All-Star Espn Article About All-star Cheer Anyone? :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you all for responding with your follow up. That piece that they wrote was really unnecessary, IMHO. There are way too many sterotypes out there, and too much misinformation. My skin still crawls when I hear "oh, she does THAT?" She's so young!" or "oh, can you do a cheer for me!" I too started at our gym from a "lower-level" program, and had many preconceived notions of what allstar was going to be like. They have all been shattered by the experiences we have had over the past two seasons, and my daughters and I now have the greatest network of friends and support one could ask for. This SPORT has taken my meek, introverted daughter and transformed her completely into a self-confident athlete who is very proud of who she is and what she does!

Thank you all for responding with your follow up. That piece that they wrote was really unnecessary, IMHO. There are way too many sterotypes out there, and too much misinformation. My skin still crawls when I hear "oh, she does THAT?" She's so young!" or "oh, can you do a cheer for me!" I too started at our gym from a "lower-level" program, and had many preconceived notions of what allstar was going to be like. They have all been shattered by the experiences we have had over the past two seasons, and my daughters and I now have the greatest network of friends and support one could ask for. This SPORT has taken my meek, introverted daughter and transformed her completely into a self-confident athlete who is very proud of who she is and what she does!
You're welcome..I just couldn't not say anything, especially after Lymarie confirmed the inaccuracies and made up parts to her reporting (the journalist).

You're welcome..I just couldn't not say anything, especially after Lymarie confirmed the inaccuracies and made up parts to her reporting (the journalist).

Yeah, again, I was disgusted. I feel like whenever I talk to someone outside of the cheer world, I probably spend twice as much time explaining allstars, or for that matter defending it. I just wish that article treated the sport as legit.

I sent Ms. Shapiro this email yesterday (she actually responded to the email I sent back when this article first appeared and we went back and forth responding to one another when I refused to accept her generic "explanations")

Samantha,

Here's what a real article on our sport chronicled by a reputable news organization and journalist not trying to purposefully put a slant on it, looks like.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/15/sports.sweep.allstar.cheerleading/index.html

Wow! I can't believe that article. I'm a journalism student and a journalist should never allow their own personal stereotypes to influence their writing. I'm just home from a year abroad in North Carolina, can I come back and write a real article on you guys? :)

Wow! I can't believe that article. I'm a journalism student and a journalist should never allow their own personal stereotypes to influence their writing. I'm just home from a year abroad in North Carolina, can I come back and write a real article on you guys? :)
Stoooop talking about going to UNCW, your living my dream life :p!

yes, I caught this too...you see, in writing it's all about how and where you word things that give it a slant (purposefully). I'm sure she was at least trying to give the sport some credit, but she definitely worded things in a passive aggressive way at times, and tried to put a slant on it by the order in which she worded things as well (sorry, it's the journalism talking in me which runs in my family..my grandmother was an editor of a newspaper for 30 years, a reporter, an author) I felt the slant at the beginning of the second paragraph..."Haylie is dressed in the Glitter Stars' practice uniform: a teal, sequined bow in her light brown hair, a teal, glitter half-top that buckles over her flat chest, and black cheerleading shorts. Really lady?? Those little quips were unnecessary (and that one was creepy...I mean would you use the same wording describing a young girl's bathing suit top?)
I thought the same thing! And the naked Barbie comment?

Latest posts

Back