All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I...wouldn't do that. I got in to Tulane in mid-October (they had a wicked easy application and a two-week notification period so I figured why not) and UMaine on Halloween. I promptly then shut down academically (I mean, why not?! I had college options) and due to a variety of factors barely ended up passing calc.

Part of me wishes I had just only applied regular early action rather than super-duper-early action.
I did early admission everywhere, but it wasn't quite that early. Most of mine were due by October to find out before Christmas of my senior year, which was the perfect amount of time to keep me on my toes academically, I think. I never really coasted at all senior year because I was in a couple APs I would looking to carry into college for credit.

I did early admission everywhere, but it wasn't quite that early. Most of mine were due by October to find out before Christmas of my senior year, which was the perfect amount of time to keep me on my toes academically, I think. I never really coasted at all senior year because I was in a couple APs I would looking to carry into college for credit.

Even with regular admission, most colleges only see your first semester of grades anyway. I don't know how much academic stress it really saves you.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's what I did for the other schools I applied to. Much better than finding out in OCTOBER that you're done.

There are some schools (typically ones that are competitive admissions-wise) at which they ask that you send in later grades as you are early admitted but that early admit is conditional. As in, you can early admit but it's contingent on maintaining that standard as of your final transcript.

I am not a huge fan of college cheer clinics. Is there any skill for your allstar team can you actually learn in a day? Then suddenly a college can actually teach you? Go to learn the motions and fight song (read earlier how those are important). If you are a potential college flyer make friends with the boys and go stunt with them. Don't be annoying to the coach but show genuine interest and start a dialogue early. If you are a true base and do not have the potential to be a coed flyer make sure you manage your expectations and are looking at programs that can use your skills. I have seen so many amazing bases who can't coed well and are very defeated. Remember that every coach will be nice and sunshine at a clinic. Go to a practice to see how it is actually run. I am not a fan of closed things personally so there is not anything we close off (wanna come watch a slow summer practice where most people are out of town? come on down!). Clinics help colleges make money but if an athlete comes in who is more talented at every category than you and didnt go to the clinic they will probably chose the more talented athlete. Hanging out with a program on non-clinic days is more effective than going to their clinics.

Know that for an extremely top level program, ex UK, these suggestions don't necessarily apply.
Thank you for all of the info on this thread. I have been sharing it with my CP. That being said, when would you suggest "starting a dialogue" with the colleges? My CP is a sophomore. THANKS in advance!

Thank you for all of the info on this thread. I have been sharing it with my CP. That being said, when would you suggest "starting a dialogue" with the colleges? My CP is a sophomore. THANKS in advance!

The counselors at our high school suggested college visits in the late fall or early spring. That way you can narrow down the choices on which colleges you will send your ACT and/or SAT scores to since you get to send reports to four schools free.

I started visiting colleges in junior year. I knew I was mostly going to apply early action.

Oh one last thing about College apps that would have saved me a few headaches. Use CommonApp for everything! It makes everything so much easier and write two college essays in the summer before senior year. Some schools will require a full blown essay but others will require short answers. If you have two already written you can tweak one for the essay and copy/paste certain things into the short response. It will save you so much time and you will thank me in the future!

I started visiting the summer going in to my sophomore year, but didn't do the bulk of them till the following summer. I would say start the dialog going in to 10th and schedule visits for the following summer/fall.

Research the deadlines early!

I started visiting schools the summer after sophomore year, but I've only done a few. I'll be doing more this summer (after junior year) and fall if we can't fit it in

I'd start now. She should be sort of thinking about where she'd like to attend from an educational standpoint so junior year can be about visiting schools, the SAT, and getting ducks in a row to apply.

You also need to decide if she would like to factor cheer into their choice of schools to consider.

There are 2 types of kids:

1. Ones who think about where they want to CHEER and select schools to visit based on that.

2.Ones who think about where they'd like to attend SCHOOL and then look at cheer programs at those schools.

I'd recommend number 2 but there are some kids who let cheer guide their college decisions. And that's fine too as long as you know that you will not be cheering 24/7 and that you may actually hate the school outside of cheer.

Some other things you can start to think about:

What are my strengths and weaknesses in cheer?

Do I want a coed or all girl experience?

Do I want to compete? Do I want to compete UCA or NCA style?

How do I feel about gameday? Do I want a huge D1 game day experience or something a little less intense. Also, consider that if you "hate cheering games" college cheer may not be for you. Unless you're cheering club, games are part of it. If you absolutely hate cheering games, but want to compete, you may want to research Acro and Tumbling.

I'd start now. She should be sort of thinking about where she'd like to attend from an educational standpoint so junior year can be about visiting schools, the SAT, and getting ducks in a row to apply.

You also need to decide if she would like to factor cheer into their choice of schools to consider.

1. Ones who think about where they want to CHEER and select schools to visit based on that.

2.Ones who think about where they'd like to attend SCHOOL and then look at cheer programs at those schools.

I'd recommend number 2 but there are some kids who let cheer guide their college decisions. And that's fine too as long as you know that you will not be cheering 24/7 and that you may actually hate the school outside of cheer.

How do I feel about gameday? Do I want a huge D1 game day experience or something a little less intense. Also, consider that if you "hate cheering games" college cheer may not be for you. Unless you're cheering club, games are part of it. If you absolutely hate cheering games, but want to compete, you may want to research Acro and Tumbling.

Very good advice. And type #1 kids are usually the ones you see transfer in about a year. Cheering is great but college is SO much more than that.

As I'm reading through this, I am agreeing with ALL of this and I am also VERY thankful that my 3rd and final child is going off to college in the Fall because it just makes me realize how difficult it really is to actually make a decision about attending college. There are SO many factors to consider and I now realize what a 'newbie' I was when my first child went to college; then when CP was choosing where to go to college and cheer, it was alittle easier, but there were still so many factors to consider, and whew, with this last one I felt like a pro (not really), but it got a lot easier with each one!
So, don't fret, it does sound daunting, but being organized and figuring out what you need to do and when will make it all seem so much less stressful than it sounds!!

I am the 1st kind of kid, but I think skill has a lot to play into it. Although we've seen that L5 Worlds medalist aren't guaranteed a spot, when you are a solid L5 you can look at cheer as main aspect. Ex. You want to cheer in college, find the teams you like the most (NCA v. UCA), visit and narrow it down to whatever school you're into academically and socially. I think this can also play into how they are in game day. If you love your school the spirit will come naturally. I personally am not Miss Peppy Cheerleader, but I LOVE my highschool and on game day I'm the one with crazy superstition and having panic attacks on the sidelines.

It shocks me kids are thinking about it SO early! I did not even think about college until the end of my junior year. I figured I'd go to an in state school and didn't think much of it. I did not tour until summer before senior year. I ended up disliking the school I thought I'd go to, and ended up loving the school I had as my third and safety school. I would have cheered if I'd ended up at the first school, but I did not end up there.

Had I chosen a school based on cheer, I would not be as happy as I am at my current school, and I'm saving a lot more money.

I think people should go to school where they feel comfortable and where you can get a good education, NOT where you might be able to continue your cheerleading career. While I miss cheerleading severely, there IS a life after cheer, and something that affects the rest of a person's life should not be jeopardized because they didn't make a team or they can't cheer there.

Back