How do you tumble faster?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

one thing i use to do to improve my tumbling speed was starting from a handstand snapdown and connecting that to backhandspring series or tucks or whatever pass i was working on. learning how to get that power and speed from a stopped position really will help when its used normally

There is a lot of good advice above - the best of which I thought was "listen". All true that turning your hip under quickly using the core (upper abs versus lower abs ... upper abs = hollow; lower abs = pike), staying on your toes so that you can rebound, and squeezing the legs so that the springs in the floor engage versus relying on the human springs (a.k.a. knees) are terrific corrections to help you tumble faster and more consistently; however, listening to a good coach is your best method of improvement!

I have three tips.
1) in backhandsprings throw your arms. Obviously don't bend then or let your head follow.
2) out o your round off try and pull your feet through to front and lock out
3) hurtle forward and stretch your round of to increase power

I fairly new to cheerleading. I started about five months ago. I have a back handspring and a tuck. I can do a round off back handspring back tuck, a standing back handspring tuck and am now working on a standing double back handspring back tuck

I've seen videos of college cheerleaders (I think it was Louisville), where the guy did a standing full, double handspring to double full. And it was SO FAST. Like, literally, the speed at which he was tumbling from a standing position was faster than the speed I have from a power hurdle or round off!

Here's the video, it's in the beginning. It's the guy in the center:

My coach has also wondered how I even make it around since I tumble so slow. I'm really tall, 6 feet 2 inches and weigh about 210. I also stunt, but really want to get my tumbling to be faster because honestly, it just looks cooler, lol.

Anyone got any suggestions?

It's all in your core! Also, Make sure you are "blocking" from your shoulders...not your elbows.

i was a pretty slow tumbler and one coach was like "look everyone! if it wasnt for her form, she wouldnt be able to do her second bhs!" (<that made me pretty mad,but that was a while ago) but one day it just clicked and i tumbled faster... i really dont know what happened. just keep working :)

For running tumbling, run faster & harder, stretch out your roundoffs/handsprings, and snap your heels down quick

i was a pretty slow tumbler and one coach was like "look everyone! if it wasnt for her form, she wouldnt be able to do her second bhs!" (<that made me pretty mad,but that was a while ago) but one day it just clicked and i tumbled faster... i really dont know what happened. just keep working :)
You're right. It more than likely comes with experience in tumbling, when you no longer think about it and just do what you have to do. Aha.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

in running tumbling its all in your round-off it has to be strong and powerful
&& tumble off the tips of your fingers and toes

This is the one thing I've never had a problem with in tumbling, I've always tumbled really fast. I have problems with pretty much everything else but I stay really tight most of the time and I think that that's why I tumble so fast

I hear you on the hight issue ( being tall is such a pain)
Be really tight in your legs and arms

Seeing is believing and you're looking at the best, six years of excellence, LIBERTY OH YES! <3

Back