OT Flyer Size

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I haven't heard of any gyms that have flyer weight limits - I've heard rumors, but nothing real. I do know it's common in college. When CP was 12 :rolleyes: she was approached by some college kids at a competition wanting to recruit her. The pamphlet they gave her said flyers had to be 115 pounds or less.

That is not true...college gets a little iffy but for the most part any HS or all star team doesnt have weight limit. The coaches know who can fly and who can stay in the air. Those are the girls who fly.

It's gets iffy in college because most guys are LAZY.

<= Guy that ends up with the biggest flyers on the team because I'm not lazy.

It's gets iffy in college because most guys are LAZY.

<= Guy that ends up with the biggest flyers on the team because I'm not lazy.
Try being a small coed girl base...the guys get the tiny flyers. Also being a girl under a pyramid where you get the biggest mid because she knows how to grab the top girl right.

Try being a small coed girl base...the guys get the tiny flyers. Also being a girl under a pyramid where you get the biggest mid because she knows how to grab the top girl right.

It's because the older a guy gets, the more lazy they get. I hear you on the biggest mid. Story of my life! Last time I competed at UCA, I was underneath every single pyramid becuase I had the largest mid level. There was probably 5-6 pyramids and I had dislocated my shoulder about a week before, haha.

It's because the older a guy gets, the more lazy they get. I hear you on the biggest mid. Story of my life! Last time I competed at UCA, I was underneath every single pyramid becuase I had the largest mid level. There was probably 5-6 pyramids and I had dislocated my shoulder about a week before, haha.
Yea the worst is when the mid falls and takes your arm with you. Literally like pulling it backwards. That happened a few practices ago and I thought my shoulder was going to dislocate.

Yeah, we kind of have that problem. But out bottom bases are troopers and never complain! So proud of them. But we also use backs with our shoulder stands so we've never had any arm pulling problems...

My cp weights maybe 50lbs tops (I am sure she is way younger then you). One of the bases stated they like to base her because she is the smallest/lightest (Jr. team) out of the flyers on the squad. To be honest if I where a base the last person I would want to base is my over weight butt. I think if given a choice a base would rather have my maybe 50lbs daughter over my Lane Bryant size tush, regardless of how well I can hold myself/squeeze. I believe their is a secret/unspoken weight limit, like with models :) Really even if I said I could I don't think any base would want to give it a try :)

Being a flyer is a lot of pressure. My daughter loved cheer until she started flying.
I love flying but I hate the pressure that comes with it. As a flyer I feel like if the stunt falls you automatically get blamed. Not that I blame my bases for things, but if you're holding my foot at an awkward position that I can't stay up at and I get blamed for the fall, its quite frustrating.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I weigh 116 and my team has fetuses so I obviously don't fly anymore but I flew for a good 5-6 years before that. I have done a few partner stunts here in their just for fun and filled in a few times. And when I tried out for hellcats I was one of the smallest there but by then I had become a base. I ended up trying out as a flyer on bases i'd never met doing skills I hadn't in years! lol But you can be light and still not fly because of babies on your team.. hopefully next year when Im in collage i'll be flying again.

I think it's based off of your team. There's no set weight in allstar/HS (unless of course your coach makes one which would be extremely rude and unethical), but as mentioned before there are limits in college for SOME schools. My team has fetus flyers the average is about 100 lbs the heaviest is around 120-130 range (she's an average high schooler size, but very short &is a beast in the air). &height, our flyers are no taller than 5' 1". Although we are a senior team our average age is 13.5 and no one is over 5ft 6inches. I'm 5' 2" and one of the taller ones on the team. As for other teams I'm sure that they have bigger flyers, but hey if they can pull body lines and stay in the air who's to tell them they can't fly because their size. I really do feel if you have the skill to hit as any position you should remain there, even if you have a 500 lbs flyer but have beast bases so the stunt hits.

Back