High School How Many Cheer Teams Does Your School Have?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

4 - Freshman, JV, Varsity (Cheers For All Sports The Whole School Year), and Competition (Top 15 Cheerleaders from All 3 Teams)

6 teams! =)
  • Varsity Football & Competition
  • Varsity Basketball
  • JV Competition
  • JV Football
  • Freshman Football
  • JV Basketball/ 9th Basketball

my high school had jv football, varsity football (although some years there weren't enough for JV and we were all one big team. this happened when i was in high school) that just does sidelines and a halftime routine. varsity cheers for home and away varsity football and i'm not entirely sure what JV does because one didn't exist when i cheered in high school...but i'm assuming it's home and away jv football. there are no fall competitions in maine. there was then jv and varsity basketball during the winter season, and varsity competes. i do not think there are any jv competitions.

i've heard of some schools having football squads, then in the winter they have hockey, basketball and competition squads. however, to cheer on the competition squad you had to also do basketball or hockey.

freshmen football sideline
jv football sideline
varsity football sideline

jv competition
varsity competition.

My school has 2 teams, JV & Varsity with 2 seasons. One in the fall for football and one in the winter for basketball. Both teams cheer on the sidelines and in the fall we go to 2 invitationals and then our county wide competition and in the winter we also compete in our county wide competition. If varsity places in the top 3 they move on to regionals, states, etc.

my high school i graduated from has three teams....

JV
Varsity
and a Special Needs team that a few JV girls started when I was a Junior...

also both teams cheer for football/basketball and compete.

Holy moly!!! We are a pretty big school but only have one team lol Varsity - its also a competition squad with 20 girls!

JV and Varsity. Both compete and cheer football and basketball.

My daughters school is a little different.
Freshmen can't cheer so there is no freshmen team. And then at the end of your freshmen year you can try out and make either JV or Varsity. Varsity cheers at all football (home and away) and then basketball (home). JV cheers at either the freshmen or JV football games (depending on whos home, school district cut away bussing for JV cheer)and then only home basketball games. Then for the competition squad all Varsity and JV members are required to try out and the one's who make it compete 3-4 times per season.

My daughters school is a little different.
Freshmen can't cheer so there is no freshmen team. And then at the end of your freshmen year you can try out and make either JV or Varsity. Varsity cheers at all football (home and away) and then basketball (home). JV cheers at either the freshmen or JV football games (depending on whos home, school district cut away bussing for JV cheer)and then only home basketball games. Then for the competition squad all Varsity and JV members are required to try out and the one's who make it compete 3-4 times per season.
Wow, does this school have a thing against JV cheer? Seems like a very strict season for those girls who can't cheer at away games AND no Freshman on cheer???

Back