All-Star Csp Tweet: No More Travelling For Cea Teams.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have a question, mainly for the parents footing these bills.

I was never on a team that went to these grand, expensive competitions but my last couple of years we did a lot of competitions. I think my last couple of years the average was 14/15 a season. With around half out of state. So maybe my bill per year was ~$4000? Nothing in the range of some of these top level teams.

So my questions is at what point, if there is one, do you tell your child "listen, if you want to continue to do this, you need to help out because we cannot afford this on our own"? Im not really talking about "help out around the house more", I'm talking about making them fundraise, getting a job, helping financially with the payments. And clearly I'm taking about highschool students unless you wanna blur the lines of the child labor laws.

Fortunately, both of the gyms I cheered at had concession stands at the local university sports stadium and minor league baseball stadium that you could work as fundraising. In a way it was basically a job and instead of the paycheck going to you, it goes straight to your account at the gym via the booster club. I started working games when I was 14 (even if the age was 16 and older) because my parents made it clear that I needed to help out. My last two years I worked enough to pay for almost all of the money that went to the gym. Tuition, gym fees, competition fees, uniform, event shirts, make-up, whatever. My parents paid for travel and that's it.

I don't see why the older kids can't help out with these outrageous expenses. I know how busy it gets, I was on two teams, did tumbling classes, stayed on honor roll and payed for my cheer, but it's possible. If it's something the kids want to do, they should help with the expenses as best they can. And if it's something the kids are super invested in, they will find a way to make it all work. Why should the responsibility be placed solely on the parents?

I'm interested in people's opinions, go!

My CP just turned working age and she will be helping with her cheer expenses :)

Neither is El Popa. It is CEACoach. I believe she got banned when that awful blog came out that was rather personal about her. She was understandably upset, but she thought it was authored by me and directed it at me. Words and legal threats were exchanged and I decided it was time for her to go. Everything cooled down later and we had a general unbanning of everyone. (DJ, CSP, lolsmileyface, there were a few others but definitely kept banned the names that were quite rude... maddiefallin for example was not allowed back because that is unacceptable).
What blog? Jeez people can be awful.

What blog? Jeez people can be awful.
I don't remember if it was a 'blog' post or an IG or whatever, but it was horrible and lies and I never want to see it return ever.

My brother and I both worked at a small diner while he was still in HS. It was only opened for breakfast/lunch on weekdays, and breakfast on the weekends. I was there every morning early, but the boys joined me soon after. Kept them out of partying too, as they had to be in 8am Sat and Sundays. They did sports as well, and it worked around that. I pretty much had no life my senior year: between cheer, volleyball, 1-2 shows a semester, and work-study to support those shows, I avoided both drugs and boys. My parents were thrilled :p

I don't remember if it was a 'blog' post or an IG or whatever, but it was horrible and lies and I never want to see it return ever.

My brother and I both worked at a small diner while he was still in HS. It was only opened for breakfast/lunch on weekdays, and breakfast on the weekends. I was there every morning early, but the boys joined me soon after. Kept them out of partying too, as they had to be in 8am Sat and Sundays. They did sports as well, and it worked around that. I pretty much had no life my senior year: between cheer, volleyball, 1-2 shows a semester, and work-study to support those shows, I avoided both drugs and boys. My parents were thrilled :p
I will never see why people feel the need to do things like that. :( The Internet has made people WAY too bold.

Totally random but a lot of high school cheer programs are now being forced to push their first practice day back to July 15. This would give athletes a great deal of time in which to work for their money.

I will never see why people feel the need to do things like that. :( The Internet has made people WAY too bold.

Totally random but a lot of high school cheer programs are now being forced to push their first practice day back to July 15. This would give athletes a great deal of time in which to work for their money.
Kind of off topic, but I would have killed to be able to practice in July, we weren't allowed to start until August 1 and we competed in early October, not much time to learn and perfect the routine.

Kind of off topic, but I would have killed to be able to practice in July, we weren't allowed to start until August 1 and we competed in early October, not much time to learn and perfect the routine.
Staying off topic, Massachusetts can't start practice until the 3rd or 4th week in August (somewhere around the 22-26). It makes Dracut High School's grand champ win at NCA even more impressive!

I've heard VA has a weird practice schedule. When the KHSAA took over competitive cheer in KY, they made July 15th the earliest possible practice date. But schools can have tryouts between April 1st and 15th.

In TX, earliest practice date is July 1st. Luckies.

Staying off topic, Massachusetts can't start practice until the 3rd or 4th week in August (somewhere around the 22-26). It makes Dracut High School's grand champ win at NCA even more impressive!
That stinks. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of allstar cheerleaders

Or maybe they are just really good and well coached
Trust me, I am the first to react when people claim that a HS team can't be good without allstars (see my Twitter rants), but teams with longer seasons typically have a MUCH easier time helping kids acquire tumbling, strength flexibility, etc. Hence why places like eastern KY have so many good cheerleaders that have never done all-stars.

When I did school cheer we had practices starting in May for football season, but they were non-mandatory and they couldn't force you to come since it was during summer. Everyone pretty much went though unless you were on vacation or were sick.
But I don't think every program would have enough kids showing up every day. Lots of coaches can't even get their kids to condition over a week-long break.

Trust me, I am the first to react when people claim that a HS team can't be good without allstars (see my Twitter rants), but teams with longer seasons typically have a MUCH easier time helping kids acquire tumbling, strength flexibility, etc. Hence why places like eastern KY have so many good cheerleaders that have never done all-stars.
I think we only had 2 or 3 allstars on my school team my whole 4 years. And they all ended up quitting allstars at some point to just do school cheer even though our competition season was only like 2-3 months long. There may be more now since allstar is more popular in the area, not sure, just realized I graduated almost 6 years ago and now I feel weird.

Latest posts

Back