High School Full Up Grips To One Legged Stunts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@AScheer I think you original assumption was correct.. This not a true rotation.. It's sort of a "trick the eye"... Maybe even an entirely different type of stunt from the "full up all together"... ? Kind of like how a switch up is different from a reverse switch or a tick toc. The walk under is not a walk "under at all" more of a "switch over" of position. Thoughts?

Last edited:
@AScheer I think you original assumption was correct.. This not a true rotation.. It's sort of a "trick the eye"... Maybe even an entirely different type of stunt from the "full up all together"... ? Kind of like how a switch up is different from a reverse switch or a tick toc. The walk under is not a walk "under at all" more of a "switch over" of position. Thoughts?
I actually kind of like it. If the flyer does her job well, you can easily miss that it's not a real full up. The backspot isn't moving and if the bases switch quick enough and tight enough you miss it. I think turning it to the side hides the base switch even more. I agree though, it's not a full up, but I don't know that it could be its own thing either.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it Dr Phillips who won a couple of years ago without doing a single true full up? The got creative and spun all sorts of ways but no actual release full ups. Maybe I'm misremembering, I'll have to look for a video tomorrow.

My team does a high to high full around (international 4) with bases rotating similar to this, but two leg of course because level 4 and our gyms senior 4 does the same base rotation but does a power press full around! We personally like it better and as a backspot it's super easy for to be catch and make stable once rotation is complete. We score in high range for stunts.

Also I'm pretty sure Kenny taught it at USASF regional meetings at the begining of the season!

My team does a high to high full around (international 4) with bases rotating similar to this, but two leg of course because level 4 and our gyms senior 4 does the same base rotation but does a power press full around! We personally like it better and as a backspot it's super easy for to be catch and make stable once rotation is complete. We score in high range for stunts.

Also I'm pretty sure Kenny taught it at USASF regional meetings at the begining of the season!

All stars typically scores differently on these variations than school. All stars will call something a full up if the flyer's torso rotates 360 degrees. Because of the nature of all star scoring they may differentiate between the different varieties of full ups by a tenth of a point, if that much. UCA high school divisions have a much broader scoring range and you can get hit much harder.

Hi all! So currently my squad uses the ruby slipper grip to full up to extensions or libs. Recently I just discovered another full up grip that I really like, but I've only seen one team do it. So the flyer and the back base stay the same in their positions and then the main base and secondary switch places temporarily. The main base takes the right foot in a crossed hands grip and then the secondary base reaches under the foot in the same way for the ruby slipper grip. Then as the stunt is going up the bases circle underneath the back base and the flyer twists up to the top.

This team does it in their stunt sequence and at the end of their pyramid. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this full up and how come a lot of teams don't really do it.

Going through the old video thread I found this one of F5 in 2010. Pretty sure it's the same type of full up at 30 seconds, but to two legs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't it Dr Phillips who won a couple of years ago without doing a single true full up? The got creative and spun all sorts of ways but no actual release full ups. Maybe I'm misremembering, I'll have to look for a video tomorrow.

YES!

There is also the two foot load in for full up to lib. The bases do not move their physical bodies, except for grips and the flyer is rotation by herself. Here is a video of my stunt groups doing it. Secondary bases grips starts off with the flyer just stepping into their hand after they step into the main bases and they toss it up and wait for her to rotate half way around and then grab their grips and finish the rotation. The main base grips are as follows, left hand is how it usually is when the flyer loads in, the but the right hand is twisted so the palm is facing up but the fingers are turned counter clockwise facing the base's stomach. The bases then bounce the flyer and the flyer rides it around and holds her weight while the main base releases the left hand and twist the right hand undone clockwise to the point where the fingertips are facing the base's left hand wrist. Therefore the right hand holds onto the flyer's toes/front part of foot while the left hand releases and catches her heel once fully rotated. The backspot's grips/job is fairly easy as they have the flyer load in and then grab ankles, bounce and let go. They then watch for the full rotation and grab ankles and support. Flyers load in main then second and your option is to hold your weight by shoulders or you may use your arms (above you) to hold your weight.
(SIDENOTE- if the base is having a hard time with the right hand stabilizing after the rotation, the secondary base can catch hold on the main base's right hand that is holding up the flyer's toes. Also, backspots, if there is a problem with fully rotating you can watch for 3/4 rotation and grab ankle, push up and around to complete the rotation. Also make sure to throw up not out!)

Here are two videos.

I know for allstar rotations are determined by the hips of a flyer, so technically all of the variations listed above will classify as "true fullups" even those of us who cheered before 2013 know that isn't true lol.

Hi all! So currently my squad uses the ruby slipper grip to full up to extensions or libs. Recently I just discovered another full up grip that I really like, but I've only seen one team do it. So the flyer and the back base stay the same in their positions and then the main base and secondary switch places temporarily. The main base takes the right foot in a crossed hands grip and then the secondary base reaches under the foot in the same way for the ruby slipper grip. Then as the stunt is going up the bases circle underneath the back base and the flyer twists up to the top.

This team does it in their stunt sequence and at the end of their pyramid. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this full up and how come a lot of teams don't really do it.

If i am seeing correctly, it looks like the side base starts in the main position (and vice versa) but the side base has a "full up" grip in the middle of the flyers foot rather than the toe (right hand turning inside where the fingers are pointing to their stomach) and the main base has a "half up" grip (where his/her left hand is over the right hand in a criss cross look). They then move to their original positions while untwisting their hands. hope this helps!

Back