All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let me be the first to tell you that Sallie Mae does not show up like "oh well, you owe $65,000 and have no job prospects but you got 3 NCA jackets from your dream cheer school so we'll call it even."

Sallie wants her money.
I always get mad because Sallie and I share a middle name, and Sallie's a big old jerk.

My bigger problem is actually the government and how they handle loans, but that's a WHOLE separate thread.

I think this is a tricky situation in general. I have done both allstar and high school before college. I gravitated towards allstar and high school was just the "potatoes" to the "meat". ;) Allstar was my life, and high school game day style was not. I found that the allstar look... ahem fierce and glitz... was more my style. Now, I have level 5 skills, and was planning on trying out for a D1 school, but they were extremely traditional (UCA all the way.) I knew I was not going to be happy there because of the "look" and game day focus, so I opted out of a D1 school. I now cheer for a D3 school that is totally non-traditional. I consider myself lucky, just because the focus of this school is to compete. Games are a side for us. (they are required for us to get some $ from the school, but its like a practice to us.) Are there days that I wish I could have done D1? Yes. Would I have been happier? No. Like I said, the spirit poof and glitz is my thing! ;) I fully admit that while I have experience in game day, I just don't like it.

Now, I came from an all girl environment. My team in college is coed style. I find that even though I do partner stunt, I just am not as passionate about it. I definitely try my hardest and practice, but my heart still loves me some good quad stunting. Ultimately, I am happy where I am, and ideally would like to try to do an open team after college.

So, I guess my advice is to pick where you will be happiest. I could have had a shot at a D1 experience, but felt that I would not enjoy it as much. Now, going into my junior year of college, I know I made the best decision for me! I love my school, have made great friends, love my major, and have the opportunity to compete "allstar style" for about 8 comps a year.

My advice Do what is best for you! Don't sacrifice what you love to do! And, ultimately, make academics your number one priority! (Thats my two-cents anyway!)

I think this is a tricky situation in general. I have done both allstar and high school before college. I gravitated towards allstar and high school was just the "potatoes" to the "meat". ;) Allstar was my life, and high school game day style was not. I found that the allstar look... ahem fierce and glitz... was more my style. Now, I have level 5 skills, and was planning on trying out for a D1 school, but they were extremely traditional (UCA all the way.) I knew I was not going to be happy there because of the "look" and game day focus, so I opted out of a D1 school. I now cheer for a D3 school that is totally non-traditional. I consider myself lucky, just because the focus of this school is to compete. Games are a side for us. (they are required for us to get some $ from the school, but its like a practice to us.) Are there days that I wish I could have done D1? Yes. Would I have been happier? No. Like I said, the spirit poof and glitz is my thing! ;) I fully admit that while I have experience in game day, I just don't like it.

Now, I came from an all girl environment. My team in college is coed style. I find that even though I do partner stunt, I just am not as passionate about it. I definitely try my hardest and practice, but my heart still loves me some good quad stunting. Ultimately, I am happy where I am, and ideally would like to try to do an open team after college.

So, I guess my advice is to pick where you will be happiest. I could have had a shot at a D1 experience, but felt that I would not enjoy it as much. Now, going into my junior year of college, I know I made the best decision for me! I love my school, have made great friends, love my major, and have the opportunity to compete "allstar style" for about 8 comps a year.

My advice Do what is best for you! Don't sacrifice what you love to do! And, ultimately, make academics your number one priority! (Thats my two-cents anyway!)
If you are comfortable sharing what College are you at?

University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. It is a beautiful campus- but reallyyyyyy cold!
Totally agree! I almost went there but they day I toured it was freezing and there was no way I was walking up and down that hill in the winter lol. Gorgeous campus though!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Latest posts

Back