Happy Anniversary Cheermads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh

www.CHEERMaD.com
One thing that CHEERMaDs know how to do well is sit and wait. In the gym, in the hotel, in the airport, in the arena, in traffic, we sit and wait for our cheerleader to practice, perform, practice, get ready and practice some more.
Whether your athlete belongs to a big gym that routinely travels to Worlds or a smaller gym that builds its program from the corners of the county, CHEERMaDs are the same, supportive, sitters and waiters everywhere.
As I like to say: We aren’t on the mat with our children but in life we hold our flyers up high, backup our backs and provide a strong foundation for our bases. We don’t complain or interfere (most of the time) don’t embarrass our children in the gym or at competitions (hardly), but support the sport and our athletes with our resources.
But today, the waiting is over! Cheer moms and dads are the recipients of some very nice gifts in honor of CHEERMaD’s one year anniversary, thanks to Fancy Face Cosmetics, GK Elite, Spirit Celebration, Cheer for a Cause, Just Cheer Bows, Crystal Couture and CHEERMaD.com. Lists of gifts and recipients are on the “ANNIVERSARY GIFTS” page on this website (www.CHEERMaD.com).
When I launched CHEERMaD a year ago, I believed in my heart that cheer moms and dads deserved more. They deserve more than the gym owners gave them, many purposely avoiding eye contact with those of us sitting and waiting in the parents’ room. They deserve more than the event producers gave, herding parents into (and then out of) the VIP area where they could sit and wait for their child’s two-and-a-half-minutes to shine. And they certainly deserve more than the coaches gave them, believing that the only good cheer parent was a silent cheer parent.
Sometimes it can feel like the cheer mom is the ugly-step-mother of the spirit world.

Me with Shane Womack, Associate Publisher of Inside Cheerleading magazine and Melissa Hay, president, CheerXm1.com
As you may know, CHEERMaD launched June 19, 2011 with the goal of having 10,000 readers in its first year. That goal was surpassed in its first six weeks thanks to the support of so many in the spirit industry, including: King Harrison of Fierce Board, Shane Womack at Inside Cheerleading, Andre Carter at Spirit Post, Cindy Villareal of Cheer Channel, Sheila Noone of Varsity Spirit, Patrick Cowherd of The Cheerleading Agency and Melissa Hay at CheerXm1.com.
What’s more, because they were more than industry contacts but CHEERMaDs themselves, a few became friends like Kristina Parrish of It’s All About Cheer, Fernando Molina, my communications committee chair on the USASF’s Parent Action Committee and Julie Bolton of Cheer for a Cause.

Me with CFAC executive director Julie Bolton and Thuy Diep, CFAC Ambassador
You’re going to hear a lot more about CFAC’s 975 SAVES LIVES campaign in CHEERMaD’s second year.
During the last 356 days, I posted 188 Certifiably CHEERMaD blogs; on average, one story every two days. It hasn’t always been easy to do that in addition to keeping my household together, organizing the lives of three busy children, establishing a new business, in addition to all that sitting and waiting at the gym, arenas, airports, traffic and hotels.

Alton Skinner, professional trainer and strength coach and CHEERM
But for our second year, CHEERMaD is adding some pages that I think you’ll really enjoy.
As you click through the website at www.CHEERMaD.com in the coming days, you’ll notice some additions. Go Ask Alton will be a weekly post by professional trainor, strength coach and nutritionist Alton Skinner.
Alton not only conditioned North Carolina State University’s 1988 and 1992 National Champion cheerleaders and Kentucky Wildcats, his non-cheer clients include: Jeff Gordon, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, Greg Norman, Gary Player, Emily Wilson (Ms. North Carolina Teen)m Ashley Kaizen (Ms. North Carolina, Ms. United States) and Kristen Dalton (Ms. America). He has published two books, including “Winning Workouts for Competitive Cheerleaders.” But most importantly, Alton is a CHEERMaD.
Another new page that I believe will become a favorite is CHEERMaD’s Circle of Love, an online prayer circle where you can ask for prayer and offer prayers for others.
So on CHEERMaD’s first anniversary, it’s the cheer moms and dads who get the gifts in many forms, including this heartfelt Thank You card to her own CHEERMaD written by Nicole Khayat, CEO, of Fancy Face Cosmetics:

I want to first start out by thanking my CHEERMaD.
I can still vividly remember my first dance recital. I was five years old, standing on stage, dressed as a bumble bee, and more nervous than I can put into words. All I wanted to do was run off stage, crying out of fear, and then, the curtains open and I see my mom, of course front row and screaming louder than the whole arena combined, and my dad…”taking a power nap.” I see my mom nudge my dad (forcefully), and say “Anthony! Nicole is on!” and within seconds they were both on their feet cheering me on.
From that moment, I wasn’t scared anymore, I knew that no matter what happened, they were proud of me just for having the courage to stay on that stage. Now, even at 28 years old, every time I want to run away crying out of fear, I remember that moment and how my biggest cheerleaders, my CHEERMads, gave me the courage to stay on that stage.
To all CHEERMaDs, I know we do not tell you enough, but we appreciate you. It takes a very strong person to stand on that stage, and an even stronger person to support them, and for that, we thank you.
As a lifelong cheerleader, dancer, coach, and the owner of Fancy Face Cosmetics, I’d like to express my gratitude by giving 100 CHEERMaDs Fancy Face Cosmetics Gift Cards*, as well as a coupon code for every CHEERMad to receive 20% off of your purchases on www.shopfancyface.com for as long as you have someone on that terrifying stage.
Use coupon code: cheermad
Finally, thank you Lisa for giving CHEERMaDs a place to unite. Congratulations on an amazing first year, you deserve all the success in the world. Always remember, cheerleaders are not built, they’re born.
Love Always,
Nicole Khayat
Fancy Face Cosmetics, CEO
& Proud Daughter of a CHEERMaD​

*All CHEERMaD Anniversary Gifts listed on the ANNIVERSARY GIFTS page.

Back