All-Star General Legality Discussion: "the Grey Area"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with @gymd

I don't really understand what all the fuss about Brandon's stunt, it's extremely hard to hit granted, but less dangerous than a pike roll down in my opinion.

TG performed their skill great but it's one I don't feel comfortable with being legal tbh. The risk/reward ratio just doesn't work out for me. I really hope other less able teams dont perform it, and I would love to see a clarification that prone releases must be caught at waist level or higher. Im sure if les and the committee feels its an imminent safety hazard, there will be a mid season rules change (as is their right but rarely used). If we see other teams or even them dropping this stunt and it ends up badly, I'm sure it will be nixed, but I hope it doesn't happen like that.

I completely agree. I could see people calling it unsafe IF brandon or top gun had gone out on the mat with these stunts and they were falling all over the place..then you could call the stunt not safe/ scary/ whatever. Watch the athletes again.. the stunts hit, they maintain great control, && without struggle they move on to the next skill. Its clear they have worked these skills && have just as good control over these skills as they do with easier skills in the routine.

This is the evolution of our sport. Because things are getting more visual && complex don't turn them away. I applaud these programs b/c I am so sick of seeing every team having the same elite sequence just mixed around (being a variation of full ups, tic tocs, express ups, etc) . Thank you for your creativity! :)

In regard to the 18 inch rule (as someone stated above..) I feel like Brandon's stunt is just like Maddie's 360 ball up.. you do have to watch how hard you toss but i think the judges will classify it as legal.
Aren't these legalities in place not for when something is done RIGHT, it's for how easy it can go WRONG? Certain moves are taken/devalued from the gymnastics COP not because they can't be done, but because it was decided that the risk vs reward was too great to risk injury. I always thought the same thing applied here. It's not necessarily because teams like Brandon, TG, CEA etc can do them (although I'm VERY nervous about TG's, it looks so painful and easy to mess up), it's 'How bad is someone going to get hurt trying to copy this'..boundaries and laws are there for this reason, even the seemingly ridiculous ones.

Aren't these legalities in place not for when something is done RIGHT, it's for how easy it can go WRONG? Certain moves are taken/devalued from the gymnastics COP not because they can't be done, but because it was decided that the risk vs reward was too great to risk injury. I always thought the same thing applied here. It's not necessarily because teams like Brandon, TG, CEA etc can do them (although I'm VERY nervous about TG's, it looks so painful and easy to mess up), it's 'How bad is someone going to get hurt trying to copy this'..boundaries and laws are there for this reason, even the seemingly ridiculous ones.

To be fair, most moves were removed from the gymnastics COP only after a certain number of serious injuries (and unfortunately deaths) happened as a result of the move. Do I want to see this in cheer? No, because then everything would be illegal, but maybe even just discussion of these things is what it will take to make more.... safety oriented rules.

Back