All-Star How Can It Be Considered A "states" Competition??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think anyone is denying they have the right of refusal. The original question though was, if they do refuse programs, do they still have a State championship on their hands, or would it be like holding the ACC basketball tournament but telling Duke or Carolina they couldn't come? Not a perfect analogy, I know, but I believe it to be in the spirit of the original question.

Edited to correct spelling**

Agree. This kind of practice might be perfectly legal, but certainly wouldn't lend credibility to any event.

I don't think anyone is denying they have the right of refusal. The original question though was, if they do refuse programs, do they still have a State championship on their hands, or would it be like holding the ACC basketball tournament but telling Duke or Carolina they couldn't come? Not a perfect analogy, I know, but I believe it to be in the spirit of the original question.

Edited to correct spelling**
1) I don't think the name of the competition has much weight anyway...there is another EP that has a "NC State" Championship in February (Champion cup in Greensboro) and I think we've all seen billy bobs backyard national championship that involves basically no one outside of their region, let alone nationally, yet they still wear jackets and win banners.

2) I'm all about evicting Carolina from the ACC tournament :D

Go Pack!

1) I don't think the name of the competition has much weight anyway...there is another EP that has a "NC State" Championship in February (Champion cup in Greensboro) and I think we've all seen billy bobs backyard national championship that involves basically no one outside of their region, let alone nationally, yet they still wear jackets and win banners.

2) I'm all about evicting Carolina from the ACC tournament :D

Go Pack!

LOL. Them's fighting words! But this Carolina girl married a State guy so.... :)

K so NC cheer is losing it, GA cheer has apparently already lost it, and us here in SC and just chillin in the middle like
tumblr_m826r8OPkS1qbuoyeo1_500.gif

I remember when NJ was cheer crazy...those were the not so good ole days :rolleyes:
Really, I lived in NJ for 3 Magical years from 99-02, and although I miss my peeps from there:), and I do!!!! But I did witness some Crazyness while there...:) But I think this is Everywhere!!!!! anywhere you have kids, and Parents, Coaches, owners, etc....Come on, it's everywhere!!!:):fro:

We haven't been to States in 7 years because we have always went to All Star Challenge. CEA Charlotte is home to 120 former Charlotte AS kids this season, the other gyms in NC would prefer for us not to be there (States) because they are intimidated. All 26 coaches, 9 locations and 1000 kids are not evil and did not deserve this. We have wanted to attend in 7 years because we have been elsewhere......The only reason we were making a return is because we can't travel this weekend due to high school states being on Saturday!!!
We are a NC gym and not intimidated in the least!!! Bring it on!! We welcome the competition!!! It only makes our kids work harder if you beat us!!! We have beaten your teams many times, our small coed 5 beat yours at Battle at the Beach!!!! The whole state of NC is not scared of CEA, and I don't feel you should blast all NC teams like that!!! I don't feel your owners would like some of the comments made either because some rivalries are good!! I am sorry you were asked not to attend the competition, but don't get it twisted and blame other gyms..... we like competition, that is why we do this!!!

Southern Illinois is quiet. :D Drama in this area is a PBS Saturday Afternoon Kids Special compared to what happens elsewhere. It is Northern Illinois that you always here about the crazy cheer drama situations. If there is one thing I know about cheer drama in NC is that the stuff (both truth and rumors) that does not make the social media of what goes on would truly make your head explode.

Drama and rumor aside, any business can refuse to serve a customer, if they feel it is in their better interests not to do so. Public opinion may or may not matter in those cases, especially if they feel they will gain more in the long run by their decision. As long as their refusal of service does not break local, state or federal laws, then they have that right. Since the actual competition had not occurred as of yet they had the right to say thanks, but no thanks. As to the exact letter of their reasoning it is completely between them and CSP. Everything else is conjecture, even if it is based on an aspect of truth.

Best post in this thread.

We are a NC gym and not intimidated in the least!!! Bring it on!! We welcome the competition!!! It only makes our kids work harder if you beat us!!! We have beaten your teams many times, our small coed 5 beat yours at Battle at the Beach!!!! The whole state of NC is not scared of CEA, and I don't feel you should blast all NC teams like that!!! I don't feel your owners would like some of the comments made either because some rivalries are good!! I am sorry you were asked not to attend the competition, but don't get it twisted and blame other gyms..... we like competition, that is why we do this!!!
I dont think she is blasting every single gym in NC. That is what she was told was that a couple of gyms(not all) refused to compete at states if CEA was there. Sounds like intimidation to me!

