High School Full Up Grips To One Legged Stunts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 1, 2015
Hi all! So currently my squad uses the ruby slipper grip to full up to extensions or libs. Recently I just discovered another full up grip that I really like, but I've only seen one team do it. So the flyer and the back base stay the same in their positions and then the main base and secondary switch places temporarily. The main base takes the right foot in a crossed hands grip and then the secondary base reaches under the foot in the same way for the ruby slipper grip. Then as the stunt is going up the bases circle underneath the back base and the flyer twists up to the top.

This team does it in their stunt sequence and at the end of their pyramid. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this full up and how come a lot of teams don't really do it.

Wow, Ive actually never seen this... the secondary base literally walks UNDER the backspot..
Would love to know these grips as well !

We did the ruby slipper full up this year. It's not going to score as well if you're thinking about attending varsity. We didn't have bad stunt scores, but we were only middle of the pack. This isn't conjecture, I actually talked to the scoring people at varsity before I put it in the routine. In the end, it was worth taking a little hit on our difficulty for me in order for our stunts to be solid (they were).

Would this even be legal according to all star rules? I am thinking about this weeks rules quiz, i.e. no passing under a stunt.

It's legal. It's a rotation. It's just an easy rotation. It's basically not much different than having the bases pick the flyer up and turn a circle with her. Remember, for legality purposes, the back is not a base, but is a spotter. So there's nothing that prevents a base from walking around under the stunt she is basing.

From the UCA scoring personnel I spoke with before we went to the ruby slipper grip, "any skill like that is going to be evaluated based on the amount of walking the bases do. The less movement, the higher the score."

Would this even be legal according to all star rules? I am thinking about this weeks rules quiz, i.e. no passing under a stunt.
The USASF rule cited in this week's quiz says SEPARATE stunt (emphasis mine). If everyone is touching the same flyer, it isn't a separate stunt.

I'm not sure on the grips, but this doesn't seem much different than what a lot of all star teams used to do for full ups. I remember teams like World Cup Odyssey and Maryland Twisters Reign doing it similarly if not just like that in like the 08, 09, 10 timeframe. There were lots and lots of other all star teams that did it then too if you want to look for other videos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost looks like the secondary base (or the base that starts in the position) is using a half up grip? Not sure on the other base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the ruby slipper full up this year. It's not going to score as well if you're thinking about attending varsity. We didn't have bad stunt scores, but we were only middle of the pack. This isn't conjecture, I actually talked to the scoring people at varsity before I put it in the routine. In the end, it was worth taking a little hit on our difficulty for me in order for our stunts to be solid (they were).
I guess it depended on the division. We put in true full ups to the top and got outscored by non release two footed ruby slipper full ups. I wasn't thrilled with that at all!

I don't think this is passing under a stunt. That is more in terms of a backspot walking through the prep to be in the front. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the rules though?

I guess it depended on the division. We put in true full ups to the top and got outscored by non release two footed ruby slipper full ups. I wasn't thrilled with that at all!

That sounds inconsistent. I obviously can't speak to reality, but only to what I was told. I will say that when I dropped our "end of first music" pyramid, and added another stunt formation with a more advanced body position, our stunt score was more in line with people at nationals than I thought it would be. We also had a couple of inversions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a two-footed ruby slipper full up. I am familiar with all of the true versions. I am familiar with the ruby slipper full up to one leg. I am familiar with the cross-leg full up to two legs. In my experience teaching the skills, the difficulty ladder should climb like this:

cross-leg full up
true full up to cupie position
ruby slipper full up to one leg
true full up to immediate one-leg body position
anything with more than a full rotation.

That sounds inconsistent. I obviously can't speak to reality, but only to what I was told. I will say that when I dropped our "end of first music" pyramid, and added another stunt formation with a more advanced body position, our stunt score was more in line with people at nationals than I thought it would be. We also had a couple of inversions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a two-footed ruby slipper full up. I am familiar with all of the true versions. I am familiar with the ruby slipper full up to one leg. I am familiar with the cross-leg full up to two legs. In my experience teaching the skills, the difficulty ladder should climb like this:

cross-leg full up
true full up to cupie position
ruby slipper full up to one leg
true full up to immediate one-leg body position
anything with more than a full rotation.
Two footed ruby slipper is where they go to a two footed stunt instead of one. It's like a half up (maybe not even a half up) that the bases walk the rest of the way. Maybe just a walking extension that loads like a ruby slipper? Not sure, I will say they did it really clean, but it's quite frustrating to see their stunt score knowing their whole stunt sequence!

Flyer faced the front and loaded in the ruby slipper position. Main base starts in back, as far as I can tell grabbed a normal grip. Backspot starts in secondary spot and holds ankles. Secondary started in mains spot and I assume has to cross her hands for the grip but it's hard to tell what they did.

Two footed ruby slipper is where they go to a two footed stunt instead of one. It's like a half up (maybe not even a half up) that the bases walk the rest of the way. Maybe just a walking extension that loads like a ruby slipper? Not sure, I will say they did it really clean, but it's quite frustrating to see their stunt score knowing their whole stunt sequence!

Flyer faced the front and loaded in the ruby slipper position. Main base starts in back, as far as I can tell grabbed a normal grip. Backspot starts in secondary spot and holds ankles. Secondary started in mains spot and I assume has to cross her hands for the grip but it's hard to tell what they did.

I've actually never considered doing that. I don't see the point. If I wanted to cheat a full up to two feet, I'd do it with a cross leg variety. We did that in our cheer section, behind a pyramid so it couldn't be seen as well.

Back