Full Down Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My daughter has a nice basket toss, but can't do the full down. She is not even close to it. What things can she do at home to practice for it. She loves to fly, but if she doesn't start catching on she will not be able to continue flying. Please be specific. Thanks!

Also if it helps to ride the basket with her lrft arm and look yo her armpit it will automatically make her spin and she just has to be tight! Goodluck:)

No Problem! Message me if shes needs anything else, im happy to help:)

Thanks, she is going to try this at practice.
Do you know any drills or exercises she can practice at home to help with her muscle memory or help her to understand how this is suppose to feel? Thanks a ton!

Thanks, she is going to try this at practice.
Do you know any drills or exercises she can practice at home to help with her muscle memory or help her to understand how this is suppose to feel? Thanks a ton!
She can actually practice full downing on the trampoline or even a bed! And if she works on her core it will help to twist easy.

She is still struggling a lot. She seems to lose her body awareness when they toss her in the air. Are there some kids who can't catch on to full downs? Also, she is really hard on her self about this. I told her to try & relax, have fun, & focus on the things that are going good. Unfortunately, I don't think my words of support are helping.

Poor little one, I almost cried last year I was so frustrated and scared of fulldowns.

Things that helped me:
- ride the pop by taking a big breath - so her bases count 1 2 3 (down) 4 (up) 5 (BREATHE IN) and then tuck your head into the left collarbone (not too hard, she doesn't want to bruise her chin or her collarbone). Taking the breath should help her ride the pop, engage her core and hold her hips and shoulders square.
- dish shape, she wants to hit that hollow position so practice rocking back at forth holding the dish shape and also visualise hitting this in the full, you almost want to fold your body in half vertically so you keep everything in tight - toes together, arms together, I even pull my shoulders in together when I'm doubling.
- close your eyes, if I spot the ground I'll stop twisting, so I squeeze everything tight until I'm caught and stop spinning, open my eyes, and hope to see my pretty bases smiling down at me. Probably makes for terrible facials, but at least I get round!

And just keep hugging her and tell her not to panic. Easier said than done, but I hope she gets it soon. Maybe practicing with her bases outside normal training might help, even just a few minutes before or after, so the pressure is off. Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Poor little one, I almost cried last year I was so frustrated and scared of fulldowns.

Things that helped me:
- ride the pop by taking a big breath - so her bases count 1 2 3 (down) 4 (up) 5 (BREATHE IN) and then tuck your head into the left collarbone (not too hard, she doesn't want to bruise her chin or her collarbone). Taking the breath should help her ride the pop, engage her core and hold her hips and shoulders square.
- dish shape, she wants to hit that hollow position so practice rocking back at forth holding the dish shape and also visualise hitting this in the full, you almost want to fold your body in half vertically so you keep everything in tight - toes together, arms together, I even pull my shoulders in together when I'm doubling.
- close your eyes, if I spot the ground I'll stop twisting, so I squeeze everything tight until I'm caught and stop spinning, open my eyes, and hope to see my pretty bases smiling down at me. Probably makes for terrible facials, but at least I get round!

And just keep hugging her and tell her not to panic. Easier said than done, but I hope she gets it soon. Maybe practicing with her bases outside normal training might help, even just a few minutes before or after, so the pressure is off. Good luck!

Yes thank you for this. My cp is having trouble w her double down. She can do one twist but not 2?!

Have her bases practice barrel roles with her. Or even singles from a prep. That way she won't freak out because she already knows she can single.

ride the pop up then pocket quickly with the first arm followed by the second, hold the position until u complete the entire twist, then if u have time open up for the catch, if u dont have time, the hold the position until caught. remember to keep tight body and ankles together!!!

A drill that would help a lot is doing fulls on a trampoline and a crash mat. Place the mat on one half of the trampoline and have her bounce on the trampoline (to simulate the cradle) and practice riding up, and at the peak, bringing her shoulders and hips over to the back and slapping her hands to her thighs (the slap should be when she's facing directly back), and then finishing her full and landing on the mat in a cradle!

When I first started doing full downs I used to freak out and like hop out of my stunt group. Does she get scared when she tries to do one? If she does, tell her to just relax and look for her backspot when she twists. They were really scary for me at first, but now they're easy for me. Tell her to not give up! It's really frustrating to mess up over and over again, but she'll get it if she keeps practicing. :)

Back