All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

because our scoring system is subjective (not objective) that is the reason for comments.

unless im way wrong and their are comments on gymnastics and ice skating scoresheets?

I was a competitive figure skater for the majority of my life. At some competitions you would have the opportunity to meet with the judges after you competed and they would critique your routine...

and though they have tried to reduce subjectivity, half of the overall score (the program components score) is very subjective. [It has sections for interpretation, choreography, performance execution, skating skills, and transitions]

I never understood why they haven't picked up what we always had at dance competitions- judges tapes. The judges would speak their comments directly onto the tape which made it easier to review their initial impression and it seemed like they had more time to be specific. I would think it'd be easier all around, plus it's something you can review with them later if need be..
COA Ultimate Nationals did this the year I competed there. Don't know if they still do. We got together the morning of Day 2 and watched it. Very helpful.

IM REALLY curious

1. How do judges stay out of the cheer drama, stay unbiased about 'popular' teams and not 'in the know'??

2. And how do you get chosen to judge some of the HARDEST worlds divisions ex-large senior, small senior, small small coed

Some of these are a bit harsh guys. Yes, I understand your frustration if a judge is rude or makes a comment that does not apply to your division. But like someone previously said, judging is very difficult when you're on a time crunch and you have to see everything going on. If the routine is a hott mess, it's probably even harder to write down everything you as a coach can do to boost the score for future competitions.

I can appreicate that judging is difficult, there is a reason I stepped back and didn't want to do it any more... but i EXPECT my teams to receive good, fair and unbiased INTELLIGENT judging at events I PAY to take my teams to. There is never an excuse for judges to be lazy, nasty, or uneducated .... NO excuse.

oh, I liked a few weeks ago when I did nothing but praise my kids for giving me such a high-energy, fierce performance and then we go over the scoresheets and I get a "Lacks personality and character".... huh? were we watching the same routine? LOL

I never understood why they haven't picked up what we always had at dance competitions- judges tapes. The judges would speak their comments directly onto the tape which made it easier to review their initial impression and it seemed like they had more time to be specific. I would think it'd be easier all around, plus it's something you can review with them later if need be..

At NCA College Nationals my senior year (I think? That would be 09) we got a DVD with judges commentary on it. And I think in in high school we used to get a cassette tape with audio comments.

I like when I get comments like "low jumps...in back." Really?? Maybe next time I'll put the low jumpers in the front so you can find them easier!

I like when I get comments like "low jumps...in back." Really?? Maybe next time I'll put the low jumpers in the front so you can find them easier!

I thinkt hey're doing this just to point out that, yes, judges do see when you hid the lower jumps in the back (some coaches really think the judges don't see this). Judges will also point out when there's a nugget in the back for the whole routine...use that kid, she's gotta be able to do something besides throw one basket!

Great topic! I must agree, I find it comical when I get back scoresheets with the obvious/generic stuff.
  • get jumps higher (always the goal)
  • ride baskets (yes, of course)
  • squad tumbling would help score (yes, if we had more, we'd put in more, we are maximizing what we have)
Once in a while they'll put out some constructive criticism that I do take back and change up, others, I'm kind of like, yeah, I knew that and that stuff was not in the plans, but hey, it happened. Gotta roll with it.

Interesting comments on all 3 pages. I think that gym owners and coaches should judge at least one competition for any company of choice at least once a season. Because often times one will get a better understanding of what goes on with judges and judging behind the all the other stuff that is unseen. Yes, people do write some crazy comments, if every coach knows whats going wrong in their routine then just inform the event staff that you dont want any comments at all and you just want scoring and that's it, i'm sure they would be more than happy to accommodate.
Someone asked about how judges are selected for The Cheerleading Worlds Most cheer companies are asked to submit a list of Judges they feel will be best for The Cheerleading Worlds and then The Cheerleading Worlds selects who they would like to give a spot to.

Jump tumbling combos aren't illegal, jump HANDSPRING combos are illegal at level 2.

Many level 1 & 2 coaches overlook this, but it can help your score on nearly every grid I've ever seen.

I realize this... But that isn't what this judge meant, trust me. It was a whole day of judges not knowing what they were looking at. No worries though, our owner is gonna write a letter, haha!

I can appreicate that judging is difficult, there is a reason I stepped back and didn't want to do it any more... but i EXPECT my teams to receive good, fair and unbiased INTELLIGENT judging at events I PAY to take my teams to. There is never an excuse for judges to be lazy, nasty, or uneducated .... NO excuse.

i agree completely i get that judging is hard but they chose to do the job and when you are paying to attend a competition you are expecting to be judged correctly im sorry but i feel all judges need to be well versed on the rules of whatever division they are judging at the time its just like any other job if you make mistakes that cost the company money you have a good chance of losing your job judging is no different

this weekend one judge #1 said cute ball kick inversion into stunt and gave us a 5 outta 5 .. judge #2 add some inversions to increase score 3 outta 5 .. ?? hmm

Back