How To Diss Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 8, 2012
So i'm only relatively new to cheer and i was at tumbling last night and my cheer coach really badly wants to get a double full in my tumbling. so i was practicing 1 1/2 twist. and finally when i went for the double i did on good one and then when i went for my second one i slipped slightly during my final back handspring and still went for the double full and landed on my head. At first I was in shock and sat down for a while and then went and did some simple fulls. But now everytime even when I try really hard for just a 1 1/2 twist my body just won't let me. This is the SECOND time i've lost my double twists. Any tips? Ideas? I really want them back. :(

Just remember when you're tumbling it's not a thought, it's a feeling. Your body knows what to do, but if you think about it your mind will stop you. So just let your body do the skill :) I had a mental block and when a coach said this to me it helped a lot. It did take time for me to gain my confidence, but eventually I was back to throwing my skills!

Go little by little. Do a full + 1/8 twist. Then do a full + 1/4 a twist. Then 1/3, then 1/2. Just keep working your way around until the muscle memory comes back and your brain has calmed down. It worked for me when I was scared to go from a half twist layout to a full.

Remember all the times you performed the skill, clear your mind before going and dont think to hard... If you still aren't doing it I would chant to myself "I Don't have it, I've had it..." a few times and it boost my confidence :D

Back