All-Star Foreign Teams At Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Needless to say, we can't forget that cheerleading (or sports in general) are organized completely different in other parts of the world.

The kids here in our club, pay 10 EURO a month (roughly $13-15) to be a part of the team. There are no tryouts, no minimun requirements.

Anyway, while kids can pay into hundreds of dollars a month for a cheer gym in the US, kids pay practically nothing here. Lots of stuff is financed through the club or outside sport funding etc. Part of it is actually cool, that this system exists. On the other side, I definitely miss having an amazing gym (that belongs to my team, and doesn't have to be shared with various other teams, etc.) with top equipment, a full spring floor, etc etc.
:eek::jawdrop:whaaaaaaaaat?!

Just a thought, I feel as though "WORLDS" is kind of innaccurate for the event. I am not saying it needs a new name, but a majority of the teams competing are not international, and are from the United States. I know there area small amount of international teams that do compete in the club divisions, but for the most part they compete in the international division. Right or wrong?

Back in 2004/2005 there were no international divisions yet the competition was considered Worlds. Did the international teams just compete in the divisions offered?

Isn't the " ICU Championship" more of a Worlds event since it groups teams up by country?

:eek::jawdrop:whaaaaaaaaat?!
Yup.
1. Gyms are property of the city...so no fees for that or bills to pay for.
2. Uniforms belong to the club - no need to pay for that.
3. There's no such things as team practice outfits. If someone organizes it, there MIGHT be a team shirt for competitions. (I make sure we have a new one each season :D)
etc etc.

Just a thought, I feel as though "WORLDS" is kind of innaccurate for the event. I am not saying it needs a new name, but a majority of the teams competing are not international, and are from the United States. I know there area small amount of international teams that do compete in the club divisions, but for the most part they compete in the international division. Right or wrong?

Back in 2004/2005 there were no international divisions yet the competition was considered Worlds. Did the international teams just compete in the divisions offered?

Isn't the " ICU Championship" more of a Worlds event since it groups teams up by country?

That is correct. The ICU Nations Championship is the official event where the teams from other countries compete - here you need to get a bid (the German teams get a bid from winning the ECC in Bottrop).

The USASF Worlds, isn't actually a worlds. I consider it more of a Nationals (even if there are a few international teams there) since you have to qualify by getting a bid.

I don't see that athletes should have to be at a certain level to experience going to a competition in the usa. e.g. a team from the UK have been going to the USA to compete at all different levels for a few years. Last season they decided to go to the USA (not sure which competition but it was in Orlando the week before worlds) and won a level 5 category ahead of 2 worlds bids winners from the USA. Had this team not learned from lower levels in the usa in the past-they would not have learned enough to win this division! Needless to say, due to the lack of companies giving out bids in the UK-they did not even get a bid for worlds last year-despite coming ahead of 2 worlds bids winners. Does this not contradict your point that they should be better to get a bid? They were/are one of the best teams in the uk, beat usa teams, but did not get a bid!
Maybe I just don't see it but I don't think it does. It actually somewhat supports my point. If a team from another country without a bid was able to beat the US teams that had bids, maybe those teams shouldn't be going to worlds. There are just too many bids in the United State and some teams that have no business at worlds are going.The point from my previous post was that worlds bids need to be more difficult to get in the US.
And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's a lack of talent in the UK or any country for that matter. There are definitely some good teams over there. What I'm saying is that in order to compete against teams from the US, teams from other countries should have to go to worlds. I think it makes national championships look less legit when you have teams from random countries competing. That makes it well, not nationals. If teams from other countries want to compete in the US, I just don't think it should be at nationals. Maybe I'm just taking the name too literally though.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's a lack of talent in the UK or any country for that matter. There are definitely some good teams over there. What I'm saying is that in order to compete against teams from the US, teams from other countries should have to go to worlds. I think it makes national championships look less legit when you have teams from random countries competing. That makes it well, not nationals. If teams from other countries want to compete in the US, I just don't think it should be at nationals. Maybe I'm just taking the name too literally though.

What makes national championships look less legit is the fact that there are 50+ of them and the fact that any US team can sign up for one. If you say that other countries should not be allowed to compete at nationals which competitions are you talking about? All 50+ "nationals" or only the big name ones?

What makes national championships look less legit is the fact that there are 50+ of them and the fact that any US team can sign up for one. If you say that other countries should not be allowed to compete at nationals which competitions are you talking about? All 50+ "nationals" or only the big name ones?
I totally agree. I think we need some sort of new system where you actually have to qualify for nationals and there is only one national. Foreign teams going probably isn't as big an issue but it was just a thought I had and I wanted to have a discussion.
I'm referring to anything called a "national championship". If there are teams from other countries, it shouldn't be called that. And while we're on that topic, you also shouldn't be able to call it that if there are only teams from one state.

