How Does Choreography Work?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2015
This is my first time going to cheer choreography and I am just curious to how it works. Ours is two days from 9-3 and we are a senior level 4.2 if that helps any. I was a gymnast and I know how that works but it was just me and my coach. And with cheerleading it is like 25 girls. Thanks for any advice given!

Probably the same way your gymnastics routine was done but larger scale.

In real basic terms The choreographer may have a rough routine in mind but they will just start placing kids and telling them where to go next. Someone will normally take notes so the coaches can learn the routine and work with the team perfecting it after the choreographer leaves. The kids will repetitively runs parts of the routine to help retain it.

It can be a very stressful and mentally exhausting process for the kids.

Not sure who is doing your choreography but from experience I can tell you not all choreographers are the nicest people in the world.

**hmmmmm, did I take my meds today?**

I'm a cheer mom and my girl is only a tiny, but I imagine it works (basically) the same way. Last year choreography involved learning their formations, cheer, and started working on their dance. Being tinies of course they learned what they could remember so as a senior you'll probably learn more. I will say also though, every team at our gym last year kind of evolved their routines throughout the year. So for us, choreography is the basic framework of what will become the routine for Nationals.

Basically you go for those two day somebody comes in or its your coach they teach you all the dance for the entire routine or give options and then you learn it and go from there

Back