High School Versus All Stars.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel that the respect depends on the team you are on. If you are on a respected High school competition team with qualified and experienced coaches you should get just as much respect as an allstar team. The problem is that some High School teams are coached by whoever happens to want to do it. Most of the time the state requires that the coach be some member of the staff or faculty. This sometimes results in less then qualified coaches for High School teams.

I think the two are totally different and so they can't really be compared. It depends on what the cheerleader wants, that will determine what is better for her/him. If they want to support a team, raise school spirit, etc then school cheer is for them, if they want to be the center of attention and entertain all star is for them. My daughter tried sideline cheer (not high school since she's only 8) and she hated it, she couldn't understand why people were watching the game and not her LOL. It also depends on what high school too. I've seen some amazing high school squads at competitions and feel they are equal to all stars in skill. However... our high school squad......not so much. They have 2 or 3 tumblers and are lucky to get a full up. In our high school it's more about being popular than being athletic. I have an older daughter who does not cheer and does not like cheer. She was a senior this past year and when she came home from the pep rally she said it was sad to see her 8yo sisters squad do more advanced skills then the varsity high school squad. Now like I said there are tons of great high school teams that can give any all star team a run for their money but there are more that are like the ones at our high school.

I honestly think that high school cheerleading and all stars cheerleading are both separate but equal cheer categories, however, many all star cheerleaders look down at high school cheerleaders and tell them that they aren't real cheerleaders.
High school cheerleading came before all stars, so I find this claim hard to believe, but I wanna know, what does everyone else think and why?

I have cheered for both & it really offends me when peopel say that high school cheerleading is "fake" cheerleading & every sucks. I personally dont like cheerleading for games, but my high school team competes in competitions, and we work just as hard as all the all star teams, we deserve to be considered equal to all star

I have done , coached, and judged All Star cheer and High School Cheer, it really isn't fair to compare them. Both do a lot of hard work and have great athletes, but it is like comparing Football and Rugby, although there are similarities there are also a ton of differences. Neither is better than another because they are 2 completely different things! I can tell you from a coaching stand point coaching high school is a lot harder than coaching all star, More hours, more drama, grades, etc etc. But that is just my opinion ;)

I honestly think that high school cheerleading and all stars cheerleading are both separate but equal cheer categories, however, many all star cheerleaders look down at high school cheerleaders and tell them that they aren't real cheerleaders.
High school cheerleading came before all stars, so I find this claim hard to believe, but I wanna know, what does everyone else think and why?

I personally know that in my high school the varsity team is like a very very very very very very very very bad pop warner team. I'm not saying it because I am an all star cheerleader, I'm saying it because its true. The coach is disorganized, and chooses her teams not by how well the girl is but her liking of her. No matter how goof you are it comes down to her opion about you. If I had a better coach then I would have a more positive idea of High School cheerleading. Some high school teams are as good as many all star teams and i give credit to them for being as good as they are. Although I feel All Star Cheerleaders are more deticated and determind.

All Stars frown upon High School Cheerleaders becuase of it reputation of being disorganized and simlar to "unprofesional" pop warner teams. Which is not true to all High School teams, but is found commonly. I'm sorry to all those high school cheerleaders who kick their butts to be the best. Its an imagine all stars have and will always have because of how competive the sport is.

i can understand to an extent why people would say that but i think it depends on the school but just because high school cheerleading isn't always as complex as all star doesn't mean its not cheerleading personally this year im cheering on both and i love it i love the aspect of having two family's and its two different worlds :]

Our local competitions feature both all stars and high school rolled into one (they don't compete with each other, but rather compete at the same competitions). There are some very talented high school squads in the area, some even having full squad back handsprings, difficult stunting and pyramid transitions. If the some of these very talented high school squads had to compete against some of our local all star squads, some of the high school squads could beat some of the level 2 and 3 all star squads hands down. Stereotyping high school squads as lacking athletic ability is pretty misinformed and in my experience, pretty inaccurate. I will say that some of the better squads in my local area come from cities that are known to have money, but I cannot say for certain that just because they have money, they have a better squad. That's also pretty stereotypical of me to say, but coincidentially happens to be true.

Back