High School How Many Cheer Teams Does Your School Have?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our school has 2, Varsity and JV. They both cheer for home football and basketball games and compete. Varsity cheers for away football and basketball games.

Technically 6 if you combine the 2 seasons but JV & Varsity Football then Basketball we have JV (White) Game Squad JV (Silver) Competition Squad, Varsity (Blue) Game Squad, Varsity (Black) Competition. Everyone that is on the compeititon squad must cheer at the games to be able to compete but there are people on the game squads that can't compete because of talent or because they must work and can't get every weekend off.

Freshmen fall and winter season
JV fall and winter season
Varsity fall and winter season
all three compete and cheer at football and basketball games and each team has around 30 girls on it!

Freshmen fall and winter season
JV fall and winter season
Varsity fall and winter season
all three compete and cheer at football and basketball games and each team has around 30 girls on it!

Big school I'm guessing haha thats great though most schools don't allow freshmen team or for there to be that many kids on 1 team

Big school I'm guessing haha thats great though most schools don't allow freshmen team or for there to be that many kids on 1 team
we have almost 600 in every graduating class so we are pretty big we had to make a separate school for just freshmen because our high school couldn't fit all 4 grades anymore. we are the biggest school in section V!

we have almost 600 in every graduating class so we are pretty big we had to make a separate school for just freshmen because our high school couldn't fit all 4 grades anymore. we are the biggest school in section V!

Yeah that's how my school. I graduated from Saratoga Springs High School.

My first HS:
Freshman Fall- 20 girls (only cheered at freshman footballs games)
JV fall- 20 girls (cheered at JV football games & competitions, many girls from this team also cheered at varsity games)
Varsity fall- 20 girls (cheered at Varsity footbal games and comps)
JV Winter- 30 girls (cheered at JV bball games, only 20 made the mat though for comps)
Varsity Winter- 20 girls (cheered at Varsity games and comps)
The JV and Varsity teams were mostly the same for both seasons, except some cheerleaders did gymnastics, so a couple JV girls would move up to Varsity, and Freshman would fill the 10 new spots on JV for bball games and the spots from the girls that moved to Varsity. I liked this alot it gaves girls a chance to move up in the winter if they worked really hard in the fall.

Second HS:
JV game- 20 girls (cheers at all JV football and bball games, doesnt compete)
Varsity game- 30 girls (cheers at all Varsity football and bball games) -only for sophomores, juniors and seniors, and only the freshman if there are spots open. If there are only 28 sophs, juniors, and seniors, then 2 freshman will be on both JV and Varsity. But this never happens, quite a large program.
Varsity Competition- 20 girls, made up of the best from the whole program, can be any grade

High school I coach at:
JV game -20 freshman and sophomores girls (cheers at football and bball games, doesnt compete)
Varsity Fall game -juniors and seniors 20 girls (cheers at football and bball games, doesnt compete)
Competition- Best 20-25 girls in the program, its a real fight for those spots.

2 - Varsity Black & Varsity White - both compete Level 5 and both cheer Basketball & Volleyball games (we are an all-girl school)

In the fall we have Football, Soccer (jv kinda team), JV comp, and Varsity comp. Girls crossover from the comp teams to the sideline teams if they want to. Some girls only cheer one or the other based on preference. In the winter girls re-tryout for basketball and jv basketball, the comp teams stay the same obviously. Comp girls aren't allowed to try out for basketball because of the huge time commitment. We always have around 75 girls in the program!

Well my school only has one varsity team, but two seasons. You could choose the basketball/competition season or the football season.

wow, some school have 6?! we only have 2, jv and varsity, both cheer at football games, boys&girls basketball, and compete locally and out of state

Freshman Football
Freshman Basketball
JV Football(10th)
JV Basketball(10th)
Varsity Football(10th,11th,12th)
Varsity Basketball(10th,11th,12th)
Varsity Competition(includes girls of all ages; freshman-senior)
and sometimes a JV competition depending on numbers
The football/basketball teams differ on what teams the girls tryout for

This sounds crazy, but at my school we had 9. People were only allowed to do one sport so each squad was separate.

Freshman Football
Freshman Basketball
JV Football
JV Basketball
JV Soccer
Varsity Football
Varsity Basketball
Varsity Soccer
Competition

Back