OT Grad School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 29, 2010
I didn't see something like this but I thought this might be a good place to discuss as I'm sure I'm not that only one on here with these questions.

I'm currently a junior in college and I'll be graduating in May 2016. I have plans to attend grad school in fall of 2016 providing that I get in. I currently don't have a lot of extra curriculars, just being a reporter for my school's newspaper, but I'm not even sure if extra curriculars are important for grad school. I guess I'm just looking for tips for applications/interviews, ways to get involved, what most grad schools are looking for in potential students, and what I should be looking for in a school. I have a while before I can even start applying but I just want to be prepared for when that time does come. Thanks guys

I didn't see something like this but I thought this might be a good place to discuss as I'm sure I'm not that only one on here with these questions.

I'm currently a junior in college and I'll be graduating in May 2016. I have plans to attend grad school in fall of 2016 providing that I get in. I currently don't have a lot of extra curriculars, just being a reporter for my school's newspaper, but I'm not even sure if extra curriculars are important for grad school. I guess I'm just looking for tips for applications/interviews, ways to get involved, what most grad schools are looking for in potential students, and what I should be looking for in a school. I have a while before I can even start applying but I just want to be prepared for when that time does come. Thanks guys
What kind of program are you looking at? Some require experience (volunteer or paid) in the field, while others probably don't. I didn't really have many extra-curriculars, just a member of one club, but I had to have 150+ hours of observation/experience. It most likely varies school to school as well.

What kind of program are you looking at? Some require experience (volunteer or paid) in the field, while others probably don't. I didn't really have many extra-curriculars, just a member of one club, but I had to have 150+ hours of observation/experience. It most likely varies school to school as well.

A counseling psychology program! For my undergrad we are required to have at least one internship before we graduate but hopefully I'll have two by the time I graduate if things go as planned!

Side note: I'm really interested in the counseling psychology program at the University of Kansas if anybody knows anything about that program that can't be found on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A counseling psychology program! For my undergrad we are required to have at least one internship before we graduate but hopefully I'll have two by the time I graduate if things go as planned!

Side note: I'm really interested in the counseling psychology program at the University of Kansas if anybody knows anything about that program that can't be found on their website.

I'm sure those internships will really help you. Do you have to take the GRE, or some other test? If so, I would take it early, like end of Junior year so you have time to take it again if needed. That was the most stressful part of the application process for me.
I'm probably not much help, I feel like applying to PT school is so different from other grad programs.

I'm sure those internships will really help you. Do you have to take the GRE, or some other test? If so, I would take it early, like end of Junior year so you have time to take it again if needed. That was the most stressful part of the application process for me.
I'm probably not much help, I feel like applying to PT school is so different from other grad programs.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate this! And as far as I'm aware most of the programs I've been looking at require the GRE since I haven't seen another test listed in the requirements. I know that the GRE is only effective at predicting the first semester grad school gpa, but do you know how heavily grad schools use it in making their decisions?

I've downloaded the study booklet and started going over it and it's all super overwhelming haha. I feel like I'm in high school all over again with all of this.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate this! And as far as I'm aware most of the programs I've been looking at require the GRE since I haven't seen another test listed in the requirements. I know that the GRE is only effective at predicting the first semester grad school gpa, but do you know how heavily grad schools use it in making their decisions?

I've downloaded the study booklet and started going over it and it's all super overwhelming haha. I feel like I'm in high school all over again with all of this.

For me, most schools had a minimum score requirement that you had to meet to be accepted, but beyond that it wasn't a huge factor. Letters of recommendation was a huge factor and same with amount/varying types of experience.

For me, most schools had a minimum score requirement that you had to meet to be accepted, but beyond that it wasn't a huge factor. Letters of recommendation was a huge factor and same with amount/varying types of experience.

Awesome, thank you so much! I already know who I'm going to ask for letters of recommendation from so hopefully I'll be ok!

For me I only had to have test scores (I took the MAT instead of the GRE), undergrad transcript and letters of recommendation

I blew the MAT, my test score was wayyyyy below the required. (I have terrible test taking anxiety and I always panic ). Anyway after I got my pathetic score, I walked over to the department where the program was, introduced myself to the admissions coordinator, told her I just failed the MAT and asked what to do and she was like "just wait and see or retake it"

Anyway I got in

I

For me I only had to have test scores (I took the MAT instead of the GRE), undergrad transcript and letters of recommendation

I blew the MAT, my test score was wayyyyy below the required. (I have terrible test taking anxiety and I always panic ). Anyway after I got my pathetic score, I walked over to the department where the program was, introduced myself to the admissions coordinator, told her I just failed the MAT and asked what to do and she was like "just wait and see or retake it"

Anyway I got in

I

This makes me feel a little better, I'm not very good at taking tests because I get really worked up when something important is on the line (such as grad school). I've gotten a lot better with tests since I started college, because I was disaster in high school, but they still make me nervous.