I dont think she is blasting every single gym in NC. That is what she was told was that a couple of gyms(not all) refused to compete at states if CEA was there. Sounds like intimidation to me!
I think NC is like every other state in this aspect. You've got CEA and Charlotte (and probably a few others...don't get mad if i left you out) that are elite gyms with several others snapping right on their heels, some gyms maybe just a tier behind that that are good quality programs but tend to be less competitive against the elite gyms and then a whole bunch of other programs that tend to stick to smaller competitions where the larger gyms don't attend and do very well there.

Basically, there's a program for everyone in the state (and in your area really). I totally believe some of the small programs that tend to stay with the small events would not want to compete against the elite programs. It's not their niche and that's not their clientele. I also totally believe there are programs right on the verge of being elite programs are contenders and have swapped wins with the elite gyms on multiple occasions. They, on the other hand, want to compete against the top teams because on any given Saturday/Sunday...they might just beat one of them....or not....but either way it s good competition.

I think intimidation might be the wrong word to use. The competitive gyms are definitely not intimidated, they want the competition. I don't know that the small gyms are intimidated more so than they just know they're not capable of competing at that level, so why put their kids and parents through something that will likely end up with a poor experience?

I don't call that intimidating, I think it's just good business sense for the smaller programs that cater to a different Allstar athlete.

I think NC is like every other state in this aspect. You've got CEA and Charlotte (and probably a few others...don't get mad if i left you out) that are elite gyms with several others snapping right on their heels, some gyms maybe just a tier behind that that are good quality programs but tend to be less competitive against the elite gyms and then a whole bunch of other programs that tend to stick to smaller competitions where the larger gyms don't attend and do very well there.

Basically, there's a program for everyone in the state (and in your area really). I totally believe some of the small programs that tend to stay with the small events would not want to compete against the elite programs. It's not their niche and that's not their clientele. I also totally believe there are programs right on the verge of being elite programs are contenders and have swapped wins with the elite gyms on multiple occasions. They, on the other hand, want to compete against the top teams because on any given Saturday/Sunday...they might just beat one of them....or not....but either way it s good competition.

I think intimidation might be the wrong word to use. The competitive gyms are definitely not intimidated, they want the competition. I don't know that the small gyms are intimidated more so than they just know they're not capable of competing at that level, so why put their kids and parents through something that will likely end up with a poor experience?

I don't call that intimidating, I think it's just good business sense for the smaller programs that cater to a different Allstar athlete.
I think sometimes it can be a variety of the things you've said, AS WELL AS the whole 'Not wanting to go against bigger gyms' thing. It can be cost, it can be competing against teams you're not really ready to face yet (not wanting to scare off clients).

For example: I'm not going to try to compete against, say, Emma Stone for an Oscar. I'm not that talented yet, and I know my limits. It won't stop me from going to class and working hard, nor will I allow myself to say that I'm the best actress ever in the history of life.

I think sometimes it can be a variety of the things you've said, AS WELL AS the whole 'Not wanting to go against bigger gyms' thing. It can be cost, it can be competing against teams you're not really ready to face yet (not wanting to scare off clients).

For example: I'm not going to try to compete against, say, Emma Stone for an Oscar. I'm not that talented yet, and I know my limits. It won't stop me from going to class and working hard, nor will I allow myself to say that I'm the best actress ever in the history of life.

Exactly! It's not bad business if the objective of this EP is to provide a good competition experience to some "division 2" teams (to use an NCAA analogy.). Nothing wrong with a gym wanting to not compete against CEA.

And the naming of events is consistently inconsistent across the board. I never take into consideration if it is a "state" or "national" competition because I know those designations are rarely accurate.

And I'll also add, if its newbie cheer clientele the small, non competitive gyms may not want to introduce their clients to Elite programs. We started our cheer career with the janktastic Allstars and thought we were the %#*! Because we didn't know elite gyms existed...we'd never seen one. We won all the backyard competitions and id never even heard of cheersport nationals (only a quick 4 hr drive) and we thought we "knew" cheer. We traveled to augusta georgia to compete...in a high school gym. I remember seeing a team from CEA kernersville once or twice and knew if they were there the best we'd do is second place. I saw Charlotte once in three years but they were not in our division so it didn't register.

It may behoove those gyms to keep parents like us uneducated...because as soon as we saw what it could be and had the wake up call that we were nothing more than a stout rec program....we left...and so did approximately 75% of that gym when the new one (promising and delivering a team that could compete with the elite gyms) opened up about 20 minutes away.

Back