Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
Step 1. BECOME A MEMBER. If you are not a gym, coach, or athlete member you really don't have any right to complain. I know it doesn't mean you won't, but it's the easiest way to support the organization you like to say is screwing everything up.

Step 2. BE CONSTRUCTIVE. When you witness or hear about a mistake made, legality, cheating, etc then bring it up to someone. It is very constructive to discuss things on this board to understand them more or get clarification, but at some point the question has to be asked officially and then wait (be patient) for the official response. While you ar waiting, complaining more does not bring the response any quicker or help people understand the situation any better.

Step 3. UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION. There are so many levels to this. a) Read the rules b) read the scoresheet c) read the various things posted on the websites for your information c) ask questions for clarification when you need to.

What I want you all to know is that I also saw things that I didn't like or understand years ago. Since I became a member of the USASF Parent Action Committee I've met a few more people and read a few more things but most of the information I've learned was there all along.

The USASF staff is much smaller than you think. It's really only about 10 (I don't know the exact number) full time positions. The rest of the people on all of the many committees you see on the website have full time jobs and they put lots of volunteer or partially-compensated (as in not paid nearly as much as they work) effort into making this sport better. Everyone I know is very passionate about doing the best thing for the sport. They cannot possibly accomplish all the things you want accomplished and never will until everyone supports their governing body (becomes a member). Like it or not it is way better than 10 years ago and the only viable governing body at any level of cheerleading today.

Please feel free to post things you would like to see the USASF do better. Please follow the above 3 rules first. I will try to answer what I can or forward what I can't answer. Feel free to PM me or any member of the USASF PAC to bring up things you would like better but don't want to post. You can also post questions or discussions on the Cheer Parents Online message board at cheerparentsonline.com

Again, when you post a frustration, please realize the limitations of a small group of people who are running a large sport. Also please be patient if you post anything here if you don't get a response right away.

I'm going to bump this. I'd seriously like to get suggestions on what to improve all in one place rather than multiple threads.

Maybe it'll help focus the direction they take this year, maybe not.

Why is every athlete not required to be a member of the governing assoc. in cheerleading? In gymnasticcs, the fees and memberships where required upon registration at the gym (on a team) .

We have not started requesting applications for the Parent Action Committee for next year yet. We'll post here, on our message board www.cheerparentsonline.com and on Facebook when we do.

That was voted in this last year. It is not final how they are going to implement it.

Thats a shame, i'm deff old enough to have a CP but just haven't got to that part of my life :) it might give a new and different perspective, and different perspectives often lead to good change :D

Agreed. It would be nice to give those who are not yet cheer parents but still involved with the sport some room to talk. Im anxious to see what improvements will be made in the next few years.

Off topic a little bit, anyone know when they'll be releasing the new rules?

From Les' response in the Questions You Want Answered about Worlds thread:

I hope this clears up or at least helps some of your questions about the Worlds event. I look forward to putting this year behind us, learning form the event on what worked, what didn't and how we can improve so that we can make each year better and better.
To give you a heads up on what is new.
1. We have finished our conference calls on the new rules and they should be up "relatively" soon. There are a few new things that should make some levels happy.
2. Athletes that leave one gym and join another will only be regulated if attending Worlds (same as last year). We used Worlds as the test model last year and we are SO glad we did. There are so many details and variables to consider before this is moved to a national rule.

plyman1 said:
Why is every athlete not required to be a member of the governing assoc. in cheerleading? In gymnasticcs, the fees and memberships where required upon registration at the gym (on a team) .

It's my understanding that this is being phased in. For 2011 (and 2010, I think) athletes competing at Worlds had to be members. I believe it moves to all athletes this season.

From Les' response in the Questions You Want Answered about Worlds thread:

I hope this clears up or at least helps some of your questions about the Worlds event. I look forward to putting this year behind us, learning form the event on what worked, what didn't and how we can improve so that we can make each year better and better.
To give you a heads up on what is new.
1. We have finished our conference calls on the new rules and they should be up "relatively" soon. There are a few new things that should make some levels happy.
2. Athletes that leave one gym and join another will only be regulated if attending Worlds (same as last year). We used Worlds as the test model last year and we are SO glad we did. There are so many details and variables to consider before this is moved to a national rule.

Thank you! You're awesome for taking your own time to get questions/concerns answered!

Back