College Getting Colleges Interested...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Dad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
Apologies if already posted and discussed...

my cp is in 9th grade and was told by an older girl at his gym that if he wants to cheer in college he should start thinking about what colleges he might be interested in and sending letters to the coaches asking for information on the schools and cheer program when he is in 10th grade. This is supposedly so the coaches know who he is and can follow his progress and such.

Questions are:
Does this sound correct to any of you?
Do college coaches really follow/track kids and even potentially 'scout' kids at competitions and such?

I go to the local competitions and visit the high schools and gyms in the area. I know other programs that are a whole lot bigger than mine do the same thing. If anyone shows interest I do keep their information so I can let them know about clinics and tryouts. If a 10th grader sends me a letter I will keep it for future reference, but I'm really focused on the seniors and juniors. It's kind of hard to follow progress in cheer, it's not like they get stats, but I do try to know who the underclassmen are and their skill level so I can contact them when they are older. I would say to definitely go to any clinics if your cp is eligible (some only want those that are trying out, juniors and seniors, etc.) Shoot off an email so the coach is aware of you and so you can obtain information about their program that might not be on the website. Save any other contact for when your cp is ready to narrow down the choices and start campus visits.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to start making a list of where he might be interested in going. When I was in HS I never sent any physical letters, but sent a few emails to coaches just to get my name out there. Looking back on it, a handwritten letter definitely would have been more unique and personal so it's not a bad idea! I don't know anything about scouting at competitions, but coaches would occasionally come to our allstar practices to watch. At the end they would give some info on their program and then talk individually with the people they were interested in seeing more from. It seemed like they would come twice a year, and yes they would remember and track kids skill progression.

Honestly, it isn't as competitive for boys as it is for girls (except at the really elite schools). At his age I would just be making a large list of schools he is possibly interested in and attending a few clinics or open gyms at the schools he likes best. It doesn't hurt to make contacts early and he will definitely learn more about the program and college the more time he spends there. It sounds like he has a great cheer dad so I'm sure you guys will get through everything just fine! Good luck!

As a coach I like email better. Letters are nice and personal, but emails are easier to file, easier to search, and easier to reinitiate contact. And I can't lose an email :) .

Thank you. Guess he should also keep in mind the difference between UCA and NCA. He is just getting into coed stunting but is a pretty strong tumbler so that would have a big impact.

The biggest thing is going to the clinics. Thats really how a coach can see progress in cheer anyway, and especially for a guy cheerleader you can take away so much just from one clinic and it will also provide him with an opportunity to make friends on the team. Although they may never be his teammates its great to have someone u can go and stay with when u visit the school or practice wit the team. Thats what really helped me when I was looking at SFA, I had made friends that allowed me to not just come down on the clinics but other times so I could really get a complete look at the school and team outside of the robotic settings that college clinics are in. At clinics you also get all the information needed about the program, and the coaches can get your personal contact information as well. I know my coach is only interested in Jrs and Srs, all they do for underage recruits is send them information on our performances and clinics.

Mightymouse34 Do you know of what colleges, preferrably in the northeastern us, have coed clinics? The only one I ever hear of is Maryland but that could also be the result of all-star cheer being a predominately female sport.

Mightymouse34 Do you know of what colleges, preferrably in the northeastern us, have coed clinics? The only one I ever hear of is Maryland but that could also be the result of all-star cheer being a predominately female sport.
Well Maryland is NCA Small coed (im not sure what your son is looking for Large or Small? and NCA or UCA). and there is Hofstra UCA small coed, Virginia Tech is NCA large coed, and North Carolina State University Large Coed NCA. I know some of those are really Northeast but there the closets i can think of off the top of my head. Those schools should all host clinics becasue they are all very competitive squads. I hope this helped? im not really familiar with the Northeast college cheer programs

He went to U of M a couple years back and aside from a couple of instructors was the ONLY boy there. The coach was awesome and let him use her private shower and such so he was not sharing with all the girls. Even had a private room. We are up in NY so those schools are a long days trip but considering the amount of travel we do now that is not too bad. Maybe a road trip to Louisville might even be in order. He is a fairly strong tumbler so would probably be looking for that in a program as well.

Just saw the program by state thread, guess will browse through those.

University of Delaware has clinics. They have one coming up in May. I went to play at the one last weekend and there were at least 5 boys there for the clinic plus the UD male cheerleaders.

As a former coach, its best to introduce yourself and get yourself out there to as many coaches want to and will look at you. Most college cheer coaches don't have hours on end to go recruit and meet kids, so when kids extend themselves out to a coach it makes all the difference!

Back