Flyer Tips And Drills Coverting From Level 2 To 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2011
Anyone have any good exercises/drills or tips to help s younget group of flyers to stay tight and control. All very flexbile but have trouble keeping hips in or locking and standing up. They were om youth 2 last year and moved to jr 3 so totally diff world for them

If your gym has beams for gymnasts, have them stand up on those and pull body positions. Have them step onto something a couple of feet tall as if they're stepping into a single leg stunt and pull body positions. Put a thick mat on the trampoline and have them stand on the tramp and practice fulling down onto the mat. Have them stand on the edge of something and do calf raises. (Not only will this build muscle for flying, it will also help them punch through their toes in tumbling) I hope this all helps!

Straight-up extensions- Using a soup can, have your flyers work on there balance, by 'loading' onto it them pulling skills. One-legged extended stunts are really all about finding your core, and keeping everything still and hollow. Personally, I imagine having a rope going through the middle of my body, holding me up like a marianette while focusing on a spot on the wall, all to keep my balance while pulling skills.

There is also this awesome thread: Tips For Not Falling In One Legged Extension | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Also this, which I posted on another thread a little while ago. "Practice practice practice! Repetition is the name of the lib game. When I used to base, my flyer had this problem. Here are a couple of the things that helped her out.
Practice your libs on the ground; you can do straight floor, a can of tomato soup, stunt stand, etc. Pull a strong high V, locking your knee you to stabilize. Then pull your lib, preferably in front of a mirror, and adjust your stance as necessary. You can have a fab lib leg, but it won't matter if the stunt isn't stable. You can also practice load ins using a couch or anything else that allows you to step up, hit and come back down. At my gym we use a cheer mat, making our flyers hit positions there before they attempt it on the ground. It's extremely hard at first, especially if the mat is a soft one, but it really builds core and allows you to adjust to the feeling of being unstable.
Now for trying the stunt: In the air think of popping your opposite hip out a little (the straight one), almost like you're sitting in the air (except you're still straight, of course.) This should make your hips even out and stabilize the stunt. Also make sure that you're always sucking everything in, staying nice and hollow.
Another quick tip; make sure that your lib leg isn't pulled up too high. A lot of flyers think that it has to be perfectly level and then they often pull it even higher than that, thinking its where it should be.
Here's some threads about libs that might be helpful:
Extended 1-leg Stunts | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Liberties – How to be Solid | Cheerleading Daily"

Hope this helped! :)

Back