High School High School Vs All Star

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 4, 2011
I wanted to see what others thought about this topic. Most of the discussions on this are in the Newbie threads and I figured some people don't check there reguarly.

I personally think it all depends, but what are your opinions on it? Which do you think is "better"? What about some of ya'll that do both? I've a couple of times that all star cheerleaders find high school cheer just as hard. I think if you're in an area with a ton of all star gyms, that influences high schools to do more advanced stunts and have more tumbling requirements, etc.

In my area anyways, All Star cheer is A LOT harder.
I've done and loved both but they're just very different.
High school cheer was more laid back and fun, spirited. I loved it because I had a lot of school spirit, we had good sports teams, and I liked to spend time with my friends.
All star is fun too, but its a more serious type of fun. A lot more work!

I think the reason all-star is so much more difficult/serious in my area is that we aren't allowed to do both at the same time (though I broke that rule ;)) and to be honest, what serious all-star cheerleader would choose high school over it?!

I think they both are challenging in their own ways
For me being an allstar and highschool cheerleader you get to see how different they are
Allstar cheerleading has always been the most physically and mentally challenging
buuut, i always thought highschool cheerleading was easy but was very wrong
highschool cheerleaders don't just commit to their team but they also have obligations to support other teams
they work hard on dead floors and go to competitions against some super good schools
so i personally think allstar cheer is much more challenging but i think that highschool cheer should be respected
because they also work really hard!

One girl on my team that did both all star and high school said that our high school routine was harder because she had more time to breathe during her all star team during individual tumbling passes and stuff. And I think high school is harder because not only do we have competitions, tumbling and practice but we have football & basketball games, making signs & locker decorations, fundraisers and pep rallys.

In my area anyways, All Star cheer is A LOT harder.
I've done and loved both but they're just very different.
High school cheer was more laid back and fun, spirited. I loved it because I had a lot of school spirit, we had good sports teams, and I liked to spend time with my friends.
All star is fun too, but its a more serious type of fun. A lot more work!

I think the reason all-star is so much more difficult/serious in my area is that we aren't allowed to do both at the same time (though I broke that rule ;)) and to be honest, what serious all-star cheerleader would choose high school over it?!
The serious athletes that can't afford it :)

One girl on my team that did both all star and high school said that our high school routine was harder because she had more time to breathe during her all star team during individual tumbling passes and stuff. And I think high school is harder because not only do we have competitions, tumbling and practice but we have football & basketball games, making signs & locker decorations, fundraisers and pep rallys.

I agree with that! We don't get the advantage of a spring floor. I know some competitions have them, but I've never competed on one. We also have so many different things on our agenda. I guess that made me think of this, but our team had to miss some basketball games because football was still happening and if that ever happens we take priority to it over basketball (don't know why though). Anyways, whenever the cheerleaders aren't there everyone complains, but when we are people barely participate? Just a little pet peeve I thought I'd voice haha!

Also, many serious athletes do participate in high school and not all star. One example, my best friend :D
But on a more serious not, out of all of the great college cheerleaders I know, only one was an all star cheerleader. She's very talented, but when you watch her it's just not the same as some of the others. High school cheerleaders have game experiences under their belt. It's probably hard to go from just 2:30 to a day full of events then a 4-5 hour game.
Of course, I think both are very hard and actually pretty different in many aspects.

I think they are very very different. Personally I think the daily commitment is more for HS between games/practice/competition but the overall time w/ most all-star is more as the majority of your competitions seem to be 2 day, you have to travel, etc.

I think that both are about the same, but high school cheer is just allstar with sideline stringed to it, at least at my school. We take ourselves about as serious as you can get. We're *going* to be going to alot of comps this year and plus we have football and basketball games to go too. People might think thats stupid, but games are like practices to us! :)

I think it really honestly depends what high school you go to and where you live. I did high school cheer for almost two years and my school has placed in the top two for small division 1 for the past 6 years at least but compared to my allstar team it was nothing since only two people on the team even had a backhandspring. Sun Prairie High School is just ten minutes away though and they have an amazing large coed team. In my personal experience, allstar was more challenging but as was mentioned earlier, high school was more of a commitment. I do believe depending on the school though that high school can be more challenging than allstar it is hard to compare though due to the whole actual cheering and spring floor differences.

I think it really honestly depends what high school you go to and where you live. I did high school cheer for almost two years and my school has placed in the top two for small division 1 for the past 6 years at least but compared to my allstar team it was nothing since only two people on the team even had a backhandspring. Sun Prairie High School is just ten minutes away though and they have an amazing large coed team. In my personal experience, allstar was more challenging but as was mentioned earlier, high school was more of a commitment. I do believe depending on the school though that high school can be more challenging than allstar it is hard to compare though due to the whole actual cheering and spring floor differences.
Love Sun Prairie, national champs!! You live in Wisconsin too?

I think that both are about the same, but high school cheer is just allstar with sideline stringed to it, at least at my school. We take ourselves about as serious as you can get. We're *going* to be going to alot of comps this year and plus we have football and basketball games to go too. People might think thats stupid, but games are like practices to us! :)

I wouldn't say games are practice, it's experience. (And the rest of this isn't directed at you, just me ranting.) People may not agree with me on this, but if you do high school cheerleading then being able to go to competitions are privileges. You're expected to support your team first and foremost, that's why you're on the team. Basketball players don't treat games like practices. Yes, you should try your best during both, but it's a different atmosphere. I think if you're on the sidelines you owe both programs your respect and should be an athlete.

I dont think you can compare them both. They are both hard in their own respectful ways. There are some amazing HS cheerleaders who never get the chance to experience the all star mat and vice versa. Its like saying which is better college cheer, NCA or UCA? They are both very different and each have their strengths. Its all based on perception. I recruit both All star and HS kids. The one thing that both require is dedication and hard work, if you are not dedicated to your team its hard to succeed. Great post and awesome responses!

Back