All-Star Crossovers And Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OMG am I missing something or am I TOO old... what does Beyonce mean by Surfboard?? That wasn't like real surfboarding?!?! OMG never mind don't answer I'm traumatized and sad about my age.... :(

Don't worry. I wouldn't have known either if I didn't work with high school kids all day!

No, I totally agree. I thing the age grid is so messed up. A mini shouldn't be on a junior team lol the girl is very talented she technically could be on a level 5 team as I think she by now has a running full but regardless it looks funny because she's also super tiny so when she's flying on J3 it just looks weird since all the rest of the kids are more junior sized.

I also don't agree with a 10 year old being able to be on a senior team with girls who can super senior and are 19...makes no sense.

That is something that I am struggling with. I really don't like the idea of my 8 year old being on a Junior team next year, but that is the normal progression that happens at our gym (unless they do something different next season).

Last edited:
That is something that I am struggling with. I really don't like the idea of my 8 year old being on a Junior team next year, but that is the nor,al progression that happens at our gym (unless they do something different next season).

I don't get that. My minis were usually 6-8 and usually 8 year olds the next season go to youth. If 8 year olds at your gym go to junior then when do they go to youth?

The one problem I would have with this if I was a parent is that my 11 year old would be listening in on the conversations of the 17 and 18 year olds on the team and I'm going to assume a lot of their conversations are going to be inappropriate for my 11 year old to be listening to.
My cp was a 10 yo on that senior team. Yes some conversations were inappropriate but it is a give and take. All parties learned to be a bit more considerate in what was said and when and where. Sure it caused a few issues along the way but those were good learning experiences and for those that have known cp for many years will tell you those experiences didn't twist or warp him, too much.

**Less than 8 Worlds bids events remain. May the odds be forever in your favor**

Back when I first started there was a general rule of thumb that if you were in elementary school you were on youth, middle school - junior, high school - senior. Sure that only gives you 4 or 5 seasons on a worlds team but do you really need any more if you have great junior teams with appropriately aged girls? Boy how times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it should go back to this. I think there are just too many age group / level combos (unless you are a super mega gym with a team in just about every level.)

I don't get that. My minis were usually 6-8 and usually 8 year olds the next season go to youth. If 8 year olds at your gym go to junior then when do they go to youth?

Cp is at a small to medium sized gym. We currently don't have any youth teams. Assuming that they keep the teams they same way that they have done it for the past couple of years; the only full year level 2 available is at the Junior level.

There is a 6 year old and an 8 year old on the junior 2 team at CP's gym. The only youth team is level 1. CP (7) progressed super quickly this year and will be on a junior team next season. It's a small gym. There aren't enough kids to field youth 2 and junior 2 teams, so they have to go with the higher age for the teams. The younger kids on the junior team actually have level 3 skills now. It is either junior 2 or 3 for those kids or youth 1...

You as always, are the exception to the rule. Our industry needs more of you!
For what it's worth, parents opinions are not worthless to me. I'm fully aware of who I work for. And it's not my boss.
(And thank you for that. I wish there were more of me too ;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm well I guess if it's a smaller gym and there isn't any other option that's one thing but when there are options a kid who is 8 with a full shouldn't be on a mini 1. The gym has many options.. tiny 1, two mini 1 teams, youth 1 and 2, junior 2 and 3, senior 2 4.2 and 4, 2 open teams and they're adding a senior 5 next year. So it's not a small gym meaning the athlete shouldn't be crossing onto 3 teams nor should she be on a mini 1 lol

In the dance part of this convo:
I was the younger girl on the dance team bringing the age down- and the other girls HATED me for it. It wasn't like I was there for my age, technique-wise I was on par with or better than some girls. My sister was also closer in age to them, so my teacher kept us all together. For general classes, I was in a couple different groups. I was 9/10, they were 15-17. They'd lock me out of rooms sometimes during 'competition practice days' (it was a small, one-room studio) with a hallway and a small changing room. That way they could talk about boys and relationships and 'adult' things without the little girl bothering them.

So 6 year olds are on youth? Lol yikes

My CP was 6 her first season on a Youth 1 she is 8 this year and is on her second season on a Junior team. There haven't been any issues I'm aware of.
I'm not a fan of 10 y/o being on Senior teams but I think each instance should be a case by case consideration.

So at competition watched awards saw 1st place team in a level jump up and down all excited then get bummed when they did not get the Summit bid. Then watched about 8 girls get up hug the coach and run off from awards to get ready for the higher level team they competed on. HATE that 1 or 2 fill ins is one thing but this was about 2 stunt groups. They may have gotten first for their age but another team got the Summit bid and I was so very happy to see it. One because the team that got it really was great but more so after watching all those girls get off the matt who clearly compete at a higher level.

Latest posts

Back