Do You Look Down On Small Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just beacause a gym "places high at worlds" doesn't give their atheletes the right to look down at any one else. If that same athelete left the big named gym and came to your gym would that make your team place better?
lets remember it is a TEAM sport and I would remind your "friends" that as well.

I can't imagine being part of a gym that has more than one location. I can't imagine showing up to a competition and not knowing someone that's wearing the same uniform. I love my small gym, and I know every single kid that walks through the door.

Wouldn't have it any other way!
This. This is why I cheer small gym. You and your team may be a family. Me and my GYM are a family. I can safely say I know 90% of the kids in our program. I never thought about it the way it was posted above, but I cannot imagine seeing some one wearing my uniform and being like "Wow, I've never seen you in my life before."

And in the opposite direction, I feel like I sometimes look down at large gyms. I just feel like kids there are missing out on the opportunities I've had to form such close connections with my program

Some larger gyms might feel threatened by the inevitable competition of a small gym. Cheerleading is cheerleading no matter where you are, it's most important that you're in a gym that you feel happy & comfortable in!

i cheer at a small gym. i live about 20 min from World Cup, but i would never go there ( that in NO way was meant to be offensive to World Cup ). its just that i love my small gym because i know everyone and everyone knows me. Even everyone's parents know everyone and everyone knows everyone's parents. My gym owner knows everyone's name and what skills they throw and how high there jumps are ect ect. basically what i went to Stingrays to tumble and there were practices going on and the tumbling instructor kept asking me if i was okay because i looked nervous. i told him i was really overwhelmed because there were SO many people and im not used to being in a gym with that many people. i couldn't imagine trying to learn all those girls and what team they were on.

I cheer at a small gym in a small town, myself. It's rough hearing all the negative comments, and the people that leave because they aren't loyal and would rather win than build character. But in the end, what matters is how YOU feel when you're performing, or even who surrounds you at practice. And who will be there to encourage, push, and support you the whole time without letting you down. Cheering at a small gym is not only building your character, but making it more of a challenge. You push yourself and your team even more because you become closer since there isn't as many of you, and prove the larger gyms/squads wrong since the size of your team shouldn't be the only thing holding you back from a better placing. IMHO.

I cheer at a small gym and have many friends that cheer at large, popular gyms. Knowing I cheer at a small gym, and they don't, I feel like they kind of look down on me like I'm not good enough to go to a larger gym. So, what do you think about small gyms?
I think a small gym can be a good thing. there is nothing wrong with coming from a small gym at all :))

I cheer at a small gym and have many friends that cheer at large, popular gyms. Knowing I cheer at a small gym, and they don't, I feel like they kind of look down on me like I'm not good enough to go to a larger gym. So, what do you think about small gyms?
I think a small gym can be a good thing. there is nothing wrong with coming from a small gym at all :))

A lot of people won't be the first to admit it, but many large gym athletes can probably say they do look down on the smaller gyms. Being a big gym athlete and moving to a small gym was...weird to say the least. But now I love it and wouldn't change gyms for anything. Also, OAcheerleader , our gyms are 'sister gyms', I cheer for Carolina Spirit Athletics. :)

Oh cool i cheer at Odyssey Athletics but apparently you already know that if you know that your out 'sister gym'... but that's cool maybe i'll see you at a competition or something

Oh cool i cheer at Odyssey Athletics but apparently you already know that if you know that your out 'sister gym'... but that's cool maybe i'll see you at a competition or something
do you cheer at concord or lincolnton? we do exhibition days with concord gym.

I used to cheer on a YMCA team which i suppose you could consider a "small gym" if you wanted. The only reason I cheered there was because it was only 15 minutes from my house and all the other gyms I've heard of were like 1-2 hours away. Personally I hated it because it was my first time doing all-stars and it didn't hold up to my expectations. No tryouts, people quit left and right, our coach put us in the wrong divisions at comps (level 3 and I was the only tumbler smh), and we had a lot of easily preventable injuries. Now I'm on a bigger team and even though I have to drive an hour and a half to get there its worth it because my old "gym" was a joke.
I think that if you do go to a small gym and you're happy there then stick with that. If its a talented gym I'll respect that but if they're anything like my old "gym" I will look down on it because I think that its just sad.

at one point in time, cheer athletics, top gun, F5 and many others were small gyms, but now that they've actually become bigger they have changed. I cheer for a small gym, but in all honesty, some small gyms have the same skills as gyms such as cheer athletics.

I've seen many small gyms that are equally as good as large gyms. I do think however, if an athlete wants to go to Worlds and be competitive you (unfortunately) have to go to a large gym. We are at a small gym and are thinking of making the jump to a big gym next season for this reason only. We love the family feel of our small gym, but my CP's dream in life is Worlds!

Back