All-Star Double Up / 1.5 Up Grips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
So we've been doing the Ruby Slipper full up grip for a while now with pretty good success. We've been doing it to plattform as well as the slightly altered version fur full ups to one legged stunts.

How do y'all do 1.5 ups or double ups though?

I learned two different versions these past years but they both rely on the oldschool full up grip and I was wondering, whether there is an easier way.
Do I just keep th Ruby Slipper grip and let the bases rotate even more?

Then I saw this today and it looks like both main and side are not loosing the connection while still only walking 1/2 or 3/4 circle:
Best Tab open

Any insight at all, what grip they use?

I want to teach my team the easiest way possible, so I'd really appreciate some input as I need to get all of these new grips from the boards or from analyzing YouTube videos.

Last edited:
I know this exact grip, but im thinking of how i would describe it. At your gym what base would you consider as the main/side? For this stunt I would view the base that stays connected the whole time (Who starts behind the flyer) as the main. The other base (in this case im calling the side) does actually let go- its just a matter of then grabbing the other foot ASAP to help the main base finish the rotation. Now the main base does actually use the old school full up grip, with the left had neutral and the right hand pointing in (to create rotation). To begin we find it helpful to stick the pointer finder out, down the shoe so its easier to spot for the other hand. The side base has a normal squish grip and throws and literally just grabs onto the foot ASAP to help finish the spin. The backspot has one hand on the foot theyre tossing up and one hand around the ankle that the flyer will be rotating/standing on.
Hope this was somewhat helpful

I know this exact grip, but im thinking of how i would describe it. At your gym what base would you consider as the main/side? For this stunt I would view the base that stays connected the whole time (Who starts behind the flyer) as the main. The other base (in this case im calling the side) does actually let go- its just a matter of then grabbing the other foot ASAP to help the main base finish the rotation. Now the main base does actually use the old school full up grip, with the left had neutral and the right hand pointing in (to create rotation). To begin we find it helpful to stick the pointer finder out, down the shoe so its easier to spot for the other hand. The side base has a normal squish grip and throws and literally just grabs onto the foot ASAP to help finish the spin. The backspot has one hand on the foot theyre tossing up and one hand around the ankle that the flyer will be rotating/standing on.
Hope this was somewhat helpful

Thank you so much! I think that's pretty similar to the second technique, I was tought a year or two ago, except for the backspot that shared the foot of the side base (I think we mean the same bases :) )instead of grabbing the ankles.

I thought (hoped ^^) there was a way to 1.5 up with the bases never letting go just like in the full up grip. But I'll definitely try and have the backspot grip the way you described. Sounds like that would help the main base a little better.

How about full arounds? Is it possible to go down from say a lib to a prep level grip, where you can basically have the everyone-stays-connected-grip from the full up and lat the bases turn a little?

I hope, I'm makingh sense. Its pretty early and I haven't had any coffee. :D

Thank you so much! I think that's pretty similar to the second technique, I was tought a year or two ago, except for the backspot that shared the foot of the side base (I think we mean the same bases :) )instead of grabbing the ankles.

I thought (hoped ^^) there was a way to 1.5 up with the bases never letting go just like in the full up grip. But I'll definitely try and have the backspot grip the way you described. Sounds like that would help the main base a little better.

How about full arounds? Is it possible to go down from say a lib to a prep level grip, where you can basically have the everyone-stays-connected-grip from the full up and lat the bases turn a little?

I hope, I'm makingh sense. Its pretty early and I haven't had any coffee. :D
hmm I think there is a 1.5 around grip where the bases dont let go- just trying to think about the side base's job. I'll get back to you on that haha

And for the grip I described earlier, depending how strong the group is, the backspot can either grab both ankles, or help throw the foot in squish and hold ankle of the spinning foot

So we've been doing the Ruby Slipper full up grip for a while now with pretty good success. We've been doing it to plattform as well as the slightly altered version fur full ups to one legged stunts.

How do y'all do 1.5 ups or double ups though?

I learned two different versions these past years but they both rely on the oldschool full up grip and I was wondering, whether there is an easier way.
Do I just keep th Ruby Slipper grip and let the bases rotate even more?

Then I saw this today and it looks like both main and side are not loosing the connection while still only walking 1/2 or 3/4 circle:
Best Tab open

Any insight at all, what grip they use?

I want to teach my team the easiest way possible, so I'd really appreciate some input as I need to get all of these new grips from the boards or from analyzing YouTube videos.
That has always been my biggest issue with Ruby slippers, at least in cross leg full ups the base uses a traditional full up grip and the second has to find the foot with one hand. I feel like Ruby slippers never teach the base or bagspot how to find and regrip, which is an essential part of a double up. I suppose you could have the bases walk the riby slipped an extra half, I saw some teams doing that at worlds, even from big name gyms, but I personally am not a fan of how it looks but that's just me I guess. It looks like a cop out to me.

However, that being said, it would score just as well as a 1.5 up with a double up grip, so I guess a judges opinion matters more than mine ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hmm I think there is a 1.5 around grip where the bases dont let go- just trying to think about the side base's job. I'll get back to you on that haha

And for the grip I described earlier, depending how strong the group is, the backspot can either grab both ankles, or help throw the foot in squish and hold ankle of the spinning foot

What about this video:
Coyote_CHRIS

It looks like the side base is only re-grabbing with her left hand, while the main also remains in contact with the flyer.
I've watched it over and over again but can't really figure it out...

Back