High School Doubling From A Single Leg

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That would be awesome, thank you soo much! We can't hold tryouts or start practicing for another month so that gives me plenty of time to understand. I have girls who twist really slow and then really fast so if they learn to wait and square then twist the same speed it would make such a difference. It would also really help those girls that want to jump out of their bases hands and spin like the tazmanain devil.
hey yall i have the video! if you want it then please tell me your email and i'll email it to you cause i dont want to put it on youtube!

make sure the girls arms stay in tight the whole way and don't open up that can cause serious injury to the bases, also the back spots should catch shoulder blades instead of a single where they would catch under the armpit.

i learned from an arabesque, but i think doubling from scales are so much easier! when some people double from arabesques they tend to dive head first to the ground, but in a scale you're already straight up so all you have to do is pull up snap you legg and twist :)

i'm a flyer and i think that doubling from a scorpion is the easiest because you are always pulling up! unless the flyers don't have good scorps, then it's not as easy! but heel stretches are probably the hardest for me. :)

I thought you could no longer double down in high school cheer. Did the rules change again?
Last I heard there was no change of rules to allow doubles, I feel like it would be a fairly large deal for that to happen and it would definitely be a "hot" topic on the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also have to keep in mind that many, MANY high school teams have coaches without proper training, credentials, or even with no cheerleading experience at all. I learned that firsthand working UCA camps last summer. Coaches will want their teams who just hit a jank lib for .4 seconds to immediately start working full ups way more often than one would expect...and many of these coaches are ones who get "cool new tricks" to try with their team from YouTube videos and Bring It On.

The removal of double downs was smart -- it prevents a lot of injuries that I know have happened due to insufficient progressions. I know that many teams CAN safely execute this skill, but unfortunately many school systems and athletic departments require all coaches to come from the school faculty and/or just don't really care about the cheerleaders, which makes finding a skilled coach difficult.

You also have to keep in mind that many, MANY high school teams have coaches without proper training, credentials, or even with no cheerleading experience at all. I learned that firsthand working UCA camps last summer. Coaches will want their teams who just hit a jank lib for .4 seconds to immediately start working full ups way more often than one would expect...and many of these coaches are ones who get "cool new tricks" to try with their team from YouTube videos and Bring It On.

The removal of double downs was smart -- it prevents a lot of injuries that I know have happened due to insufficient progressions. I know that many teams CAN safely execute this skill, but unfortunately many school systems and athletic departments require all coaches to come from the school faculty and/or just don't really care about the cheerleaders, which makes finding a skilled coach difficult.

Example: I was on Instagram about a week ago and saw video of a Texas middle school team doing a LEVEL 6/COLLEGIATE LEVEL PYRAMID. ON A BASKETBALL COURT.

WHAT.

Example: I was on Instagram about a week ago and saw video of a Texas middle school team doing a LEVEL 6/COLLEGIATE LEVEL PYRAMID. ON A BASKETBALL COURT.

WHAT.
Omg crazy. I saw a video of a high school team (Russian I think) that was doing level 6 pyramid with sort of a level 5 flying element. One flyer flew over the mid layer flyer and landed on her feet on the gym floor. There was no other stunt group/bases that caught her.

Last edited:
Back