How To Get My Toe Touch Backhandspring?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2011
Ok. So today my team and I rehearsed are competition routine, I'm not much of a tumbler but my WHOLE team is choregraphed to throw toe touch backhandsprings during a count. I don't exactly have my backhandspring on the ground by myself. I would really like to get this skill before competition because I really want the whole team to able to showcase it. Any tips on how to improve/practice this skill? I go to tumbling sessions so I'll be able to practice there but what about excersises/drills? I'm NOT inexperienced. : ) Thank you, wish me luck!

first you'd want the backhandspring pretty perfect.. & then work on a tumble track. toe touchs & reaching back as soon as you land for the handspring. after getting it on there use a wedge mat (w/ or w/o spot your choice) then, spot on the floor & then by yourself. :)
i hope you get it! good luck

Once you get the back handspring by yourself it's pretty easy to add it after any jump combo. Just work really hard on getting a solid back handspring on the floor.

Use as much tumbling equipment you can use at your gym...their tools to help you. Could you come into the gym a little bit earlier to work on them? Or could you take classes (preferably privates)? I would first master a BHS before the toe BHS. Once you get your back HS, work on toe back HS. DON'T RUSH OUT OF YOUR TOE TOUCH RIGHT INTO THE BHS! Trust me lol :)

Not to freak you out but it took me 4 years after getting my standing bhs to get a jump bhs haha. My only problem was that I was so completely mental about it. You just gotta not let your mind or fear get to you. The way I ended up doing it was I just kept pausing in between the jump and bhs and one day i threw them together without even realizing it. I realized like 10 minutes later that I threw it and was ecstatic. So really once you get your bhs you just gotta go for it and you'll be fine!

Back