All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

some of this thread is slightly frustrating to me... If a judge tells you to throw fulls in level4 or doubles in SO5 then that's crazy but if they tell you to add preps in level 1, or release moves/jump tumble connections in level 2, then don't assume they are wrong or you don't need it, that stuff is legal and it is necessary on certain score sheets! None of us are perfect, judges and coaches alike but don't assume you know everything, if you already have it then maybe you need more, if you don't think you should have it then obviously you are wrong because the judge thinks you do and they give you the score. When the coach doesn't do what the judges say because the judge is an idiot the team suffers because the judge gives the score.

At most companies I have judged for they tell you you HAVE to give a comment any time a team does not score in the highest possible range for a particular category telling them why they didn't get in the high range. So if you are a small level 4 team of 20 girls and you only throw 4 layouts, I'm not going to give you a score in the range below the highest range, and I'm going to say add more layouts. Do I think you have a bunch of kids on your team with layouts that just aren't doing them? No but I am telling you if you want to get in the high range (which I would assume is your goal) then you need to add more layouts

Some judges also take notes directly on the score sheet so when they write exactly what skills you did and what mistakes were made it's probably to help them remember the routine, it's not to tell you what you just saw

About my senior level 1 from last year.
NCA Judge: "great difficulty, team is ready to move up a level"
Out of 25 girls, 5 had consistent backhand springs... =/

Well said this is getting very frustrating as well. I agree that the comments about adding doubles in SO5 and things like that should be questioned but remember when judging there is a very limited amount of time to write comments. Saying add more is clearly meant "in order to maximize score" You may already know that BUT that's what you need." If they wrote great layouts and gave a low score you would want to know why. Suggestions are nice and when there is time can be very beneficial but ultimately the judge is judging the product you put on the floor that day. If you are going level 4 with 4 LO's dont be surprised if you are told you need more.

Some judges also take notes directly on the score sheet so when they write exactly what skills you did and what mistakes were made it's probably to help them remember the routine, it's not to tell you what you just saw

some of this thread is slightly frustrating to me... If a judge tells you to throw fulls in level4 or doubles in SO5 then that's crazy but if they tell you to add preps in level 1, or release moves/jump tumble connections in level 2, then don't assume they are wrong or you don't need it, that stuff is legal and it is necessary on certain score sheets! None of us are perfect, judges and coaches alike but don't assume you know everything, if you already have it then maybe you need more, if you don't think you should have it then obviously you are wrong because the judge thinks you do and they give you the score. When the coach doesn't do what the judges say because the judge is an idiot the team suffers because the judge gives the score.

At most companies I have judged for they tell you you HAVE to give a comment any time a team does not score in the highest possible range for a particular category telling them why they didn't get in the high range. So if you are a small level 4 team of 20 girls and you only throw 4 layouts, I'm not going to give you a score in the range below the highest range, and I'm going to say add more layouts. Do I think you have a bunch of kids on your team with layouts that just aren't doing them? No but I am telling you if you want to get in the high range (which I would assume is your goal) then you need to add more layouts

KB, I respectfully disagree with this comment. There are lots of times to write "add more..." and tumbling is not one of them. Unless you really don't know what your doing as a coach, you know what tumbling skills you need in the level you compete in. I CAN'T add more difficulty. And my division offers no other level tumbling to compete in. Maybe you write instead, because you have to, "your team does not meet the criteria for the high range of scores in this category" although that seems stupid too.
I am not asking for judges to write me a book, or even to point out the obvious. They don't have to be wordy. I like the sheets that have words that can be circled and the judge writes "work on": then circles a word, like "technique" or "formations".
I guess when I see that comment of "add more difficulty"... to the tumbling section of my open co ed 6 team, I tend to disregard the rest of that judge's comments as I think it is a ridiculous comment to make at that level.

Spirit Fest Nationals actually gives you an audio judges critique/comments right on a DVD of your teams performance on Day 1. This way you can actually hear the comments while watching your routine. SO nice for the kids to be able to hear when you're getting them ready for Day 2! I wish more companies did this.

I didn't know that! I wish our coach played ours for us. Granted, day 1 of that comp was our first time on the mat of the season, but I like hearing judges commentary. And I don't like when coaches don't tell you what the judges said.

I coach a high school team and we got judged by UCA on a UCA score sheet. No where on their score sheet does it mention basket tosses but every judge for both my JV and Varsity had comments about our tosses(because of course, if we didn't have tosses it would be mentioned). If you want to make comments about them then give tosses a section on the score sheet...grrr

I agree with you completely. As I stated before its different when coaches judge and get to see the inter workings of judging and sometimes the score sheets get mixed up or a team will go out of order and you might be scoring SO5 and then a Senior or Junior 4 team has to go out of order and so some comments may be out of whack. I mean judges write some crazy stuff trust me i've seen it first hand (and those things can be fixed). I actually told a team once to switch a formation because I couldn't make out what they were doing in order to score that section and day two they switched it and I def scored them higher because i could see and understand that section of the routine.

I coach a high school team and we got judged by UCA on a UCA score sheet. No where on their score sheet does it mention basket tosses but every judge for both my JV and Varsity had comments about our tosses(because of course, if we didn't have tosses it would be mentioned). If you want to make comments about them then give tosses a section on the score sheet...grrr
I coach a high school too and we competed UCA nationals last year and UCA is partnered with our High School State Championships and I can tell you right now that I have a major problem with them on all levels. They don't even have a Scoring Grid for High School (state or national level) so right their if a person doesn't like your routine then your done. lol I have jumped on my Soap Box. One the score sheet you get a 5 out of 5 for Signs, Megaphones, Flags (section) we have all that and more even in the music section to and we got 3.5's I'm like what were you watching the UCA back drop? I mean really.

They are under the partner stunt section. If you don't have them you won't be counted off, but if you have good ones then throw em!

I've judged some competitions and managed the scoresheets for competitions. It's very hard being a judge. You get 2 minutes and 30 seconds to see it all, judge it accurately and then everyone wants comments. If the competition is smaller, you have level 2 teams and level 3 teams going back to back and sometimes, it just happens, you mix up the skill by level. It's not right, but I have seen it happen, even at LARGE competitions.

I think comments are good. We have many coaches approach us after a competition to understand what they could do better. I prefer comments on a different sheet. This allows the judges to write down what ever they want, set their scores and then we can review the comments and either add the good ones for the coaches or change the way something was commented into something more positive that will help the coaches.

It's a balance.

I have to say - even though Spirit Cheer last weekend in Hartford maybe wasn't the best run competition, but the judges were really good with their comments for all our teams - like it was constructive comments. they offered suggestions and ideas to max out in different areas & things like that. first time in all my years of coaching that i saw that....

Bumping up an old thread to share a few comments our teams received this weekend that made us scratch our head, lol

Level 3 team: "Add bhs after jump to increase difficulty" Uhhh, we had a double bhs after the jump, did you miss it?
: "Need to see more tucks" listed in the standing tumbling section

Level 4: "Add more jumps to increase difficulty" We do a quad jump (hurdler, double toe, hurdler) as well as a jump to tumbling

I'm so glad you bumped this. I had forgotten about it and I missed the "spaghetti" one before. So funny--this thread makes me laugh.:D

our best one yet - DON'T SING DURING THE DANCE!!
We were at a small local & i think the judges were not used to all stars.
They also gave us random deductions for no good reason....

Back