Ethical Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm sorry if I missed this but, where are they recruiting? Twitter? Facebook?

I'm sorry if I missed this but, where are they recruiting? Twitter? Facebook?
I believe it is on one of those social media sites. Not sure, another parent sent that to me upset because some of her daughters friends were pressuring her little girl.

I have another question.......How do other cheer gyms, parents, coaches, etc.... feel about a gym being owned by former JAM employees and amazingly at Jam events those teams always do really well? Way better than they have ever done at NCA or Cheersport.

I have another question.......How do other cheer gyms, parents, coaches, etc.... feel about a gym being owned by former JAM employees and amazingly at Jam events those teams always do really well? Way better than they have ever done at NCA or Cheersport.
Varsity owns Premier gyms and now Varsity and JAM are under the same umbrella, so this is nothing new and something you won't ever be able to avoid, but I don't remember Premier winning a World Championship or multiple titles at NCA, etc. Even professional sports have a lot of politics, conflicts of interest and former coaches involved in the league government. I do think there are issues with all star cheer, but think the examples you are bringing up happen in most sports.

Varsity owns Premier gyms and now Varsity and JAM are under the same umbrella, so this is nothing new and something you won't ever be able to avoid, but I don't remember Premier winning a World Championship or multiple titles at NCA, etc. Even professional sports have a lot of politics, conflicts of interest and former coaches involved in the league government. I do think there are issues with all star cheer, but think the examples you are bringing up happen in most sports.
Oh I do understand politics. Professional sports especially with owners and commissioners. Like I said I am pretty new to this arena and didn't realize the corruption in cheerleading. I guess it has just become a big business and people are capitalizing on it every way they can. Sure wish I would have invented it, Lol.

I read the response you posted and if they are doing this on social media, I'm ok with that. If they are handing out pamphlets on your gym parking lot or at comps like contraband, that's a different story. Honestly, your gym is going to be fine if it's a good program. Gym's use social media to attract customers all the time, and to offer a free uniform and $250 credit for a certain location would be considered advertising and not what they consider recruiting in AS. Friends recruiting other friends to gyms, you're right, we are probably the most high pressure sales people out there for our program if we love them but, I consider that normal, as well.

As far as, EP's owning gyms, I have never felt any of those teams have placed anywhere but, where they should. I do tend to believe we all look at them with a more critical eye and, if anything, I've always felt they were probably judged with a more critical eye than with favor.

If you are new to AS, I strongly encourage you to ignore those that live by the "corruption and conspiracy" handbook. AS has its issues like any sport but, it is truly one of the best things that has ever happened to my kids, as far as, building confidence and character. I have found the majority of parents, coaches, gyms, and EP's want to make AS a fantastic experience for our kids. As far as, the small percentage of others, they're everywhere, ignore, block, smile your way past the nonsense.

I read the response you posted and if they are doing this on social media, I'm ok with that. If they are handing out pamphlets on your gym parking lot or at comps like contraband, that's a different story. Honestly, your gym is going to be fine if it's a good program. Gym's use social media to attract customers all the time, and to offer a free uniform and $250 credit for a certain location would be considered advertising and not what they consider recruiting in AS. Friends recruiting other friends to gyms, you're right, we are probably the most high pressure sales people out there for our program if we love them but, I consider that normal, as well.

As far as, EP's owning gyms, I have never felt any of those teams have placed anywhere but, where they should. I do tend to believe we all look at them with a more critical eye and, if anything, I've always felt they were probably judged with a more critical eye than with favor.

If you are new to AS, I strongly encourage you to ignore those that live by the "corruption and conspiracy" handbook. AS has its issues like any sport but, it is truly one of the best things that has ever happened to my kids, as far as, building confidence and character. I have found the majority of parents, coaches, gyms, and EP's want to make AS a fantastic experience for our kids. As far as, the small percentage of others, they're everywhere, ignore, block, smile your way past the nonsense.
I do think that is awesome that you have seen them graded more critical versus in favor. Unfortunately, just the few competitions I have been to I have noticed quite the opposite. Teams that were far better, no bobbles, no drops, higher skills placed below said teams. That is why I did some digging into the owners and coaches. Maybe there is no correlation, but if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck, it probably is a duck. Just my opinion.

I do think that is awesome that you have seen them graded more critical versus in favor. Unfortunately, just the few competitions I have been to I have noticed quite the opposite. Teams that were far better, no bobbles, no drops, higher skills placed below said teams. That is why I did some digging into the owners and coaches. Maybe there is no correlation, but if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck, it probably is a duck. Just my opinion.

