For Parents How many days/hours per week is too much? (Tumbling classes)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 31, 2022
Hello,

Newbie in the cheer world, I have a 9 year old who currently practices 3x a week for 2hrs and is currently taking tumbling classes. Now, when do we draw the line of to much tumbling class? I do not want to over work my 9 year old with so many hours of cheer practice + tumbling classes. Is 3 hrs per week (tumbling class) too much for a 9 year old? Should we just stick 1hr a week? 2hrs?

Thank you 😊

If she wants to go that often and is enthusiastic about each session that would be fine with me, as a mom. I would help her prioritize things that conflict, honoring her commitment to team first until the season ends, and maybe cutting back classes when she wants to ( or needs to) do other things.

If she wants to go that often and is enthusiastic about each session that would be fine with me, as a mom. I would help her prioritize things that conflict, honoring her commitment to team first until the season ends, and maybe cutting back classes when she wants to ( or needs to) do other things.
I the main reason I wanted to add hours is because I noted my daughter regressing with some tumbling skills ..

I the main reason I wanted to add hours is because I noted my daughter regressing with some tumbling skills ..
If she's regressing, I suggest one 30 minute private per week and forego the group lessons for awhile. Group lessons can be great, however, they can also be the place where repetition puts bad habits to muscle memory. Absolutely no shade to coaches in group settings, because just like academics, it is hard to give extra attention over and above what is planned for a normal class. They say a thirty minute session with a tutor is like 8 hours in the classroom, I'd say it's similar with private lessons versus group lessons, as well.

Back