All-Star Gym Owners Refusing To Sign Release... Appeal Process?..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So who protects our kids?? Is it not a gym's responsibilty to explain such rules to parents. Here is why I ask....

My child is in this situation right now. Everything I am writing in this post is FACT...with documentation to back it up. My child left primary gym in November. They had competed in one competition. My child was unhappy and I had safety concerns. When we left I received a text that said "If you go to GYM X, then I will not release your child". At that time I had no idea what "being released" meant. I then received an email forwarded to me by the Gym Director of the Primary Gym from Glenda Broderick explaining the rule. I then called Ms Broderick and asked if I could appeal the "not releasing" my child. She said NO, there is no appeals process. I explained to her that we were never told the rule and she said that if I signed the USASF form then I should have known the rule. I follow the rules and I have been in this sport for a long time and I had no idea this rule existed. Another child left at the same time we did and she was never told the rule either. (She has also not been released)

When I signed the USASF form it was given to be by a team mom representing the gym. The team mom emailed me that this form was to verify the birth certificate. There is nothing on any form that I signed from the Primary gym explaining this rule. It was never explained to me by the gym owner or coaches.

I went to USASF hoping they would be able to step in and protect my child from this horrible situation. They misrepresented the rules and my child has to suffer.

I went to an attorney and was told, "You will win this case", but if they delay it then you will gain nothing if it is after Worlds. So, I waited hoping that the Primary Gym would do what was right and release my child. Today is March 18th and my child is still not released.

I ask you...who wins in this situtation? The Primary Gym has over 600 athletes. I am sure my one child will not hurt their business. This is a pay to play sport...if you are not giving my what I pay for then I have every right to leave. Our children are not property --- they are kids!! My child is heartbroken. The Primary Gym says they are in this sport for the children and their main goal is to teach morals and ethics...please tell me what is morally correct about this situation??

Again I ask....who protects our kids?????

So sorry to hear, that's awful! If my child was in this situation, I would still hire a lawyer and sue so that maybe this won't happen to another child.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Perhaps a nice friendly attorney letter would be in order.

It bothers me that USASF does not have a procedure in place for appeals of this sort. Dependent on the circumstances the response could end either way.

Question if a gym dropped a child (insert a multitude of reasons here) then could that child go to another gym without a signed release?

There is his side and her side and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Its sad for all sides. The gyms have to protect their business. There are gym hoppers out there that have jumped ship to go to a "better" team. There are coaches or owners that screw the kid. So who do you blame for this rule? You blame the few gym hoppers and the few bad coaches that have made it a difficult situation. Rules are made to protect as many people as possible.

So who protects our kids?? Is it not a gym's responsibilty to explain such rules to parents. Here is why I ask....

My child is in this situation right now. Everything I am writing in this post is FACT...with documentation to back it up. My child left primary gym in November. They had competed in one competition. My child was unhappy and I had safety concerns. When we left I received a text that said "If you go to GYM X, then I will not release your child". At that time I had no idea what "being released" meant. I then received an email forwarded to me by the Gym Director of the Primary Gym from Glenda Broderick explaining the rule. I then called Ms Broderick and asked if I could appeal the "not releasing" my child. She said NO, there is no appeals process. I explained to her that we were never told the rule and she said that if I signed the USASF form then I should have known the rule. I follow the rules and I have been in this sport for a long time and I had no idea this rule existed. Another child left at the same time we did and she was never told the rule either. (She has also not been released)

When I signed the USASF form it was given to be by a team mom representing the gym. The team mom emailed me that this form was to verify the birth certificate. There is nothing on any form that I signed from the Primary gym explaining this rule. It was never explained to me by the gym owner or coaches.

I went to USASF hoping they would be able to step in and protect my child from this horrible situation. They misrepresented the rules and my child has to suffer.

I went to an attorney and was told, "You will win this case", but if they delay it then you will gain nothing if it is after Worlds. So, I waited hoping that the Primary Gym would do what was right and release my child. Today is March 18th and my child is still not released.

