OT How Someone Becomes A Cheerlebrity (not What You Think I Promise)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Fame is a fickle thing. Most of the people are pretty (Actually, most allstar girls are gorgeous. Well done cheer genes!). Most of this current generation moving through got to be this way because of ProX/2by2/the Internet Generation..older ones were people you saw at competitions if you were lucky to be in a big gym/went to those competitions or on Worlds vids on Youtube. Facebook has evolved with this gen, and so has the contact. When I started using fbook, you needed to be IN COLLEGE, so it wasn't quite usable for this sort of thing. Now everyone and their Auntie's Dog can have one and does..so contacting them/forming fan pages (usually fake)/essentially stalking their every move is EASY.

I truly think this current group never had the intention of this happening, or it EVER getting this big. I think they intended to have some fun videos of them made and put on youtube, or just did what they do really well. Youtube wasn't created to make people famous- it was CREATED (way back when) as a way to share and store online videos. And I will firmly believe that's how it started for many of these girls. We're talking when all these videos FIRST came out. What helped them rise to the top was the EDITING- well-edited videos get thousands more hits than a bunch of random pictures/fuzzy video. And then people ask for more, for certain girls they've seen at competitions or on videos. People sees a pretty cheerleader who is well rounded and level 5, they want to be like her. See a cute boy who tumbles really well/has fierce jumps/a beast base, they want to friend him. A girl with GORGEOUS flyer lines- they want to fly like her. Someone who can tumble their knees off- you want those elusive skills.

It's not JUST about being talented- it's talent, looks, floor charisma, people interaction skills..having a signature skill (tumbling pass, jump sequence, fun move during the routine/dance or flying skill) doesn't hurt either. Look at this crop of girls/guys- most are well spoken, draw you in on the floor when they perform, and do what they do WELL.

I miss the days when you heard about great cheerleaders in your gym and other people knew about them too but it wasn't a HUGE deal. I mean I think all these "cheerlebrities" are great for some of the younger girls to look up to but in all reality there are MANY level 5 cheerleaders who aren't "cheerlebrities" who should still get recognition but don't. I don't find myself flustered in the presence of certain cheer celebs either. I think they are just like other people and that younger cheerleaders should know that "fame" isn't what cheer is about. Because when those girls walk back into their highschool or go to a mall they are nothing but another shopper or student.

Back