All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Funny, our judge wrote "try going to prep level for max on stunts" We are mini level 1.

Well, in mini level 1, you can do preps...unless you mean they wanted prep level one legged stunts? But if you had thigh stands and no preps...that judge was right in their comment...

Sorry, by your comment, I misunderstood. Did they tell you to put them in the pyramid and you already had them in your pyramid?

Barrel rolls would be part of your stunt score, but are different then the connected release moves in your pyramid.

Yeah they already had them. And the barrel rolls were just a separate comment, nothing to do with pyramid haha

ive writting add difficulty for certain sections before... but i usually include, "consider...."
Like on a level 1 team with only 4 girls doing back walkovers, consider adding some sort of team tumbling even if its forward rolls. Stuff like that.

And stunts. when people have just plain straight up stunts and body positions. do something that will be a transition into that stunt... even a power press.

i have gotten that also....don't they know the rules???

On many companies scoring grid, in order to max out, jumps either need to be connected to other jumps and connected to the minimum tumbling allowed in a level. Level 2 teams are allowed to connect jump/jump/walkover(or roll) but coaches do not put this in.

Or with some companies, they are looking for jump/jumpPAUSEhandspring. Many will even tell you the length of pause they allow while still being considered "connected." (The same applies for L4 teams with Jump/JumpPAUSETuck.) It's all about where you're competing and what their grid says in order to max out your score.

Some competitions still do critique judges. I love them.

Spirit Fest Nationals actually gives you an audio judges critique/comments right on a DVD of your teams performance on Day 1. This way you can actually hear the comments while watching your routine. SO nice for the kids to be able to hear when you're getting them ready for Day 2! I wish more companies did this.

Spirit Fest Nationals actually gives you an audio judges critique/comments right on a DVD of your teams performance on Day 1. This way you can actually hear the comments while watching your routine. SO nice for the kids to be able to hear when you're getting them ready for Day 2! I wish more companies did this.

I like this because you can show it to your kids and say "See, i'm not just talking out of my butt when I tell you a thousand times a day to fix that!"

Funny, our judge wrote "try going to prep level for max on stunts" We are mini level 1.

One time last season, I believe it was Maryland Marlins SO5 (or if not them, another SO5) had "add more doubles" on their scoresheet. Ha.

I like this because you can show it to your kids and say "See, i'm not just talking out of my butt when I tell you a thousand times a day to fix that!"

Sooo agree! Although I don't love the generic comments, I do read them to my team and say "Gee, where'd you hear that before?"

On many companies scoring grid, in order to max out, jumps either need to be connected to other jumps and connected to the minimum tumbling allowed in a level. Level 2 teams are allowed to connect jump/jump/walkover(or roll) but coaches do not put this in.

Or with some companies, they are looking for jump/jumpPAUSEhandspring. Many will even tell you the length of pause they allow while still being considered "connected." (The same applies for L4 teams with Jump/JumpPAUSETuck.) It's all about where you're competing and what their grid says in order to max out your score.

i understand that...but i have had a judge tell our level 4 team to add fulls to score higher in tumbling...really more fulls....for a yth2 team i coached 2 years ago a judge said to score higher in pymd section to have a hand to hand connection...and that was back when it HAD to be braced on both sides......i know judges that have said that they dont care to know what rules are allowed that they judge on what is done....

My favorite comments ever have been:
"too good of a routine for a subpar performance"

"Very good choreography with what appears to be a good difficulty of skills, however unable to differentiate the skills due to sloppy performance and questionable technique"

"ride baskets to the top" in LEVEL 1...

Just to clarify - I wasn't upset about the first 2 comments. In fact we all laughed so hard because they were true. I wanted to frame those score sheets! I wasn't even upset about the basket toss comment, just more concerned that they couldn't tell the difference between a cradle and a basket toss!

So, just from someone trying to learn, what exactly are you looking for judges to write on your score sheets. If you all want comments that are unique, then can I have some examples of good comments. I'm just having a difficult time coming up with things I could say about a routine to help boost their score that doesn't sound so generic.

Sometimes as coaches we tend to focus on one section of the routine and not others. Other times we get creativity blocks and it helps to get some suggestions on how to improve to overall look of the team!

I would like to see more constructive comments about how to improve our score. Example: Add level appropriate inversion in (or into) stunt sequence to increase difficulty. In tumbling, add some variety to your specialty passes - and then give suggestions - (level 2 maybe forward stepout roundoff back handspring) Things we may not have thought of because sometimes we get tunnel vision!

Other types of comments that may or may not be helpful:
- Comment on the sections that you find unique - I know the kids love it when they hear a judge said their stunt sequence was unique. For our level 2 senior team, that means a lot to them!
- Comment technique but also tell us what group - first stunt sequence stage right, main base is stepping out during the full up.

Stuff like that. I know judges do not have nearly enough time to write everything they want but it would be nice to see comments specific to my teams rather than comments that could be seen on virtually everyone's score sheets!

Level 2 Pyramids:
A. Pyramids must follow Level 2 "Stunts" and "Dismounts" rules and are allowed up to 2 high.
B. Top persons must receive primary support from a base.
Clarification: Anytime a top person is released by the bases during a pyramid transition, the top person must land in a
cradle or dismount to the performing surface.

thank you so much

Latest posts

Back