I ask you...who wins in this situtation? The Primary Gym has over 600 athletes. I am sure my one child will not hurt their business. This is a pay to play sport...if you are not giving my what I pay for then I have every right to leave. Our children are not property --- they are kids!! My child is heartbroken. The Primary Gym says they are in this sport for the children and their main goal is to teach morals and ethics...please tell me what is morally correct about this situation??

Again I ask....who protects our kids?????
I have no idea what gym your child attends but I have the very specific understanding from what you've said here that if they told you, "if you go to gym X we won't release you" implies they WOULD release you to gym Y.

Bottom line for me... Your gym (for whatever reason) is scared of gym X.

Just my gut instinct.

And if your kid is already gone....since November....I would assume competing with a worlds team, what benefit is it to hold the release for your original gym? Shes already been replaced and I would assume you're not planning to return after the season ends so that gym has already lost her anyway. At this point it just comes across to me (as a disinterested third party) as spiteful.

And I'm a big believer in karma.

And as for what they say.... In my cheer mom career. I've been sold so much oceanfront property in Kansas that my water wings double as sandbags.

I don't listen to the sales pitch and I don't drink the kool aid anymore from anyone about any program because what you DO speaks volumes more than anything you can ever say. And I hate that. I'm a different person now that cares only about my kids success rather than being a program team player, and I owe 100% of my change in focus to being double talked for years because I wasn't respected enough to be told the truth.

I'm just curious but has anyone been released this season? It seems that this rule has backfired in that it is allowing very spiteful gym owners to take their anger out on children. I honestly have not heard or seen one instance where it's been used the way it was intended...keeping Worlds athletes from gym hopping.

Ive also had several parents tell me that their travel soccer and baseball has basically the same rule. Once a season starts, you can't go to another team.

I know in USA swimming & diving if we change organizations, there is a 90 day waiting period where you can not compete with your new club. You can still compete you just have to be listed as "unattached" and nothing you do benefits your new club.

Question if a gym dropped a child (insert a multitude of reasons here) then could that child go to another gym without a signed release?
No, the gym owner can kick the athlete out of their gym and still not sign a release for them. If I remember correctly, there was a gym last year that closed its doors during the season and the kids were not able to get a release. This is shameful. As I said before, I completely understand why the rule was put in place. But the wording of the rule is bad and needs to be changed.

So many different scenarios for this, in my opinion. Im going to be blunt about them.

*Does the athlete have a balance of $0.00 at Gym A?
*Did the athlete have bad behavior/attendance issues, etc. at Gym A?
*Did the athlete get recruited by Gym B to leave Gym A?
*Did the athlete (and the family) leave in a positive manner and avoid social media drama and 'gym bashing' while leaving?
*Did the athlete get removed from the team due to skill level?
*Was the athletes safety in jeopardy at Gym A?
*With most tryouts in May or earlier, what could you have possibly discovered AFTER November 1st (Approx. 6 Months at the Gym) that you couldn't wait until the end of the season (Approx. 6 Months at the Gym).

If an athlete has a balance of $0.00, There should not be an issue.

If I remove an athlete from my team due to behavioral issues, attendance, etc. I don't feel obligated to release an athlete to go to my competitor to compete. How is it fair to the 19 other kids on the team that you get to go to Worlds after you caused us so much grief, lack of being a team player, etc.? Call it 'Spite' if you want - Ill call it getting a dose of the real world and protecting my 19 other committed athletes that you let down. Actions have Consequences.

If I find out an athlete got recruited (and when I say find out, I mean cold, hard proof) kiss your release waiver GOODBYE. You might think the grass is greener on the other side, but thats probably only because they fertilize it with BULL$H!T!

If you are on Twitter, Facebook, Texting Other Parents, etc. causing a ruckus on your leave/dismissal, I don't feel obligated to do anything to help your kid out to Worlds with my competitor. If you feel the need to Bash My Program, My Athletes or any other nature.... again.... I don't need to do you any favors. Spite? Call it what you want.

If you get removed/replaced due to someone able to out skill you or your skills are lacking, I am sure you were forewarned, and if you weren't, your probably lacking common sense. Keep your Skills up. No spot should be 'given' - You're spot isn't safe until you hit the Worlds Floor.

