All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Very good advice. And type #1 kids are usually the ones you see transfer in about a year. Cheering is great but college is SO much more than that.

YES.

Again, there is nothing wrong with letting cheer guide your decision-making, I just really would recommend making sure that you LIKE your cheer schools for more reasons than just cheer. Ex: There are kids who choose UL, UK, SFA, for cheer who knew that they'd like it whether they cheered there or not.

I always tell kids to ask themselves: "If you were somehow really hurt this year and your season was ended, would you want to stay?"

YES.

Again, there is nothing wrong with letting cheer guide your decision-making, I just really would recommend making sure that you LIKE your cheer schools for more reasons than just cheer. Ex: There are kids who choose UL, UK, SFA, for cheer who knew that they'd like it whether they cheered there or not.

I always tell kids to ask themselves: "If you were somehow really hurt this year and your season was ended, would you want to stay?"

seriously, this is so important! i opted not to cheer in college. but i did choose a school based on the major that 17 year old me wanted to do. the school had an accelerated program, awesome facilities for the students within the program. it was a dream. then, when i realized that wasn't what i really wanted to do with my life, i was miserable when you took that program out of the equation. slightly different scenario, obviously, but all the same. if you remove the #1 reason you want to attend a school, are #2, #3, #4, #5 etc. strong enough reasons to make you want to stay?

Should education come before cheer yes, but I know so many people who go to College, change their majors the first year, decide they need to switch to a junior college to help with the transition, switch Colleges to move back closer to home, stay were they are at, but realize College B would have been a better choice than College A, etc. Also, there are lots of great Colleges to pick from. So, if you feel College A, B, and C are all good choices, but College B can provide you the cheer opportunity then why not go for College B.

The higher the level, the higher the weeding out process. Goes with the territory with all sports. I suppose college cheer is also more about having that "it" factor that goes beyond the skills needed in all-star cheer to cheer at the highest level. I'm no expert here but it sounds like some of these high level athletes might be better suited in college being on a competitive tumbling and acrobat team or gymnastics team.

The higher the level, the higher the weeding out process. Goes with the territory with all sports. I suppose college cheer is also more about having that "it" factor that goes beyond the skills needed in all-star cheer to cheer at the highest level. I'm no expert here but it sounds like some of these high level athletes might be better suited in college being on a competitive tumbling and acrobat team or gymnastics team.

Please change your avatar. I'm creeped out.

seriously, this is so important! i opted not to cheer in college. but i did choose a school based on the major that 17 year old me wanted to do. the school had an accelerated program, awesome facilities for the students within the program. it was a dream. then, when i realized that wasn't what i really wanted to do with my life, i was miserable when you took that program out of the equation. slightly different scenario, obviously, but all the same. if you remove the #1 reason you want to attend a school, are #2, #3, #4, #5 etc. strong enough reasons to make you want to stay?

I chose my school based of my major. Granted I've been pretty consistent with this major/ career path since I was little. However I'm apart of the cheer program, that I've idolized since I was little, close to home and plan on joining Greek life. I knew that even if I didn't make the team I'd have other great things going for me there. My brother changed his major even though he picked his school bc of his major (he didn't grow up with one major in mind). He didn't transfer because he genuinely likes the school.

So you guys are making me feel a lot better about my tryout on Sunday.
-I both fly and base
-I have tons of gameday experience
-I know how to look the part (my school recently switched to UCA style)
-I'm always early & never talk back to a coach

The only thing I'm worried will hold me back is tumbling. It's been hard to regain my skills after an injury and I'm gonna keep working through the summer. But thanks for all the advice guys and you're probably all sick of me posting 104995940 times how nervous I am haha but I want this so badly

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
So.... how did tryouts go?

I think another thing teams look at is attitude and coach-ability. I've seen top tier athletes cut from teams because they were not team players and played the well I am better than everyone else so I do what I want game. And that goes for most sports.

Pitt's Hockey program recently cut a third year veteran because he was, for lack of a better word, a douche. The coaches hated working with him, his teammates barely spoke to him, and the only thing he brought to the table was his ability to score goals but even his numbers were low because he refused to pass and made it all about himself.

Latest posts

Back