High School Foreign Exchange Student in North Virginia!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 9, 2020
So I’m going on an Exchange year, and I’ve got my placement! I’m going to Virginia.
I don’t know the name of the School yet, but I’d like all the info about Highschool cheer! I know that my school competes in Varsity and Jv.
Is there any specific requirements? And are the schools in VA very competetive? I’ve been doing cheer so I’ve got experience!
Also how much would it cost?
Thank you for taking your time and reading!

All of this totally depends on the school you attend. Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to give you even a general idea of what to expect until you know what district you'll be in or school you'll be at.

Silver lining, West Virginia is the only state in the country that competes on hard wood floors and Virginia is a normal state that competes on cheer mats and some of them go to nationals.

That said like the other poster said it’s all school dependent. You could have a National champion team school and a school that can barely hit extended libs in the same district. You make basically no money as a coach and it’s a HUGE time commitment so the people that do it do it as a passion project so some schools have tenured experienced coaches and some schools have a random mom that danced in highschool that volunteers because no one else wants to. It’s all hit or miss.

Silver lining, West Virginia is the only state in the country that competes on hard wood floors and Virginia is a normal state that competes on cheer mats and some of them go to nationals.

That said like the other poster said it’s all school dependent. You could have a National champion team school and a school that can barely hit extended libs in the same district. You make basically no money as a coach and it’s a HUGE time commitment so the people that do it do it as a passion project so some schools have tenured experienced coaches and some schools have a random mom that danced in highschool that volunteers because no one else wants to. It’s all hit or miss.
WV no longer competes on hardwood floors.

I grew up in Northern Virginia and did high school cheer. It has been about 15 years, but I am still familiar with a lot of the schools. There are a lot of very good, very competitive schools in the NoVa area. There are definitely some that are not as competitive though. When you find out your school let me know! I'm curious as to where you will be.

WV no longer competes on hardwood floors.
Really! That’s bittersweet. I always hated that they put those kids through that for no reason but as a spectator it was really interesting to watch. Do they do more standard cheer routines now or do they still do a million ticks in a row?

I grew up in Northern Virginia and did high school cheer. It has been about 15 years, but I am still familiar with a lot of the schools. There are a lot of very good, very competitive schools in the NoVa area. There are definitely some that are not as competitive though. When you find out your school let me know! I'm curious as to where you will be.
Yes! I'll update asap. Thank you so much! I hope they are Competetive, since why I'm doing my exchange is mostly because of trying Cheerleading abroad in the states! Since in Sweden it's not really the same thing!!

All of this totally depends on the school you attend. Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to give you even a general idea of what to expect until you know what district you'll be in or school you'll be at.
I only know I'll be going to a school in the Fairfax county area.

So NoVA. Cheerleading is generally pretty strong in that area, but it does still depend on the school, of course.
Yes I hope to be able to join the Varsity team! I do have a running layout and standing tuck and experience on a Senior 6 team, but you can never know certainly! :)

Really! That’s bittersweet. I always hated that they put those kids through that for no reason but as a spectator it was really interesting to watch. Do they do more standard cheer routines now or do they still do a million ticks in a row?
The tuck thing is still going strong! But I did see several squads doing gameday at UCA this year. Maybe they'll transition to a UCA style in the future if more teams compete.

Back