 1 but their music said J5 about 4 times. Crossing up or down 1 level, fine. But 4 levels?! I know I have previously said on this board, "it's the team who has the skills the best, and if you're not the best you don't deserve to win." However, taking an entire team down 4 levels crosses the line for me.

So 6 year olds are on youth? Lol yikes
Yes, 1/3 of CP's Youth 2 team is either 6 or 7. It's the way our small gym decided to handle the kids we had. They didn't want a mini 1 with 6 or 7 kids on it, so they ended up on youth 2. It was that or tell them to wait for the prep team to form. it hasn't been ideal for anyone as these kids don't have the skills for level 2 or the attention span for a youth practice. I am hoping they choose differently next year. I honestly don't know what we will do if CP gets placed on another team like the one she was on this year.

I believe we have a 5 or 6 year old on the youth 2 at gym. She's also on minis.

Ya I think that's too young but I get it if you have a small gym. I just don't agree with putting girls/boys that age when there is the option for a team with kids more their age.

My CP was 6 her first season on a Youth 1 she is 8 this year and is on her second season on a Junior team. There haven't been any issues I'm aware of.
I'm not a fan of 10 y/o being on Senior teams but I think each instance should be a case by case consideration.
Not seeing the difference between your cp age 8 being on a junior team and a 10 year old being on a senior team. There could be a 7 year difference between your cp and the oldest on her team; why does that not bother you while a 10 year old on a senior team does?

I believe we have a 5 or 6 year old on the youth 2 at gym. She's also on minis.

How do people feel about crossovers that are under 8? Or even 10. The two younger girls on our Jr. 2 crossover to Minis. Honestly, without them, they wouldn't have been able to form a Mini team. I have had several people ask me if CP (7) will cross-over to Minis next year. I think she could handle it physically. But I think cheering with an extra team will take away from the time that is normally devoted to her personal growth in the sport (privates, tumbling/flight classes). I don't think I would be okay with her doing the extra team AND the extra classes at this age. I think it would be too much pressure physically and mentally. It would take a lot of convincing for me to allow CP to cross-over at this age. But to each their own!

Ya I think that's too young but I get it if you have a small gym. I just don't agree with putting girls/boys that age when there is the option for a team with kids more their age.
Not my dog not my fight but I would say many parents with kids on those teams agree with you.

How do people feel about crossovers that are under 8? Or even 10. The two younger girls on our Jr. 2 crossover to Minis. Honestly, without them, they wouldn't have been able to form a Mini team. I have had several people ask me if CP (7) will cross-over to Minis next year. I think she could handle it physically. But I think cheering with an extra team will take away from the time that is normally devoted to her personal growth in the sport (privates, tumbling/flight classes). I don't think I would be okay with her doing the extra team AND the extra classes at this age. I think it would be too much pressure physically and mentally. It would take a lot of convincing for me to allow CP to cross-over at this age. But to each their own!
I let cp cross over for the first time last year at age 13, so I agree with you. I see the toll it takes on many of these kids especially at competitions when their teams all compete within a short timeframe of one another. They're tired, and often the second team they compete with suffers because of that. It also can be hard for a stunt fall or tumbling issue to be shaken off with little downtime. I do think doing two teams has made mine a better cheerleader these past two seasons however I'm looking forward to her aging out of juniors after this year.

I think it's young. I would prefer my child be on a team that suits their skill level, no matter the age group. When Cp was 6, in 1st grade she was placed on a mini 1 team and later was asked to cross up to youth 2. They had choreography back to back. She immediately confused the running tumbling in the two routines and couldn't remember which count she was supposed to tumble on. In practice on youth 2, she kept going on the Mini 1 routine count. So after 2 practices they removed her from the team. At the time I was very thankful. She was practicing 4 days a week plus an hour of tumbling and an hour of stretch class on a 5th day all mandatory. It was a lot. In hindsight, I think it was ridiculous that they barely gave her a chance and expected so much from a 6 year old. But I'm still thankful she wasn't doing two teams all season.

So you're saying if there's a big age difference on the team it should not be coed?

Stay: CP has never been on anything but a coed team has had age differences as much as 8 years.

**What if gofundme included a double your money back performance clause?**

Not seeing the difference between your cp age 8 being on a junior team and a 10 year old being on a senior team. There could be a 7 year difference between your cp and the oldest on her team; why does that not bother you while a 10 year old on a senior team does?

Because, I hope, that the maturity level of a 14 year old would be much different than an 18/19 year old. Hence the topics of conversations of what those kids are going through would be more NC-17 as opposed to PG-13.
But I did add the caveat that it should be a case by case basis. Honestly, unless we change gyms, the odds my CP will be on a S4 team at age 10/11 are very high.

A team I saw this weekend competed as Junior 1 but their music said J5 about 4 times. Crossing up or down 1 level, fine. But 4 levels?! I know I have previously said on this board, "it's the team who has the skills the best, and if you're not the best you don't deserve to win." However, taking an entire team down 4 levels crosses the line for me.

Lol - thats so funny that they didn't change the music. Did it have all kinds of those twisting sound effects in the music too? So that twisting sound goes off and instead of the usual group standing tumbling fulls, you see backwalkovers - that's hilarious.

I guess it COULD have been them recycling music from another team from a previous year, but that would be pretty cheap of them.

So you're saying if there's a big age difference on the team it should not be coed?

Stay: CP has never been on anything but a coed team has had age differences as much as 8 years.

Personally no, an age difference is an age difference. Regardless of whether it's coed or not. I wouldn't want my hypothetical 10 year old daughter cheering with a boy who is 18 or 19. But again thats MY personal opinion. If you have no problems with it that's great.

Personally no, an age difference is an age difference. Regardless of whether it's coed or not. I wouldn't want my hypothetical 10 year old daughter cheering with a boy who is 18 or 19. But again thats MY personal opinion. If you have no problems with it that's great.
Okay. I followed you until you brought up boys again.

You would not want your 10 yo on a team with anyone 18/19 regardless of gender, correct? Just clarifying.

Nothing wrong with that opinion. I was just hoping to clarify. In our case we had no age/level appropriate teams that fit cp's abilities. I guess as a result I never thought of it too much to the point where I was worried.

Latest posts

Back