I totally agree. I think we need some sort of new system where you actually have to qualify for nationals and there is only one national. Foreign teams going probably isn't as big an issue but it was just a thought I had and I wanted to have a discussion.
I'm referring to anything called a "national championship". If there are teams from other countries, it shouldn't be called that. And while we're on that topic, you also shouldn't be able to call it that if there are only teams from one state.

So Jamfest SuperNationals shouldn't be called Nationals because some a few Canadian teams are competeing?

I'm too lazy to read all the messages, might be saying something that's already been said.

I understand your point of view, but all international teams can't go to Worlds. What about international junior teams? I know there were teams from Sweden that went to NCA 2008 or if it was 2009. The swedish cheerleading federation were still members of IFC and not ICU, so we were not allowed to attend Worlds, but NCA was ok because it's not a World Championship. But since we switched to ICU there's definately more teams going to Worlds than other national competitions in the US!

The reason most other sports don't have international teams come compete at their events is because the majority of 'popular' sports in America (football, baseball, basketball) are American sports. The majority of internationally acclaimed sports weren't invented by us (although why do I keep thinking basketball was invented by Canadians? I have no idea)..so they have international teams who play them. Both hockey and baseball (As far as I recall) have Canadian teams involved in their leagues (Toronto for hockey, I can't remember if they have a baseball team in the MLB). People come here to play rugby and soccer..but american football and baseball? First one isn't even going to be in the Olympics, and the second got taken out because not enough teams play. Kinda like how Gaelic football and hurling are really only played by the Irish (although hurling is pretty intense lol).

The reason most other sports don't have international teams come compete at their events is because the majority of 'popular' sports in America (football, baseball, basketball) are American sports. The majority of internationally acclaimed sports weren't invented by us (although why do I keep thinking basketball was invented by Canadians? I have no idea)..so they have international teams who play them. Both hockey and baseball (As far as I recall) have Canadian teams involved in their leagues (Toronto for hockey, I can't remember if they have a baseball team in the MLB). People come here to play rugby and soccer..but american football and baseball? First one isn't even going to be in the Olympics, and the second got taken out because not enough teams play. Kinda like how Gaelic football and hurling are really only played by the Irish (although hurling is pretty intense lol).
The Toronto Bluejays are in the MLB.

According to this logic, any comp could just put "Nationals" in their name and turn an ordinary comp into something only for American teams. If an international team manages to raise the money and wants to enter one of your nationals, you should treat it as a privilege rather than something that might diminish the legitimacy of your "nationals". Of all the 78 nationals they could attend, each kid and their family saved up thousands of dollars (if they're from anywhere but Canada) so they could come and experience Cheersport, or NCA, or COA, something you all get to experience every season. Be thankful that you get that opportunity on your doorstep and welcome these kids with open arms. More often than not, they don't have proper facilities to train out of, they've never performed on a raised stage with lights, they might not have full team level skills, but they have the heart and the passion. One little Australian team got the opportunity to attend Duel in the Desert (and placed!) and it was the most inspiring and amazing thing in their entire little cheer lives. Then again, I guess Duel isn't a "nationals" so it's not an issue for them to attend that comp, right?

Long story short, not letting international teams enter US nationals isn't going to make the 50+ national events any more legitimate. It's the fact that any company can call themselves nationals that's diminishing their legitimacy. /endrant

Long story short, not letting international teams enter US nationals isn't going to make the 50+ national events any more legitimate. It's the fact that any company can call themselves nationals that's diminishing their legitimacy. /endrant
In a nutshell, yes.

According to this logic, any comp could just put "Nationals" in their name and turn an ordinary comp into something only for American teams. If an international team manages to raise the money and wants to enter one of your nationals, you should treat it as a privilege rather than something that might diminish the legitimacy of your "nationals". Of all the 78 nationals they could attend, each kid and their family saved up thousands of dollars (if they're from anywhere but Canada) so they could come and experience Cheersport, or NCA, or COA, something you all get to experience every season. Be thankful that you get that opportunity on your doorstep and welcome these kids with open arms. More often than not, they don't have proper facilities to train out of, they've never performed on a raised stage with lights, they might not have full team level skills, but they have the heart and the passion. One little Australian team got the opportunity to attend Duel in the Desert (and placed!) and it was the most inspiring and amazing thing in their entire little cheer lives. Then again, I guess Duel isn't a "nationals" so it's not an issue for them to attend that comp, right?

Very valid points for the most part. For the record though, what I bolded is completely putting words in my mouth. I want America to just have one true national championship. It will be years before I can see anything like this ever getting implemented though (if it ever even does). I am totally against people calling random competitions nationals but the sad part is, that's pretty much what happens already.

Back