Full Down Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I first started doing full downs I used to freak out and like hop out of my stunt group. Does she get scared when she tries to do one? If she does, tell her to just relax and look for her backspot when she twists. They were really scary for me at first, but now they're easy for me. Tell her to not give up! It's really frustrating to mess up over and over again, but she'll get it if she keeps practicing. :)

Thanks . And yes I do think she gets scared/nervous. It is ironic because she is not afraid to tumble or do regular stunts like positions or basket tosses.

she can stand on a frisbe on the carpet and practice spinning by hitting a high V and then twisting while trying to keep her body alligned. squeezing abs!

we get our flyers to make a dish shape on the floor like they are riding a basket then they pull their arms to make them "twist" (roll over) its important to make sure the body moves as one. not the hips pulling and the shoulders behind or vice versa. (we use a similar one for kick fulls)

I have problems doing full downs too! For some reason, I know exactly what to do but when I get in the air all of my knowledge leaves! I'm scared to death doing full downs because I have been dropped because I did it incorrectly. I don't lean back for some reason! When I'm in front of lots of people I usually do it good and surprise people but when I'm practicing it I just don't lean back for some reason! I try to focus on that but if I don't squeeze! Any tips? My coach tells me every time if I don't fix this problem that I'm no longer going to be able to fly! And I love flying!

I have problems doing full downs too! For some reason, I know exactly what to do but when I get in the air all of my knowledge leaves! I'm scared to death doing full downs because I have been dropped because I did it incorrectly. I don't lean back for some reason! When I'm in front of lots of people I usually do it good and surprise people but when I'm practicing it I just don't lean back for some reason! I try to focus on that but if I don't squeeze! Any tips? My coach tells me every time if I don't fix this problem that I'm no longer going to be able to fly! And I love flying!
Being dropped is hard to get over! I had a girl who fell and popped her elbow out doing a full down, had to get rushed to the emergency room etc. She is back learning them again now after rebuilding her confidence flying, I coach junior3 but I am on senior5 and in my team I'm probably the biggest backspot. She was the same as you and flys so tight until you tell her to full then its like her body freaks out in the air. So I backed for her and let her freak out as many times as it took and after a while she realised I wasn't going anywhere I'd catch her no matter what so she pulled it , and it was gorgeous! then I put her backspot in the stunt and I stood right in the corner of the stunt promising I'd still catch her no matter what... She flies it no problem now.
When you'd had a fall sometimes you just need someone who is like a security blanket to help you get over the initial fear then you will be fine!!!

I am so sorry. Your situation sounds so similar to my daughters. She is trying all of the tips above & also watching clips of full downs daily, & visualizing herself doing them correctly. I am not sure what is going to happen. If you find something that works for you please share. Best Wishes!

Now I have a new problem! When I have my normal base I always accidently kick her in the face, but when they put in a different girl, even girls that rarely base, my full downs are perfect!

If it only occurs with that base, is it possible your base needs to fix something that she is doing?

i agree with @Kris. if you are doing the exact same body positions (or trying to) regardless of who is basing you then i would guess its something to do with your normal base. Maybe try videoing it so you can watch what is actually happening?

Back