All-Star Decrease In Worlds Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bout time!

Wonder if the expense of Worlds will increase? I've always figured that the AL bids were helping to foot the bill of Worlds in some capacity.

Bout time!

Wonder if the expense of Worlds will increase? I've always figured that the AL bids were helping to foot the bill of Worlds in some capacity.
I doubt it. They only increased the # of AL last year or the year before.

i feel like its about time. Now maybe only the better teams may go.. But still there is going to be teams that are not good enough but this is a step in the right direction.

(And i need to be better at spellchecking so I dont have to edit everytime i post..)

Andre posted about this a few days ago!

Usasf April Enews | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Bout time!

There were something like 80 more bids this year than last year because soooo many comps got an extra paid bid. USASF still gets paid when a team with a paid bid goes, they just get $600 (or whatever it is) from the EP instead of the gym. (I believe)

Even with the extra teams, the numbers have been increasing so much in the past few years, that we'll have a dip in number, but probably not much less than maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

@NJ Coach - it's been 3 for every 1 for every year I've been to Worlds I believe. So since at least 2011, if not longer.

There were something like 80 more bids this year than last year because soooo many comps got an extra paid bid. USASF still gets paid when a team with a paid bid goes, they just get $600 (or whatever it is) from the EP instead of the gym. (I believe)

Even with the extra teams, the numbers have been increasing so much in the past few years, that we'll have a dip in number, but probably not much less than maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

@NJ Coach - it's been 3 for every 1 for every year I've been to Worlds I believe. So since at least 2011, if not longer.
I know it used to be 2 for every 1, but I guess it could've been longer since it's changed. AL also used to be passed down, but I think everyone was grateful that changed.

My simple math tells me that next year's competition will be much smaller that this year. Assuming the same number of paid bids next year, there will be 104 fewer at-large bids to be awarded. This is more than a 30% reduction in at-large possible. A likely implication is that there will also be more at-large bids that go unused. With fewer at-large bids a higher percentage of bids will be upgraded to paid at a subsequent competition. This year there are about 50 at-large that were upgraded to paid. The number of upgrades might stay the same, but it will be higher percentage of the base. While there is projected to be 250 at-large teams this year, the number is likely to be 150 or fewer next year. This is almost a 40% reduction in at-large bids. A bid to World's next year will really start to mean something.

As a side note, I think that this hurts the bigger competitions more. NCA and Cheersport will each lose 8 at-large bids. Instead of being 8 and 24, they will both be 8 and 16.

My simple math tells me that next year's competition will be much smaller that this year. Assuming the same number of paid bids next year, there will be 104 fewer at-large bids to be awarded. This is more than a 30% reduction in at-large possible. A likely implication is that there will also be more at-large bids that go unused. With fewer at-large bids a higher percentage of bids will be upgraded to paid at a subsequent competition. This year there are about 50 at-large that were upgraded to paid. The number of upgrades might stay the same, but it will be higher percentage of the base. While there is projected to be 250 at-large teams this year, the number is likely to be 150 or fewer next year. This is almost a 40% reduction in at-large bids. A bid to World's next year will really start to mean something.

As a side note, I think that this hurts the bigger competitions more. NCA and Cheersport will each lose 8 at-large bids. Instead of being 8 and 24, they will both be 8 and 16.

Well it will obviously be smaller than this year. But this year had about 80 more bids than last year and 316 at large bids. So knock about 100 off of that for next year. And if EPs have grown in size, we might see some more events with an extra paid bid. So while numbers will be smaller than this year, they won't be that much less than last year - we'll probably be matching bid counts similar to 2 or 3 years ago.

It's a 33% reduction in at large bids (technically less because of the bids associated with partial paid), but the number of paid bids has increased a lot as well (about 20 more this season IIRC).

It won't hurt them that much. NCA didn't quite have the problem this year, but last year they had more bids than teams to give it to. Weirdly enough, even though there are more bids this year, I haven't noticed the problem of more bids than teams towards the end of the year as much this season as I did last year. Both NCA and UCA had more bids than teams last year.

But proportionally it stays the same with NCA and CHEERSPORT etc still having a larger spread of bids period so I don't think it will impact them. While they are losing 8 AL every other competition is losing proportionally the same so it stays even.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back