If you feel your athlete's safety is in jeopardy, I feel this is one of the only reasons for USASF to step in and release your athlete. Was a coach inappropriate? Did you just get your tuck and you are now working fulls? Reasons for safety are ALWAYS in my opinion a reason for absolute release, however, proving that would cause a ruckus I am sure.

*Most people ignore signs of negativity or wrong doing, and i am just as guilty as the next. However, if you can't figure out shade in 6 months, you chose your own path.

MORAL OF THE STORY: I would find it REALLY COLD HEARTED of anyone who wouldn't release in this scenario, but #LesBeHonest, People have too much pride.

Just to set the tone: This meeting is one week before Jamfest Indy SuperNationals.

Athlete: Can My mom and I have a meeting with you after Practice today?
Coach: Yes
***Meeting***
Coach: Ms. Susie - Your daughter said you would like to have a chat
Mom: Yes, My Suzie and I have been very unhappy at the gym lately.
Coach: What makes you feel this way?
Mom: Well, The Coaches tend to sit and be on their phones during practice as opposed to instructing. Susie is having problems with one of the girls on the team. I do not like that my invoices are always wrong. We feel that Gym B down the street (that already has their bid) will offer a better environment as far as what we are looking for. We may take the season off, but I have to be honest, if a spot were to open up we would probably try it out there. I would like to have a release form signed by you.
Coach: I am sorry you feel that way. I agree that perhaps us sitting and being on our phones is perceived badly and i am sorry to hear about the bullying and errors with your account. Since we have Jamfest SuperNationals this weekend, and then a 4-week break before our next local event, I propose this. Please allow me two weeks to correct the problems you have proposed to me. Lets have another meeting two weeks from today to discuss. If you feel another gym is a better fit, I will absolutely give you a release form. Please know if it doesn't work out, our doors will always be open.
Mom: Thank you. We will absolutely not quit one week before a major competition. We would like to give you a chance to make it right. Thank you.
Coach: No, Thank you.

I really think if a parent came in to talk openly things could be avoided, however, every time I see a release situation.... Momma is hot.... and sometimes out of line and all over Social Media.

Last year, I was told from the USASF that if a Program drops a kid completely (not giving them an option to cheer) as opposed to "removing" them from Level 5 and putting them on "Level 4" - Then the athlete will be released from the USASF.

A gym I was not at last year had an athlete's mom calling the USASF saying she got kicked off, only for the gym to have proof of text messages and twitter comments of the athlete saying she quit. Since the gym had that proof, the athlete was NOT released. Had the gym not provided that, the USASF was going to step in and release the athlete.

I'm just curious but has anyone been released this season? It seems that this rule has backfired in that it is allowing very spiteful gym owners to take their anger out on children. I honestly have not heard or seen one instance where it's been used the way it was intended...keeping Worlds athletes from gym hopping.

The rule has not backfired, as it has done exactly what it was meant to do. Keep kids from leaving Gym A during the season to go and compete with Gym B's World's team, without the approval of Gym A.

I am sorry but this is not a new rule and has been in place for over a year. It only pertains to World Teams and there were a few Gyms that encouraged the behavior of jumping as well. And it has been discussed, digested and regurgitated for months here.

I can understand it being applied to an athlete that competed on Gym A's Large Senior all year and then decides to quit and join Gym B's Worlds team. Yes make them get released. But why not release a cheerleader that may have been on a restricted 5 or jr 5 team? That I don't get and will always chalk up to being a DB plain and simple. You obviously didn't think they were good enough for YOUR worlds team so now you will block them from going with anyone?
I hope gym owners know that when stuff like that gets out it greatly decreases the amount of people wanting to do business with you.

Ive also had several parents tell me that their travel soccer and baseball has basically the same rule. Once a season starts, you can't go to another team.

Soccer in this state has concrete rules on this. Once you start the season you are committed. The only way to switch clubs is a release and I personally don't know anyone that has gotten one. It's just not considered an option in soccer. You either finish the season and then try out for a new club or you just don't play.

There's also strict rules about recruiting but that's another thread.

Back