And I've heard from a lot of my friends that are in grad school that having good letters of rec is extremely important. And I hope they're right because I have great relationships with almost all my professors haha.

This makes me feel a little better, I'm not very good at taking tests because I get really worked up when something important is on the line (such as grad school). I've gotten a lot better with tests since I started college, because I was disaster in high school, but they still make me nervous.

And I've heard from a lot of my friends that are in grad school that having good letters of rec is extremely important. And I hope they're right because I have great relationships with almost all my professors haha.

I've talked to some of the admissions people in my program and they say the letters of rec are often the deciding factor in accepting someone. I'm sure some programs/schools are much more strict than others when it comes to numbers (scores, GPA, etc), but who you are really shows in the letters, and in the interviews.

We didn't have to take the GRE to get into my program, I have my Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. A big thing with my program was the group interview. I think they wanted to see how you interacted with other people, and how you may present yourself to clients.

Many people in my program (myself included) started as non-matriculating students, and then went through the admission process, which made it a little easier since we knew a professor or two, and we had an idea of what the program was like. Letters of recommendation where a big deciding factor as well.

You should contact someone within your program that you are interested in and talk to them about the admission process. You will probably get a great idea if they look at the test scores and whatever else.

Since I changed my mind about what I wanted to do with my life and career 14 times, I have a whole lot of experience in the applying to grad school area.

I absolutely bombed the GRE. They have changed the test since I took it, so I can't offer you specific advice to it - but majority of schools I looked at had a minimum score requirement. beyond that, it didn't matter much. It was more of a baseline to weed out a chunk of applicants. Most schools I applied to were heavy on letters of recommendation, undergrad transcripts, maybe an essay, and internship/volunteer positions and/or number of hours of observation in the field (depending on which school/program I was applying to.) a good number of schools specifically required letters from internship supervisors or professionals in the field of the program I was applying to. So, if you don't have those contacts yet, make them and get to know them so when the time comes they won't mind writing a letter. If you have a semester long internship now and it will end before you need to apply, ask for a letter of rec. before you leave while you are still fresh in their mind.

Network, visit schools if you can, and reach out to admissions for the program through e-mail or phone for information about the program. In just about all the schools I got into I became friends with the admissions counselor assigned to me. My "friendship" even got one school to pay for my flight and hotel to come for my interview. At my current school, my admissions counselor was vital in helping me get a lot of scholarships and every time I run in to him he still knows me by first and last name. so while making friends may not get you into the school, make those personal connections, it can never hurt!

Good Luck!! :)

I had to take the GRE, but I was already a quarter or more into my program. I didn't do well, but I didn't study and it didn't matter.

I graduated with something like a 3.9 GPA and passed my post-graduate certification exam.

Then, my non-cp became ill and I never went to work. A whole different topic…

I took the GRE twice. And bombed it twice. I am a horrible test taker. Great student, but give me a standardized, important test like that my brain just doesn't exist anymore. Luckily, the school I ended up going to didn't require the GRE!

I struggled with what exactly I wanted to study and where I wanted to go, so I ended up taking a year off after undergrad to really decide. Really glad I did that because I was able to a) fully decide, b) gain more field experience, and c) save some money! My undergrad also has an alumni career center which I visited frequently during this year for guidance, not sure if yours has something similar but I found my folks to be super helpful. Talk to your professors too, see what they recommend for you.

My undergrad mandates that every student must complete 3 internships, which was really helpful when applying to grad school. They were impressed at the amount of field experience I had, so if you can get that second internship I would.

Also, I don't know if it was like this for everyone, but for me grad school was more...self-taught if you will. Fewer lectures, a lot more reading for homework and class discussion. I liked that style, but not everyone does so I'd see if you can find out how their program is run to make sure it's something you can handle.

Good luck!

This is probably a really stupid question so bare with me. Are all grad schools very hard to get into? Like how some undergrad schools are fairly easy to get into and some are more difficult.. I'm on the fence about grad school right now, mainly because I don't think I'll stand a chance at getting in lol

Back