All-Star Gym Owners Refusing To Sign Release... Appeal Process?..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i agree there should be an appeal process or not even having to have a release form. My friend last year left her gym for very good reasons and joined another gym that needed an athlete because someone got hurt and was out for the rest of the season. Her old gym wouldnt release her so she couldnt go to worlds and they had no reason not to release her, they were just being drama queens. The best part is they had athletes they got mid season that if they got a bid to worlds they would of had to have them be release to. They were just being rude about the whole thing and kept a athlete from going to worlds which i think is just cruel.

I think the issue stems from what you believe is the intent of the rule. Is it to prevent kids from gym hopping period? Is it for those kids leaving without paying? Is it a contract that the gym provides a competitive level 5 team in return for staying the season? What you believe this form addresses can change how exemptions are addressed.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think the issue stems from what you believe is the intent of the rule. Is it to prevent kids from gym hopping period? Is it for those kids leaving without paying? Is it a contract that the gym provides a competitive level 5 team in return for staying the season? What you believe this form addresses can change how exemptions are addressed.

Issue is that there is no starting point to measure from. Why was this started? Again, I go back to does EVERY single person that could potentially be affected by this rule know all of the details? Should they, yes, do they, no. I am confused on where these athletes agree to these terms from the start?
It's unfortunate bc I have seen too many examples of coaches using this rule negatively. Unfortunate but it happens and there is NOTHING an athlete can do to get out of this release rule that many aren't educated on until its too late.

What I think is ridiculous about the rule is that even if you didn't compete on a Worlds team at the previous gym, you still have to be released. Cp is watching a friend go through this right now and it's heartbreaking.

I would contact your regional director of USASF and discuss the situation with them. From what I understand, an old gym cannot hold an athlete by not signing a release just because of 'spite'; there must be a legitimate reason why they refuse to release. Sometimes getting the regional director involved, and avoiding the feuding between the coaches and the athlete, a resolution can be reached, at least in the situations that I have seen- unless of course our regional director just has a way of working things out and getting the athletes released.

Is there any sort of appeal process regarding worlds athletes and gym owners refusing to sign releases? I am just curious because I have heard of a few instances of owners refusing to sign releases for uummmmm... Lets just say less than honorable reasons... For instance, if a gym closes, shouldn't the lev 5 athletes be released automatically? Or if a team that started as a lev 5, doesn't compete all year, then competes lev 4.. Shouldn't their releases be automatic? Or in that case not even required because they are no longer a worlds team? I feel awful for the athletes losing out on going to worlds because gym owners are being petty. I feel like this whole release thing needs some sort of appeal process to protect the ATHLETES from gym owners. If the GYM falls short on their promises, why should the athlete pay the price?

The highlighted situation above is happening at a local gym by us. I feel bad for the kid stuck....she's a great athlete.

I would contact your regional director of USASF and discuss the situation with them. From what I understand, an old gym cannot hold an athlete by not signing a release just because of 'spite'; there must be a legitimate reason why they refuse to release. Sometimes getting the regional director involved, and avoiding the feuding between the coaches and the athlete, a resolution can be reached, at least in the situations that I have seen- unless of course our regional director just has a way of working things out and getting the athletes released.
I believe you are wrong. There is NO appeals process because the USASF says it does not have the resources. So a gym can be spiteful and the athlete is screwed.

I believe you are wrong. There is NO appeals process because the USASF says it does not have the resources. So a gym can be spiteful and the athlete is screwed.
I didn't say that there was an appeal process, just a chance at a resolution if the regional director can help to resolve the issue.

I didn't say that there was an appeal process, just a chance at a resolution if the regional director can help to resolve the issue.
Sorry I misread your post. My point stands though which is if a gym owner wants to be spiteful and not change his mind the kid has no options.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing that can be done we went through this last yr. I contacted our USASF Rep for AZ and was told there was nothing that they could do there is no appeal process :(

I would think that this is something the PAC (Parent Advisory Committee) could maybe bring up. I do not have a full understanding of their role but I would think they would be a good starting point to protect the athletes side - but i can see both sides of this argument.
Personally I think if you commit to a gym for a season you commit that is part of being a team- that said if the gym closes or changes what you committed to (merger, massive changes to team you are on, a variety of things) then I think there should be some room for reasonability on both sides - but sometimes it feels like the voice of the athletes rights isn't always a main priority....

I would think that this is something the PAC (Parent Advisory Committee) could maybe bring up. I do not have a full understanding of their role but I would think they would be a good starting point to protect the athletes side - but i can see both sides of this argument.

I wanted to post the actual rule here so that everyone is on the same page.

UPDATED: All athletes participating on a team at The 2013 Worlds must be a registered member of that team’s gym during the 2012 – 2013 competition season. Any athlete that has competed on the floor with a team in any level from a gym (Primary Gym), during the Worlds competition season (November 1, 2012 – May 1, 2013), will have to have a USASF Gym Release Waiver signed by the owner of that gym (Primary Gym) before that athlete is eligible to compete with another gym (Secondary Gym) at The 2013 Cheerleading Worlds. The USASF Gym Release Waiver is located on the USASF.NET website.

Back