High School Falling Out Of Lib

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Too many coaches do not want to take the time to build their athletes' confidence by allowing them to celebrate small victories. It takes longer to take baby steps, but the long term rewards are worth a ton more than the short term benefits of motivation by fear.
YUP. Note to coaches, HOW you coach can literally change your athletes' skills in an instant. My absolute favorite coach was able to pull elite level flying skills out of me, simply because he believed in me and coached me as such. My least favorite coach caused me to lose all of said elite level flying skills the following year, probably because she constantly belittled me, yelled at me, and embarrassed me in front of the team. Your attitude determines THEIR aptitude.

To be fair, negative reinforcement is proven to be far more effective for sparking initial habit change. It must be announced beforehand that a consequence will happen, and not happen as a result of someone's actions, though. Being proactive and not reactive is the key.

For example:
At the start of class, I tell students they'll get a detention if I see their cell phone. Once I see a cell phone, they get a detention. This will break the habit.
vs.
A student takes out their phone in class and without warning I give them a detention. This will breed resentment.

However, continual negative reinforcement is never good, and will only be more detrimental in the long run. Keep in mind that nothing works for everyone, though, and depending on demographics the above facts may change drastically.

Sources Cited: Five billion teacher conferences that I've been forced to attend blegh.
what about smoed. they make their eathltes condition when things are done gwron

what about smoed. they make their eathltes condition when things are done gwron
By contrast, CSP doesn't like to use conditioning as punisment. Different approaches for different coaches.

And I think XtremeWpg's point in mentioning communism was the use of equal punishment for everyone, even if not everyone carried out an action that would lead to that punishment (e.g. 4 out of 5 stunt groups hit a partner stunt sequence, so everyone has to condition even though the actions of only one group would warrant such punishment. Either that or she is trying to explain that that method of motivation (if we can call it that) may work for a few teams, some of which are high-profile, but it won't necessarily work for everyone else.

this isnt communism its a cheer team

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. It's an analogy.

By contrast, CSP doesn't like to use conditioning as punisment. Different approaches for different coaches.

And I think XtremeWpg's point in mentioning communism was the use of equal punishment for everyone, even if not everyone carried out an action that would lead to that punishment (e.g. 4 out of 5 stunt groups hit a partner stunt sequence, so everyone has to condition even though the actions of only one group would warrant such punishment. Either that or she is trying to explain that that method of motivation (if we can call it that) may work for a few teams, some of which are high-profile, but it won't necessarily work for everyone else.

Both of those things actually. You can always find a case of something working where it generally doesn't or shouldn't.

The choice of punishment or correction is always to the discretion of the coach and the team. Each year I've coached, something that worked the year before, didn't work the year after, but then worked after another year.

Personally, I'd want conditioning to be seen as something beneficial to the athletes I coach, not a punishment. Conditioning makes them better athletes, so why would I use it in the negative?

The *only* time I use conditioning as a punishment is that in our program, if a flyer hits the ground even a little bit, everyone on the team does 10 push ups. This isn't because we think that push ups will stop them from dropping people, it's because it creates a very real reminder about safety and consequences. But having them do 20 minutes of man makers won't teach them anything but to be resentful of the group who made the error and "caused" the conditioning.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. It's an analogy.

Both of those things actually. You can always find a case of something working where it generally doesn't or shouldn't.

The choice of punishment or correction is always to the discretion of the coach and the team. Each year I've coached, something that worked the year before, didn't work the year after, but then worked after another year.

Personally, I'd want conditioning to be seen as something beneficial to the athletes I coach, not a punishment. Conditioning makes them better athletes, so why would I use it in the negative?

The *only* time I use conditioning as a punishment is that in our program, if a flyer hits the ground even a little bit, everyone on the team does 10 push ups. This isn't because we think that push ups will stop them from dropping people, it's because it creates a very real reminder about safety and consequences. But having them do 20 minutes of man makers won't teach them anything but to be resentful of the group who made the error and "caused" the conditioning.
im not saying it has to be the whole team. the idea was just something to be taken into consideration. you can take it how you want it was just my opinion

im not saying it has to be the whole team. the idea was just something to be taken into consideration. you can take it how you want it was just my opinion

I understand it was your opinion, I was offering up mine as a counterpoint. There isn't a right or wrong about using conditioning as a consequence, just whatever an individual has found effective for their athletes.

Keep in mind, if you offer an opinion on a public forum like this, you're likely to get someone who doesn't agree, it's what creates discussion :)

I understand it was your opinion, I was offering up mine as a counterpoint. There isn't a right or wrong about using conditioning as a consequence, just whatever an individual has found effective for their athletes.

Keep in mind, if you offer an opinion on a public forum like this, you're likely to get someone who doesn't agree, it's what creates discussion :)
i know im not triggered or anything. but people keep saying its horrible sooo.

One of my flyers keeps STEPPING out of her lib when she's in the air, forcing her to fall forward and land directly on the mat on her foot. I'm worried about a potential ankle injury. How do I teach a flyer not to do that.

PS: the bases are able to get the lib up there and hold it. It only falls when the flyer steps out.

She has to get more comfortable with simply being on one foot. I have some videos on drills to get more stability when on one leg. Check out www.thecheerdoc.com. Please let me know if I can help in any way!

Back