Forgive me but, I'm going to call bull feathers if you are new to the sport and you already have the scoring down pat to the point you can determine difficulty and ratio's. I'm calling the duck on this one.

You'll see that all-star cheer is a sport built on networking. Everybody knows somebody else who has a best friend at company X who helped EP Y and their all together at competition Z together. It's true that there are some snakes out there. But, that is also true for any sport out there. Those people usually end up under fire eventually. Karma is a b***h.

If there is a gym nearby that is recruiting and offering cool stuff, then let them. The more you stay out of cheer drama, the better. Not all gyms are going to be 100% ethical in their practices. But if a gym is shady enough to pull a lot of crap, they'll lose their athletes eventually.

Forgive me but, I'm going to call bull feathers if you are new to the sport and you already have the scoring down pat to the point you can determine difficulty and ratio's. I'm calling the duck on this one.
Nope don't know the grading or scoring, but when you see a lot of girls fall and other teams don't; just to mention one thing; kind of looks suspicious. And, I notice that Jam events do not post at actual score but I have seen that NCA actually posts the score.
I have mentioned before, when I get involved with something I tend to do a lot of research and reading. There are so many inconsistencies in this sport just in the few we have talked about in this thread that leads me to conclude it is more of a totally objective scoring system. I think they have a pretty routine and I like their uniforms, everyone looks like they are doing what they are suppose to be doing, so hey let's grade them really good.

You'll see that all-star cheer is a sport built on networking. Everybody knows somebody else who has a best friend at company X who helped EP Y and their all together at competition Z together. It's true that there are some snacks in the grass out there. But, that is also true for any sport out there. Those people usually end up under fire eventually. Karma is a b***h.

If there is a gym nearby that is recruiting and offering cool stuff, then let them. The more you stay out of cheer drama, the better. Not all gyms are going to be 100% ethical in their practices. But if a gym is shady enough to pull a lot of crap, they'll lose their athletes eventually.
There I fixed it for you :)

I just hate when things cannot be universal all across the board. Seems like the same rules should apply to every event, scoring, qualifications of athletes and judges, gyms, etc..... should be the same. I guess the rules are just too unspecific to dictate the sport.

If you are a gym owner then you know there are several gyms that don't bring all of their teams to NCA because, it doesn't work for them. My kids are at a larger gym so, it doesn't apply to us but, being that I have a business background, I also understand that a small gym in Timbuktu doesn't have the bills of a small gym in Chicago. If a gym based on those 75 athletes needs to create at least 5 teams to pay the bills, then they can't take all of their teams anywhere, and be competitive if we apply NCA rules to all competitions. And, it still isn't "apples to apples" if based on the scenario I gave, the gym creates a Sr. Level 2 team and takes them to NCA, when technically half of the team level is still level 3, 4, 5 and they register them now as level 2 athletes to make it work. I'm a huge fan of D2, it allows small gyms to make the decisions they need to pay the bills. Once they get large enough, by all means, I love NCA rules.
If it was the rule, gyms of all sizes would have to figure it out. Just like they're going to have to figure it out with minimum ages (should it pass). I'm sorry, but it would make the playing field much more level if USASF would adopt NCA's rules. People who want to cheat the system will always find a way. If that's the kind of gym you (general) want to be in, that's your choice. However, I'll take No Name All Stars with integrity and strong ethics over "Worlds Is the Only Thing That Matters All Stars" anyday. Guess it just comes down to what each individual deems a priority.

I just hate when things cannot be universal all across the board. Seems like the same rules should apply to every event, scoring, qualifications of athletes and judges, gyms, etc..... should be the same. I guess the rules are just too unspecific to dictate the sport.
And that last sentence sums it all up!!

I think it definitely helps. I know of several teams that our kids have competed against throughout the years that can't take all of their teams to NCA but, have swept all other competitions. Now, whether they are Shady Athletics or Necessity Athletics could be debated but, I know of two small gyms that are phenomenal at levels 2, 3, 4.2, and 4 but, only take 1 or 2 teams to NCA.

IMO, there are a variety of comps out there for a reason. Yes, there are most definitely Shady Athletics out there BUT, with that said, our EP's and small gyms are well aware if all comps were to fall under NCA rules we would be cutting the legs out from under hundreds of small gym owners. With that said,
Dear mid to large gyms that abuse the rules made to accommodate the small gyms,
We all know who you are and we all :rolleyes: at your banners.

I am a micro gym and could easily weather the storm. I can see how others who depend on crossovers and no minimum age would not. However, life is all about survival of the fittest.

Back