Full Up To Lib On Right Leg, Does Everyone Twist Right? Is It Posible To Twist Left?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2014
Hi,
We're having a discussion about twisting in stunts. We stand on right leg in stunts. When we do a full down from arabesque we twist left. When we do a kick full down we do a kick with right leg and twist left.

Doing a 180 up and twist left is no problem but how about 360 full up? Can you stand on your right leg and do a left twist?

If all twisting could be the same direction it would be easier I Think. But everyone seams to twist right in 360 full up if they stand on thair right leg. Why?

Thanks

I've only seen it done when the bases move under the stunt, but it's probably been done before without moving. I think really the only way to do it without the bases moving would be to spin with the left hand on the heel and most people are right handed so that makes it easier to use the right hand and twist right. Or if you twist to two legs and the side base does the twisting, but again that would be with the left hand. Idk, the grips just make sense to me to have it twist right and they don't make sense twisting left, but maybe that's just because that's how I've always done it.

Thanks for your answer.

So it's about two things. If we say that the main base is the one who does the twisting, you can twist right on your toes or left on your heel. In the first case in the base right arm and in the second case in the left arm of the base.

If we just think on the flyer. Is it easier to rotate on your toes than on your heel? Or is it about equally difficult?

For the base, is it something else than the strength that differ?

Thanks
Sten

Thanks for your answer.

So it's about two things. If we say that the main base is the one who does the twisting, you can twist right on your toes or left on your heel. In the first case in the base right arm and in the second case in the left arm of the base.

If we just think on the flyer. Is it easier to rotate on your toes than on your heel? Or is it about equally difficult?

For the base, is it something else than the strength that differ?

Thanks
Sten

Speaking as a flyer, it is way harder to stand on my heel in a stunt than it is for me to stand on my toe in a stunt. I imagine it is the same way for spinning. I don't think I would be able to full up, let alone one and a half up or double up, dumped on my heels.

Speaking as a flyer, it is way harder to stand on my heel in a stunt than it is for me to stand on my toe in a stunt. I imagine it is the same way for spinning. I don't think I would be able to full up, let alone one and a half up or double up, dumped on my heels.

Thank you very much. I'll skip that idea. No heel spinning.

The other solution was to have the side base do the twisting. What are the pros and cons with that?
How hard would it be for the side base to do it with her left arm?

Thanks again.
Sten

Thank you very much. I'll skip that idea. No heel spinning.

The other solution was to have the side base do the twisting. What are the pros and cons with that?
How hard would it be for the side base to do it with her left arm?

Thanks again.
Sten

We actually tried a 1/2 up grip for our youth two team last year that involved the secondary base doing the spinning. It worked fine as the top girls were on their opposite (left) leg, the secondary base had the main base grip and the main base had a secondary base grip. After they did the half up, they did a tick tock to their right leg and the bases switched their grip. It worked fine, but we are not using that grip again this year as it is easier for the kids to tick tick to the same grip.

I'm not sure how it would work for more advanced skills. Most people are right handed, which might be why we full up to the right (onto our main base). It is our dominant side, therefore it is stronger. I have no facts to back this up, just a thought.

What are you trying to achieve? Twisting left for full ups isn't really done because it's counter intuitive, but if you are trying to solve a problem, we may be able to help.

Back