All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Day 2: "Way to up the difficulty from yesterday". - Um we didn't change a single thing? We're you paying attention day 1?

We had a local comp judge comment on our hair and bow. - Could you please pay attention to the skills?

"Need more formation and transitions in the dance" - We had 4. How many more times can you move in a 20 second dance?

Cant agree more with the judges writing. There's still one from Cheersport that I have no idea what the comment says! It will forever be a mystery

Im wondering if you all go back and re-calculate your scores? I have heard of several issues where judges can't add properly either so you wind up in a lower place than you should have. By the time we caught ours, the comp was over and were given an apology, but no award, no recognition, and the other team still assumed they were in first. needless to say, I always double check our scores now.

I want to point out that as a judge we have just 90 seconds between routines to get our scoring complete. This means that most judges are writing on the score sheet as you're performing-which explains the lousy handwriting (it's difficult to write legibly when you're trying to comment on the stunt sequence that just went while watching the tumbling section that is happening now). Judges write as much as they can in the time they have. If you really want a full critique by a judge that really gives you indepth comments, contact a company that will contract out a judge for a routine critique.

AScheer said:
Day 2: "Way to up the difficulty from yesterday". - Um we didn't change a single thing? We're you paying attention day 1?

We had a local comp judge comment on our hair and bow. - Could you please pay attention to the skills?

"Need more formation and transitions in the dance" - We had 4. How many more times can you move in a 20 second dance?

Cant agree more with the judges writing. There's still one from Cheersport that I have no idea what the comment says! It will forever be a mystery

I had them say I needed more transitions in my dance too, and my level 2 youth team does a 5 eight count dance, and literally changes formations every eight, and one eight they change twice. And they roll and walk to these transitions... Seriously? I think they have a list of default comments to write sometimes, and go with it. Sometimes I want to take my video and scoresheet back and tell them that if they really think that, watch the video and then fix whatever points you gave my team off for your lack of attention.

Maybe your hair and bow was distracting? Obviously, you have control over that.

on the youth 2 team that i coach...we had gotten extremely cheated at a competition...now they did have a stunt fall, so i absolutely knew that they did not deserve to win...but after watching the other teams i thought they should have at least deserved 2nd or 3rd...then it was clear to me when i got the score sheet we had deductions for things such as 'hard stunt fall, hit the floor' which never happened...sometimes i'm just confused about what they judges watch, because one score sheet will say great tumbling, great jumps...and the next judges sheet will say, work on jumps. idk i don't get it lol.

Maybe your hair and bow was distracting? Obviously, you have control over that.
Sometimes commenting on the hair or bow is the nicest thing you can say.....
Apparently this judge felt it was distracting since he/she didn't like it. We do half up half down curled with bow on top. Pretty common hairstyle, but it was a small comp and we were the only team that didn't have a version of a ponytail. It was also UCA judges so I'm thinking that has something to do with it. If they had offered other comments or critiques though it would have helped all we got was "good dance, but the hair is distracting" Thats all. I know that its tough to judge and to have to do it quickly but after 2 and a half minutes the only thing to comment on was the good dance and personal opinion of the hair. It was frustrating!

We had a judge write once "Fall or full down, front right scorp?" and "Something happened in back".

These notes actually made sense to us, lol. We had a lazy flyer and this was just the message she needed! The first was her full down (before doubles were standard for level 5 or "advanced" as it was way back when ;)), the second was her toss behind our pyramid.

Sometimes those little scribled notes are awesome!

when we got back from cheersport nationals "add tumbling directly after jumps" um, hello, we're level 2, thanks for noticing!

when we got back from cheersport nationals "add tumbling directly after jumps" um, hello, we're level 2, thanks for noticing!
Cheersport HIGHLY recommends level 2 and level 4 take pauses between jumps and tumbling so you can still max out without directly connecting them. If you don't do it expect to be reminded by every judge and even get a copy of their scoring grid with it highlighted!

Back